*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Connect tdci ran out of diesel and now won't start

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: Connect tdci ran out of diesel and now won't start

Postby connect-driver » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:41 pm

Ahhh ok, reading workshop manual it states:

Fitted into the fuel rail is the fuel pressure sensor. The fuel pressure sensor monitors the current fuel pressure available at the fuel injectors....

If the fuel pressure sensor does not see a minimum preset value during cranking, the PCM will not allow the fuel injectors to inject and the engine will not start.

If the fuel pressure sensor signal to the PCM is lost or the value indicated does not match the expected value for the given engine condition, the fuel metering valve will default to the closed position and will not allow the development of the high-pressure fuel supply.

So is there a delay in the pressure sensor closing the inlet valve to high pressure side of pump? Otherwise it'd be a catch 22 situation
Crank it over in 10 second bursts maybe?
Thanks again for advice

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
connect-driver
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:53 pm

connect-driver wrote:Ahhh ok, reading workshop manual it states:

Fitted into the fuel rail is the fuel pressure sensor. The fuel pressure sensor monitors the current fuel pressure available at the fuel injectors....

If the fuel pressure sensor does not see a minimum preset value during cranking, the PCM will not allow the fuel injectors to inject and the engine will not start.

If the fuel pressure sensor signal to the PCM is lost or the value indicated does not match the expected value for the given engine condition, the fuel metering valve will default to the closed position and will not allow the development of the high-pressure fuel supply.

So is there a delay in the pressure sensor closing the inlet valve to high pressure side of pump? Otherwise it'd be a catch 22 situation
Crank it over in 10 second bursts maybe?
Thanks again for advice Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I doubt there's a delay as such, it just won't open at all....no pressure signal means the IMV or metering valve will never open and the injectors will never be activated by the PCM.

I wonder if running out of fuel ....and hence running the pump dry has possibly damaged the pump element itself and has resulted in not enough fuel pressure...if so I suspect you're in a spot of bother. I know you've replaced the filter, but have you cut open the original filter and checked for bits of metal etc...

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby APH » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:46 am

By the sounds of it, either your pump is knackered, or your inlet metering valve, or its clogged with dirty bits that got through the old filter, however
there is one other way i've found worked on a mondeo that I was having similar issues with, however I DO NOT RECOMMEND or SUGGEST using this method all the time, or at all unless as a LAST Attempt in desperation like now....

Get a CLEAN can of diesel, must not conatin ANY debris, (a thoroughly washed 2l drinks bottle is good for this) fill with extremely clean diesel, undo the high pressure union on the pump, not the rail, and undo the union on the rail directly in the top (its the pipe that goes to number 4 injector) use your priming bulb to pump fuel from the can into the injector union on the rail (you may have to improvise a connection onto the threaded union with hose pushed over etc to get a good fit...), and as soon as you get it escaping from the fuel pump union, continue pushing in with priming bulb, and tighten up the union. Now slightly open number 1, 2 , and 3 injector unions at the injectors themselves, and continue pumping until fuel escapes here with out any air. keep pumping and tighten all the injectors back up, then remove the priming bulb and re connect number 4 injector pipe. DOUBLE CHECK all unions are TIGHT. Make sure filter is full, and bled to pump as best as you can, then try staring.

AS said above, this is NOT a recommended method, nor guaranteed to work,

I take no responsibility for any muck / swarf / debris entering the injectors, its down to you how hospital clean your fresh diesel and container / primer pump etc is as to whether you introduce dirt particles to the injectors and kill them.

doing this removes most of the air from the high pressure side of the pump and fuel rail, and if the metering solenoid opens long enough to add a small amount to this when you first try cranking, you might just get enough pressure increase on the rail to allow the pressure sensor to keep the pump working, and force out any remaining air...

DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH,it may not work at all, and you do this COMPLETELY AT YOUR OWN RISK, be careful....

best of luck,

Andy :D
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby connect-driver » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:27 pm

Thanks for replies, all really helpful.
Ok, been too busy to look at this for a couple of days but...IMV is normally open so unplugged it's now letting fuel through so I'm confident it's supplying clean (swarf free) diesel and that rail is bled 99%
Fuel pressure is showing at 2900 psi according to app I'm using (20000kpa)
Error is still showing as P0190 fuel pressure.
Does this Dtc need resetting (my app is not deleting codes for some reason) or when the required pressure reached will it "go away"?
Surely if figures are correct fuel pressure can't be far off target?
Thanks again for all replies

ImageImage
connect-driver
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby connect-driver » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:14 pm

Ok, back running and done 100 miles or so without issue.
Low fuel was red herring.
DTC code 0190 low fuel pressure
Reading the live data rail pressure 200000kpa 2000bar is a default value given by PCM I believe for when the sensor is toast and giving reading outside values it's looking for.
Swapped out sensor for used ebay one (electrical plug was slightly different something to look out for)
My sensor was reading full 5v from signal terminal. Maximum permissable is 3.8v or something.
Squib of breakcleaner/easystart down the intake and it roared into life in a huge cloud of black smoke from exhaust.

Thanks for all your help

connect-driver
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Previous

Return to Technical Problems & Questions