*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

ok giving me grief

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

ok giving me grief

Postby 4x4 tranny » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:29 pm

Sorry people but this thing I've built and finished. Has over the last few weeks is giving me grief.
First had to have ASM rebuilt, now the dam clutch as given up and diesel pump, engine has done 190 plus Ks
So the big question is and need help with info here is?
will a late model common rail 140 ps engine and 6 speed go in, as the driect injection motors getting old and obsolete and hard to find a low K one here.
I believe you have to change the ECU and looms both engine and dash????? is that right?
Have heard may be diff as well???
As we intend to do lots of KS round Australia reliability is high on the agenda and fuel economy.

Any info or suggestions will be well received.
cheers all
4x4 tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: ok giving me grief

Postby knobby1 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:57 pm

The "basic" engine block/head itself is quite similar but that's where it stops. As you mention, "all" the electronics, looms/harnesses, dash are different. The Mk7 uses a "Can-Bus" electrical system and will have PCM, (Powertrain Control Module), BCM, (Body Control Module) and several other modules, so all the fuse boxes and control relays are different, even the battery box has a bunch of relays and fuses on it along with the different "smart charge" system...that's just the beginning.
The only common thing between Mk6 and Mk7 is the basic chassis and most of the bodywork, obviously the front end is different..... and you'll have a big hole in the floor, the gear lever doesn't come up through the floor like the Mk6. Then you have disc brakes on the rear of the Mk7 whereas the Mk6 has drums on the rear, so the rear end, handbrake hookup, braking system and ABS module is different, the list goes on and on..! I'm not saying it's impossible but it will be difficult.

190ks is nothing for a TDDi engine, she's just run-in. :wink: If you'd like to keep the van you may be better off converting to a full manual gearbox and getting the fuel pump sorted.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby 4x4 tranny » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:36 pm

Thanks Lord,
MMMM Yes sounds a big job, as its a 90 and weights in just on 30000kgs and we intend to a lot of traveling. After a couple of weekends away, find it gutless on the hills and nothing more that gets me grumpy is grinding up hill at 30 odd ks an hr with traffic building up behind you.
Borrowed a pump and was a little bit better than the old one it still lacking grunt, so really needs a repower so thought why not put in an updated engine making it easier for parts ,mainly in the outback.
well that was the theary..............lol
4x4 tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:11 pm

Yeah...the 90ps can be a bit ordinary, especially with a decent load, you can get them remapped. I have a Mk7 140 remapped to 170+ and goes like stink, will turn the tyres in 3rd gear.

You can send your PCM/ECU to Martyn (Vantuner) in the UK and he'll sort it for you, should see another reliable 30 ponies or so ...or, you can do what I did and get a Superchips Bluefin and do it yourself, they ain't cheap though.

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/search?make= ... riant=1671

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:14 pm

4x4 tranny wrote:Thanks Lord,
MMMM Yes sounds a big job, as its a 90 and weights in just on 30000kgs

:shock: :shock: I hope you're not trying to carry 30,000kgs around, no wander she's a tad slow..!! :lol: :mrgreen: :wink:

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby 4x4 tranny » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:51 pm

hahaha there ya go again age........lol no only 3000kgs
while I'm here what you think about swinging in a ps125 then? that be easier?
sounds like you have had bit to do with them.
4x4 tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:11 pm

4x4 tranny wrote:hahaha there ya go again age........lol no only 3000kgs
while I'm here what you think about swinging in a ps125 then? that be easier?
sounds like you have had bit to do with them.

If you get the 90 remapped, it'll be close to the 125 anyway....Although a nicely running 125 remapped (a nice reliable ~30+hp) is a pretty good thing with plenty of torque.

No, I've not had a lot to do with them, there's much more knowledgeable chaps on here than myself.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby 4x4 tranny » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:59 am

thanks for your help.
at least I'm backing off the 140 common rail as did a bit of home work and ya a lot of electronic changes. and I'm not very savey at that, give me a spanner a computer who knows what ends up....lol you may have noticed......lol
4x4 tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby 4x4 tranny » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:40 am

Ok up dated plan, think we near Z by now...so had to do something.........lol
now an owner of VH 125 which had a grate motor installed 2YRs ago and done 29000k since installed , new starter, diesel pump, injectors
clutch, turbo,5 speed, and the list goes on.
so now's the job of swapping it to the camper.so think that will keep me outta trouble for a while.
Drove it back from down south and very surprised how it drove for its KS nice and tight and pointed where you wanted it go through the hills was a breeze and gave a few cars a currie up......lol.
not really looking forward to it but what choice does a guy have ????? ya I know get some one else to do it, then it be jail, at least get free tucker there......lol.
will keep you up dated on progress.
4x4 tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Technical Problems & Questions