*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Blower fan resistors overheating

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Blower fan resistors overheating

Postby Transit97 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:03 pm

Hi, where to start... there is obviously an overheating problem with my blower fan wiring. (Please see attached photos)
Firstly my fan was only working on the high setting, low & medium did not work. I replaced the front resistor that sits in the engine bay towards the front right hand headlight (see photos Resistor 2&3) this fixed the low, medium & high setting for the fan speed.
I then noticed that the 30amp fuse in the main fuse box (under near the steering column) would get very hot & melt on the high setting (fine on medium & low). Upon further investigation I can across this strange resistor (?) (see Resistor 3 photo), it was located sitting inside the heater box behind the dash, it was obviously stuffed. Could this be my overall problem???
I'm desperate to understand this whole issue, auto elects here are scratching their heads. Does what I am explaining make any sense to anyone here?
Hoping you are out there!
Regards, Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Transit97

Re: Blower fan resistors overheating

Postby Altransit » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:32 pm

If it's drawing too much current and burning out fuses and resistors, then I would have a look at the motor, which may well be partially seized :idea:

That "other" resistor looks to be very home made, and may be there to help restrict the high current flow, well that's my guess anyway :!: :P
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Transit97 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:53 pm

Thx Altransit. The motor is a second hand one which tested fine. The resistor you thought looked "homemade" is an odd one, I can't find anything similar anywhere which is strange. The only one tat has been recommended is the one I have attached as a photo, do you think it would work?
I know nothing of auto electrics if that was not already clear :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Transit97

Postby Altransit » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:16 pm

The one in the picture above is the "later" resistor which fits inside the heater box, next to the motor.

Your van will have one or the other of these, but not both, fitted. My 1997 Mk5 had the one in your first picture, next to the headlight, later ones, and Mk6's had the green one in your bottom pic :)
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Transit97 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:17 am

Thx again Altransit, So you think the resistor in photo 3 is obsolete and the ceramic type was added later? Are you quite certain that both were never used at the same time?? :?
Regards, Mike
Transit97

Postby Transit97 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:44 am

Hi Altransit, I got that the wrong way around, the ceramic type is the older style & the green one is the newer. Mine is also a 1997 Mk5 so you think that the green resistor has been added & should work by itself?
Transit97

Postby Altransit » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:40 pm

The green one would need to be in the airflow inside the heater box. Using it outside will cause it to overheat and burn up. Basically, if you don't have one fitted there already, then you can't use it.

The one next to the headlight looks like it belongs there, and has factory wiring, so must be the correct one.

As I said, the "item" in the lower picture in the first post looks very home made, and I have no idea what it's for, or why it's there :(
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby mark&denise » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:46 pm

Altransit wrote:If it's drawing too much current and burning out fuses and resistors, then I would have a look at the motor, which may well be partially seized :idea:

That "other" resistor looks to be very home made, and may be there to help restrict the high current flow, well that's my guess anyway :!: :P

when i turn ac on the low speed fan does not kick in if leave running then 2nd speed cuts in for short while both fans
have changed relay but still same
ac really cold when driving
mark&denise

Return to Technical Problems & Questions