*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Seized engine

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Seized engine

Postby Brockbhoy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:52 am

Mk7 put in garage for oil leak
Turns out was coming from timing cover. Got quote and told them to go ahead with work.
Then gets another call to say that engine had seized whilst it was idling in workshop.
2 questions
1 ) any ideas as to what caused it?
2) do i have any comeback with garage?
Brockbhoy

Re: Seized engine

Postby loot » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:19 am

Without looking at it there's no way to know what caused it other than oil starvation or oil pump failure. I do think that they must have left it on tickover unattended though, oil starvation and temps reaching too high may be the cause, but you can't prove that they weren't paying enough attention to it to stop it in time to save it from permanent damage.

Personally unless you can find out the cause and also determine it was their fault I'd see if they can do something to replace the engine at a reasonable price that you are both happy with which keeps it all friendly etc.

If they turn around and are cocks about it then you'll see their true colours and realize that they probably shouldn't have been used in the first place, which unfortunately we are all unaware of unless we've used them before.

It's worse for mechanics to go to unknown garages because we see the signs earlier on and if we feel that we have to use the garage it gets depressing :x

You are also entitled to take the van elsewhere, don't be fooled into thinking well it's here now and it'll be cheaper than taking it away for repair because the garage will also know this and may charge more so get quotes!

Also if an external component failed then you need to fix that too or the new engine will go too!
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Brockbhoy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:07 pm

They say about 30 minutes.
I understand sh*t happens and it could be something that was gonna happen anyway.
Brockbhoy

Postby knobby1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:49 pm

Sounds like someone has forgotten to put oil in, started it and left it unattended....for the engine to seize it has to severely overheat, in which case the PCM should shut the engine down, or lack of oil.

Best to find out what actually caused the problem first before pointing fingers. if it turns out there was a lack of oil, I'd then be pointing fingers.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ABA » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:32 pm

didn't nobody check the oil level before starting the engine in the garage if it went in for an oil leak ?
ABA
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andz327 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:59 pm

Is there large amounts of instant gasket hanging oot around timing cover? Could they have knocked off oil pump chain when cleaning up engine block? Is it lack of oil ?? I'd get it checked with another mechanic so they can't cover up any mistakes
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions