*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

struggling with starting the latest Bosch conversion help

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: struggling with starting the latest Bosch conversion hel

Postby Chug » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:52 am

That is a good price, I know Diesel Bob in England charges £250 - £300 for a full IP refubishment.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mac1984 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:52 pm

I was out for a little test-drive, maybe 30 mins or so.

I does drive ok, but acceleration seems a bit sluggish. The engine definitely warms up much quicker and seems to be hotter then usual. I wonder if that is a sign of a wrong setup? I am not sure what exactly to adjust on this pump, I have read through a few treads regarding the Bosch pump though.

Is it possible that the timing could be a bit too advanced?

I am trying to get some opinions before starting to temper with the pump just.

The temp gauge individcator needle stays at the same position as before with the epic, just like I said it climbs
Much sooner then before, usually takes ages to warm this engine up.

Thanks for any advice guys
1996 2.5TD Bosch Mod, Bio degradable Body from factory but outlived its manufacturing plant.
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:31 pm

The screw on the back of the pump does max fuel top end, wind it in till it just smokes under full throttle and then back of a touch, the one in the top of the pump housing does low end and acceleration, same again wind it in a turn and see how it goes, and try a run up the road then qtr of a turn until it is best spot you will know by acceleration, sound, smoke etc...then you will have to adjust tickover speed.

Not sure if the pump setup would make that much difference to engine warm up temp but I'm no expert. :D
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mac1984 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:47 pm

Hi chuggy.

i have read somewhere else on here that an engine was overheating after the pump installation, so it must have something to do with it.
has not the amount of fuel to do with internal cooling also? but then my consumption seems higher then before...

im not sure. The fuel consumption is nuts though, i may also have a leak somewhere,
but the tank was full before i did the mod, and now i maybe drove 90 kms and the indicator is almost at the 1/2 mark on the tank gauge. with the epic i did around 400 km with a full tank.

i have a high roof, so there is loads of drag, used to have swb low roof banana before and reached around 700 km with full tank :-)

Anyway, something is dodgy, thats for sure.

thanks for your help so far

Ps: to lower the idle, is it just the stop screw at the lever? I have noticed if i start the engine cold it sits at around 1000 rpm, but soon it goes up to 1400 or 1500, and stays there for the rest of the time.

I hope i have time tomorrow to adress this all, as i dont want to break anything AGAIN :twisted:
1996 2.5TD Bosch Mod, Bio degradable Body from factory but outlived its manufacturing plant.
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:29 pm

Mac1984 wrote:The fuel consumption is nuts though, i may also have a leak somewhere,
but the tank was full before i did the mod, and now i maybe drove 90 kms and the indicator is almost at the 1/2 mark on the tank gauge. with the epic i did around 400 km with a full tank.

i have a high roof, so there is loads of drag, used to have swb low roof banana before and reached around 700 km with full tank :-)

400km out of a tank... :shock: Something is definitely wrong...I get over 1000kms out of mine on most fills....with a load in I get over 900kms at worst.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Chug » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:36 pm

yes idle adjustment is on throttle lever screw, I'm still not convinced that the pump can make any significant affect on warm up temp that would be noticeable but I'm still not to old to learn something.
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby twin wheel camper » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:01 am

knobby1 wrote:
Mac1984 wrote:The fuel consumption is nuts though, i may also have a leak somewhere,

400km out of a tank... :shock: Something is definitely wrong...I get over 1000kms out of mine on most fills....with a load in I get over 900kms at worst.

Lord Knobrot

400 km on a full isn’t great mpg my 97 TD with a Bosch pump fitted is doing around 330-350 MILES to a fill and that works out around 23-25MPG and it’s always 100% loaded to minimum of 3.2 TONS and also has to tow a 14FT Iforwilliams trailer a few times each fill although it does be empty but still weights 900KGS.
In saying that I never really drive over 50MPH and spend 99% of my time on rural roads doing no more than 20-30 miles per day so fairly short journeys.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mac1984 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:47 am

Well I would say the roof, my van is almost 3 meters high , contributes to the fuel consumption. With the epic I never really drove under 10 L per 100km.

I don't know what else can be factor other then pump setup or leak. I need to get it fixed soon or I will just pour diesel into the engine. I can't see any smoke when driving or in idle, which does not look like it's running too rich?
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mac1984 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:20 pm

Ok i was playing around a bit this evening, unfortunately I found the head of the idle adjust screw pretty worn, also the screw itselfs seems to be very tight. I have to see at work tomorrow, maybe I am able to get some kind of vise grip to turn the screw back from the front.

Since I couldn't turn the screw, I tried to slacken the torx heads on top of the accelerator lever, in an attempt to move the spring back while the arm stays at the stop, but this didn't really work. Still idles around 1500 rpm.

