*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Smokey diesel

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Smokey diesel

Postby Landie » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:56 pm

Hi, I have been having an issue with my transit diesel engine that is fitted to my land rover. The Landie has been off the road for about five years due to me being ill and I haven't been able to start it. Just recently I have been trying to get the Landie back on the road. I have done a basic service on the engine and then went to start it.... The engine revs and there is a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust, I disconnected the turbo just in case it was running on oil from a broken seal in the turbo, that made no difference, so I made up an air restrictor plate so I could try the throttle to see if it was stuck, there is no throttle response? I guess the smoke which is white/blue in colour could be from the piston rings or dried out valve stem seals, but I don't know.

The fuel pump is a modified bosch unit that a friend made for me (he has recently passed away) and I believe the engine is nicknamed the 'banana engine' 1990's transit?

I have searched the internet and I have found out these pumps don't like sitting and the throttle can rust/seize, if so any ideas on how to release it, I have backed off the cold start wire/stat and have backed off the idle????

Would someone also be able to recommend a diesel fitter/shop in the Essex area.

Cheers
Matt
Landie
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Smokey diesel

Postby Landie » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:15 pm

Hi Can anyone help with this issue??? Also there is a part on the side of the pump that has an electrical connection to the fuel cut off has anybody got an idea what this is?
I still need to find a diesel fitter in the Essex area.
Many thanks
Matt
Landie
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Chug » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:41 pm

If the engine revs up to full throttle ok the pump throttle shaft isn't seized, smoke could be from stuck rings, dry valve stem seals, and who knows what if the engine has sat unturned for 5 years, and then again it may clean itself up after having a good run, if not its a case of going through the usual checks for a smokey exhaust, I wish you good luck with this and keep us posted.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Jim Archer » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:48 pm

Was it run on waste/Veg oil? Sounds like the advance cam is stuck and you have a leaking injector.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Landie » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:08 am

Hi Thank you for your replies,
I have now swapped fuel pumps with a spare and the problem is still there high revs at idle and white smoke, I have spoken to a diesel fitter from this website and the next course of action was to remove the injectors. I removed the injectors but there doesn't appear to be any damage??? It now makes me think that the smoke could be caused by the engine and that could be caused by stuck rings, either that or the injectors are still to blame or the pump I swapped in has exactly the same issue???
Thanks again for your help
Matt
Landie
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:23 am

Could it be the ubiquitous 10mm headed bolt, under the rocker cover, fallen out of its thread, allowing oil into the cylinders :?:

It used to be a fairly common problem when there were more Di's on the road :?
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Landie » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:53 pm

HI ???????????????????????????????? WHAT ?????????????????????

Right I am calm now ! Is this an obvious problem when the rocker cover is removed? Please let me know I just want my reliable landie back on the road.
I look forward to your reply
Thanks again
Matt
Landie
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:02 pm

It's just a thought :?

Take off the rocker cover, and have a fish about in the oil to see if there's a small 10mm headed bolt floating around. It's purpose is to block off an oil gallery in the head, and lets through oil if it's missing.

I've never seen one myself, but it used to be a common fault on here a few years back when the Di was more in regular use.

Have a look, it costs nothing :?:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Landie » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:29 pm

Hi Thanks for the idea, the turbo is disconnected via the pipe going between the turbo and the inlet manifold so I can't see any way that the oil could get into the engine? But I did remove the rocker cover and had a look but I couldn't see anything obvious IE - a bolt sitting there waiting to be found or a threaded hole missing a bolt. Any ideas where the bolt comes from?
I do appreciate the input and I will do my best to check any of these ideas.

I am now thinking that I have two fuel pumps that are not working correctly, so giving the same symptoms or the oil control rings are stuck or??? Is there any way off telling the difference between an engine that is over-fueling or one that is running on oil?

I am not sure what way to go now??? Just change the engine for a running one from ebay, keep pursuing this engine, change the engine to my spare which might have the same problem or???

One of the problems I do have is that I can't keep the engine running for very long as the smoke that pours out is BAD and I don't think the neighbours would appreciate it, I am also worried that I may be causing more damage to the engine!
More questions and as yet no answers
Many thanks for your help
Matt
PS thank you to dieselhead123 for his continued help MUCH appreciated
Landie
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby amlav » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:04 am

Try to remove the intercooler hose from the inlet side and start it up . If no white-ish smoke comes out than there could be turbo seals or just oil build up in the intercooler and intercooler hoses .
If still white-ish smoke (with intercooler hose disconnected) than could be valve stem seals , valves , piston rings, split rubber hoses etc...
I would check compression on each cylinder first and if all fairly equal than engine more likely is ok inside .
In the same time if car was sitting for that long it could be a bit of oil build up in the exaust (unlikely...but never know).
This are suggestions only ... hard to pin point the issue unfortunatley from the keyboard .
amlav
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Landie » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:42 pm

Hi Thanks again for the replies.
I have now put the injectors back in after draining some of the engine oil. The landie conversion tilts the engine over a bit more than when it was in the transit so my thoughts were it could be running on engine oil.....no luck white smoke on tickover and a very unhappy me.
Quite a while back I made a plate to fit over the inlet manifold where the turbo normally connects, this has got an 8 mm hole in it but still it revs to about 1200-1500 revs.

I wouldn't mind but it always starts on the button!
Thanks again
Matt
Landie
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Technical Problems & Questions