*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK7 Transit starter motor issues 2.2

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

MK7 Transit starter motor issues 2.2

Postby sellers » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:45 pm

Hi,

My starter motor had always struggled a little when the engine has been hot and recently the van started making a squeeking noise when starting (sounded like it was in the cabin)

Anyway, tonight it would't start at all, ignition lights on, but not even trying to start, not even a click from the relay?

I tried looking at all fuses, swapped the relays round with an identical one in the fuse box and I fit a new starter. Now I'm a bit stuck?

The starter starts the van when I short the terminals but nothing happens on the key? Am I missing a fuse somewhere?
sellers

Re: MK7 Transit starter motor issues 2.2

Postby knobby1 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:53 pm

Duff ignition switch..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:27 pm

knobby1 wrote:Duff ignition switch..??

Lord Knobrot
Or Duff starter solenoid
Sometimes if you take starter oot and give it a good clean out , if your ok with spanners strip it down to clean out, theres 4 small planet gears that gunge up tae fook , on mk6 fwd not sure about yours there's a 1 small ball bearing sits in middle of the gears and the end of the main spindle that everything spins on sits on this) clean and lube the bearings and rebuild, you can get all the bits to repair it if brushes etc are gubbed cheap from ebay..... But a good clean can work wonders if you've not let i go to far
Sounds harder in writing than actually is.....or.......
Fit cheapest part first which is what his lordship mentioned above and if no joy fit replacement starter
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:13 am

andz327 wrote:
knobby1 wrote:Duff ignition switch..??

Lord Knobrot
Or Duff starter solenoid
Sometimes if you take starter oot and give it a good clean out , if your ok with spanners strip it down to clean out, theres 4 small planet gears that gunge up tae fook , on mk6 fwd not sure about yours there's a 1 small ball bearing sits in middle of the gears and the end of the main spindle that everything spins on sits on this) clean and lube the bearings and rebuild, you can get all the bits to repair it if brushes etc are gubbed cheap from ebay..... But a good clean can work wonders if you've not let i go to far
Sounds harder in writing than actually is.....or.......
Fit cheapest part first which is what his lordship mentioned above and if no joy fit replacement starter
There's a dude on here selling an as new starter in the transit parts for sale section mate
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby sellers » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:00 pm

Cheers for the replies,

I did put a new starter on it but the same issue.

I traced in tonight though, the relay for the starter, the clamps in the fusebox grabbing the relay pins were very loose! Bent them a little and bent the relay pins a little to get a tighter connection and all works now!
sellers

Return to Technical Problems & Questions