As far as I can see, there is no smoke development at all?
I drove around again today, even when I floor it, there is nothing smoking at all, yet it seems to drink a lot

I discovered that the fitting of the return pipe on the pump ( where the 2 copper washers are) was a bit wet, and I tightened that up a bit more.

Local garages seem very reluctant to take on adjustment of this pump, but I assume that's because they don't know where to plug in the laptop :lol:

I rang a few places and when they heard it's about a mechanical injection pump, they weren't as interested as before ;-)

So my last hope is DIY or maybe the local ford transit center,but I suppose that only works if there is a pre millennial working there.

Anyway, first i try to get this idle rpm down.
The never ending story keeps going on.
Thanks for tuning in guys and helping me out to get this far.
A few weeks ago, in the snow, even a running van seemed as far away as a mars mission.
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby twin wheel camper » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:43 pm

I seem to remember on here someone saying you need to bend the throttle pedal on certain pumps to get the idle to correct level :idea: a 141 pump maybe :!:
I’m not sure but I think it’s worth checking out, just remove the cable from the pump and see if it drops the revs, might not be your problem but only will take a minute or less to check it.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mac1984 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:39 pm

Thanks for the tip, twin wheel camper.

I give it a shot, sure nothing to loose at this stage.

Definitely a good point, my throttle pedal is a bit bent already as I have a LHD van and in this part of Europe an LHD pedal is hard to get :lol: :lol:

Cheers for all the help so far
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:47 pm

Hello Mac

Low speed fuel/smoke adjustment
There is a small cap in the centre of the flying saucer on top of the pump (marked Smoke Adjustment Screw in pic above) Prize this cap off.
Beneath the cap is a 4mm allen screw and a lock nut that holds it. The locknut is 13 mm, loosen the lock nut and turn the 4mm allen screw clockwise and re-tighten the locknut, rev it to half throttle and see if it smokes, but a quick road test to assess acceleration and smoke is best.
For additional fuel (and smoke) the screw may be turned further clockwise. Back it off to reduce smoke.

Max fuel/smoke adjustment
On the rear of the pump, (marked power adjustment screw in the pic above) partially hidden by the fuel lines, above the stop solenoid and usually with an anti-tamper cap is the max fuel adjustment screw.
Remove the anti tamper cap and loosen the 13mm lock nut, and turn the adjustment screw clockwise and re-tighten the locknut.
Give it full throttle and see how it smokes, but a quick road test to see how smokey it is under full throttle acceleration is best.
For additional fuel (and smoke) the screw may be turned further clockwise. Back it off to reduce smoke.
After adjusting this you may need to re-adjust the Smoke Adjustment Screw to reduce low speed smoke, and the idle screw or throttle linkage to correct the idle speed.

Its just a matter of tweaking them until you are happy with acceleration and max throttle
and the amount of smoke, you'll soon see how it changes and smokes as you wind the screws a couple of turns.

to help you find them the adjustment screws are no 88 and 471 in this diagram, and its useful for future reference anyway
http://dieselcatalog.online/en/bosch/0460/0460414119.html
hope that makes sense
if you need further clarification just holler
Cheers
Chug :D
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mac1984 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:05 am

Thanks for the nice and clear discription chuggy,
I need a Bosch conversion for dummies guide

Apart from the connector of the return line at the pump, I could not see any signs of leakage. The return line seems to be ok now after I retightened that.

I'm not sure where all the diesel disappeared to.

Maybe later I get an opportunity to play around with the pump settings.

Thanks for the help so far.
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mac1984 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:57 pm

i am afraid i have to ask you guys for another advice:

the head of the idle screw is busted, and access is very limited.

I was thinking the following:

Can i take the lever off? What i mean is the accelerator lever, where the cable end is attached to.

My idea was, with that out of the way, i might be able to access the thread with a vise grip or something and turn it from the fwd side.

i wont remove this flippin pump again :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I just thought i might ask first, not that i take that lever off and there is a dozen parts falling out when i do.

Looks like it is only attached with a single nut at the centre..

if you need me to take a pic of what i mean, i can do that later..

many thanks in advance
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:39 pm

The throttle lever is on a splined spindle and the spindle can move when the lever is lifted off, so before you remove it scribe a line across the top of spindle and lever so you can get it back on in the correct position, also make a note of how the return spring connects and how the plastic cups above and below it fit.

But saying that you may be able to move the lever a spline or two to correct the idle as long as it still turns ok to get max throttle, you'll see what I mean when you take it off, I put the nut back on and clamped some vice grips on to rev it whilst running to check the amount of travel from zero to maximum.
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Problems & Questions