*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

struggling with starting the latest Bosch conversion help

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: struggling with starting the latest Bosch conversion hel

Postby Chug » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:32 am

It starts with easy start pilot so cam/valve timing is correct, you have fuel at injectors when cranking, so I can think of two possibilities, firstly, the injection timing has slipped and fuel is not being injected at the right point, or secondly the stop solenoid allows fuel through when injector is cracked and the system is open, but back pressure when the injector nut is closed causes the solenoid to stick.

Check timing again with the locking pins and try removing the innards from the stop solenoid, just because its clicking doesn't mean the rubber plunger is lifting off the stop hole if the spring has broken or the plunger is damaged.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mac1984 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:24 pm

Chuggy,

thank you so much for your suggestions...

i took everything apart again, inserted the 3 pins...all fit in nicely..

i have no experience with the automatic tensioner, but the belt has by feeling the same amount of slack that the old one had before i took it off. and its not very loose either, i cant imagine that thing slipping....

i dont think the tensioner has moved either, i was supposed to check the torque but now it has started with wind and snowfall, not ideal conditions for working on the side of the Road... :D :D :D

your thinking about the solenoid seems very logical to me, unfortunately i am missing the correct spanner size... i also have another pre 1996 bosch pump lying around with another solenoid, but i suppose removing the plunger is the
best way to go...

As soon as i get a chance i will start taking that thing out...

any more ideas, please let them come, as i am slowly reaching the end of my options...
1996 2.5TD Bosch Mod, Bio degradable Body from factory but outlived its manufacturing plant.
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mac1984 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:19 pm

Struggle in the snow continues..... never give up :mrgreen:

i have taken out the solenoid, removed the spring and plunger, put it back in...

i suppose, this causes another air pocket right??

I keep on cranking... diesel came out the bleed valve, but not at the injectors...

i hope this is going to change...

am i right that with the plunger out of the solenoid, i dont need to worry about connecting it electrical??

thanks for all the help i got so far
1996 2.5TD Bosch Mod, Bio degradable Body from factory but outlived its manufacturing plant.
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mac1984 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:22 pm

i took the fuel filter off, unfortunately i dont have a new one handy at the moment, so hopefully it is not blocked.

there is diesel coming out from the feeder line on top of the filter when i crank, there is diesel coming out the bleed valve in the pump, and there is diesel coming out at the
connectors on the pump ( feed and return)

but still, no diesel coming out at the injectors... and it did before..

i think i am close to surrender, cant think of anything else anymore....

HELP :( :( :(
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mac1984 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:48 pm

Nobody??

Could it be the flux compensator???

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mac1984 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:12 pm

I tried the following:

(yes guys, im still out there on the Street, believe it or not)

i disconnected the high pressure connectors at the end of the pump.

Cranked for ages, there is basically **** all coming out of there, yet this is supposed to be a HP line??

Is it possible, that the internal shaft inside the Pump has simply snapped??

Anybody had that Problem before?? I just cant think of anything else anymore...
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:31 am

Sorry to hear you are still having problems Mac, so removing the solenoid guts has now lost the fuel to injectors, so best to go back to when it did have fuel at the injectors and replace the guts.

I've never heard of a shaft snapping but it is always possible that something else has failed in the pump, on my last one it was the fuel pump vanes that were stuck.

I would try running direct from a fuel can to the pump inlet to bypass the filter and tank in the equation, I removed the inlet pipe from the filter and slipped a bit of bigger pipe over the inlet pipe and then onto a pipe going into the fuel can, and then run the pump return line back to the fuel can as well or you will have an empty can after a few mins.

Other than that I'm at a loss like you, more frustrating that it was running well for a bit too, but something/what has changed?
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mac1984 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Thanks Chuggy for all your Help on this.

I had other troubles now in the meantime, so the smiley has to wait until the weekend probably..

i still cant understand how removing the plunger can have something to do with the pump not delivering anymore, but maybe it hasnt..

i only had the injector nuts cracked, i wonder if it is possible that an injector stuck open and the compression went out of the cylinder and back into the pump??

I will try once more with the the injectors completely disconnected, and see if it delivers then..

if not, i take it of again and suspect something wrong with the pump...

at least i am not struggling in the snow anymore...

im sure we will be back on the road again... some day :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:56 pm

When you took the solenoid guts out did the plunger have the rubber tip on the end of it? sometimes they come off and get stuck over the hole.

Is it sucking fuel and is there any fuel going back down the return pipe when cranking?

If I think of anything I'll let ya know
Chug
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mac1984 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:58 pm

thanks chuggy for still being with me on this :D

when cranking, if cracked the feed and return connections a little, Diesel comes out of both.

The pump must be full too, as soon as i open the bleed at the side, diesel comes out there as well.

you made me paranoid about the little rubber tip of the plunger now... i think it was still on, yet i am not 100 percent sure.

all the parts are outside in the van, i will have a look at the weekend and maybe take the solenoid out again to take a look inside..

this is driving me nuts, but unfortunately i have no time during the week...

cheers for your help
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:07 pm

No problem Mac, I know what its like struggling in the cold with IP problems, I had to swap my pump at the beginning of January and halfway through had to change the starter too as it gave out with all the cranking.

I wish I could be more help, where are you based anyway?

I'll make sure I check in regularly over the weekend to see your updates.

Chug
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mac1984 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:17 pm

thanks Chuggy, you have already been a great help.

i am based in the south of Ireland, so not really close unfortunately.

:(

Maybe really the pump itself has a problem,i dont know.

running really low on ideas at this stage
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mac1984 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:09 pm

Ok, here we go again....

cranked like a maniac again, the pump spits fuel out of every opening (feed, return, bleed valve at the side),
but not a dribble has arrived at the top.

i took the injector lines off completely, in case i have a stuck open injector that lets the compression through, but no, thats not it..

i can also confirm that the plunger that i took out has the little plug still on it, seems fairly well stuck together actually...

So from my side, i have reached a point were i cant think of anything else apart from the pump itself...

I might take it off again today and get it checked out.

If somebody has a last minute lightning strike idea, please let me know..

thanks for all the help i got so far
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mac1984 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:50 pm

Ok i think the problem why the van doesnt start is solved:

The Pump is broken. I decided to take it off again, and i have noticed that the wheel at the front is super easy to turn.

seems like something inside went...
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:19 am

Oh dear that doesn't sound good Mac, it should be hard to turn by hand and should need two hands to turn it, then it goes easy then hard again, it should do this every 80 degrees for each injection stroke as it lifts on the camplate.
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Problems & Questions