*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

HELP! Electircs/Lighting Issue

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

HELP! Electircs/Lighting Issue

Postby Ussasx » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:23 am

Hi All,
Have been a long time browser and poor contributor so apologies! However a current issue means I really need to ask for all your help!
I have an ex-AA Transit mk7 swb. Its been awesome so far however I am having an electrical issue and am loath to go to an auto electrician to trace a problem I may be able to fix myself :/

The Issue:
The left hand side indicators are not working. When I activate the left indicator I get no Green arrow on the dash, just no response.
In addition the left Tail Light and Left Running light aren't on.
However, Intermittently, when I press the brake pedal EVERYTHING comes on, on the left hand side (the fog lamp light comes on the dash when this happens).

What have I done:
I have checked all the bulbs, checked wiring in the rear light cluster, all seems fine.
There is a tow bar that is connected up to the rear cluster and the wiring is shot! I have cleaned up and connected where it is damaged and this has made no difference. I completely disconnected the left light cluster to remove a potential short - nothing.
Checked fuses in both boxes behind glovebox - all ok.

I'm hoping you may have some suggestions of other things to check - or some knowledge that it is a wiring short so I keep tracing all the wires!
Also the tow bar is not used at all and I don't intend for it to be used - would I be better removing all associated wiring and taking it off?

Thanks!
Ussasx

Re: HELP! Electircs/Lighting Issue

Postby knobby1 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:55 pm

I'm guessing you've got a poorly earth somewhere...evidenced by the lights coming on sometimes when the brake pedal is pressed. The Mk7's usually have a tow bar electrical control module, this may be giving you grief too.

If you're not planning to use the tow bar, yes, remove it and sell it on.

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... OCsxMzU%3D

Lord Knobrot
Last edited by knobby1 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ussasx » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:58 pm

awesome. i have checked the earth cable behind the rear light cluster which is clean abd connected fine. where else should earth connections be?
Ussasx

Postby knobby1 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:17 pm

Ussasx wrote:awesome. i have checked the earth cable behind the rear light cluster which is clean abd connected fine. where else should earth connections be?

Just on the chassis, you can make your own if you like....there's a bunch of earth point all over the place, in engine bay and under the dash etc....the BCM, (Body Control Module) controls most of the lights etc...

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... NisxMzU%3D

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... AwOTYrMTM1

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ussasx » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:00 pm

ok so have checked earth with a multi meter and get a reading for the front earth but zero reaction in the rear earth...
seems that could be the issue but no idea how to figure out why i have no ground there.
Ussasx

Postby knobby1 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:06 pm

Ussasx wrote:ok so have checked earth with a multi meter and get a reading for the front earth but zero reaction in the rear earth...
seems that could be the issue but no idea how to figure out why i have no ground there.

Might need to make your own.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions