*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Connect tdci ran out of diesel and now won't start

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Connect tdci ran out of diesel and now won't start

Postby connect-driver » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:36 pm

Ran out of diesel on motorway, put two cans in tank wouldn't start (now know you've no chance without getting fuel to filter)

Got van home, this is what I've tried thus far;

Pulled fuel up to filter with primer bulb pump, cranked loads, no start.

Changed filter (filled with fuel).

Took#1 injector pipe off and tried to squeeze fuel through, nothing came out

Cranked engine over, nothing came out of #1 pipe.

Next day

Connected primer bulb between filter and pump -whilst cranking over, pumped primer bulb, repeated lots, no joy.

Next day sprayed brake cleaner in intake, engine runs, squeezed bulb simultaneously. The primer bulb was definitely pumping fuel through somewhere. Repeated lot's. No joy

Next day towed van up and down road in 3rd gear for couple of miles (stopped every 500meters or so to pump bulb)

Today, checked pump belt (not broken), took off intercooler, loosened banjo on pump and bled out some air. Loosened pipe that exits pump to the fuel distributor but couldn't pump any diesel of there -too dark, gave up and came in.

Error code show P0190 fuel rail outside operating pressure (as expected)

What should I do next (apart from "float testing" van in nearest canal)

Maybe I didn't run out of fuel and pump is knackered or injector leaking, or maybe pump is now knackered from all the cranking/towing I've done since?

Any advice welcome

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
connect-driver
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Connect tdci ran out of diesel and now won't start

Postby paul2012 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:54 pm

Connect 1.8 TDCI are awkward to prime fuel system.

Priming bulb should be fitted between diesel filter & main fuel line from fuel tank.

Should never attempt to bleed are from injector unions. Due to duel system is common rail & higher very high pressure :!:

P0190 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor "A" Circuit :idea:

If there's a problem with fuel pump and/or injectors. Following DTC's are stored

P0251 Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control
P1211 Injector Control Pressure Higher/Lower Than Desired (engine running)

Resulting in either non start. Engine going into limp mode with glow plug light flashing on instrument cluster or engine cutting out when accelerating
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby connect-driver » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:08 pm

paul2012 wrote:Connect 1.8 TDCI are awkward to prime fuel system.

Priming bulb should be fitted between diesel filter & main fuel line from fuel tank.

Should never attempt to bleed are from injector unions. Due to duel system is common rail & higher very high pressure :!:

P0190 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor "A" Circuit :idea:

If there's a problem with fuel pump and/or injectors. Following DTC's are stored

P0251 Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control
P1211 Injector Control Pressure Higher/Lower Than Desired (engine running)

Resulting in either non start. Engine going into limp mode with glow plug light flashing on instrument cluster or engine cutting out when accelerating
So how the dickens does anyone bleed it? I was thinking once the pump got fuel it could build hydraulic pressure and then pump through any air further along the high pressure side?

connect-driver
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby paul2012 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:54 pm

connect-driver wrote:So how the dickens does anyone bleed it? I was thinking once the pump got fuel it could build hydraulic pressure and then pump through any air further along the high pressure side?

By fitting a priming bulb between diesel filter & main fuel line from tank.

Pump it until priming bulb goes hard. Then crank engine over & it should start.

Do NOT loosen any injector pipes or unions as this will result in low fuel rail pressure. Otherwise engine will not start :idea:
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D

IDS & GM GDS2 services

paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby connect-driver » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:00 am

paul2012 wrote:
connect-driver wrote:So how the dickens does anyone bleed it? I was thinking once the pump got fuel it could build hydraulic pressure and then pump through any air further along the high pressure side?

Do not loosen any injector pipes or unions as this will result in low fuel rail pressure. Therefore engine will not start :idea:
Thanks for replies, this is exactly what I've done (primer bulb from filter to pump). I've primed it until bulb is hard, cranked it over and over whilst pumping fuel through and whilst running it on easy start.
I'm at a loss as to why it refuses to start

connect-driver
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby paul2012 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:12 am

connect-driver wrote:
paul2012 wrote:

Do not loosen any injector pipes or unions as this will result in low fuel rail pressure. Therefore engine will not start :idea:
Thanks for replies, this is exactly what I've done (primer bulb from filter to pump). I've primed it until bulb is hard, cranked it over and over whilst pumping fuel through and whilst running it on easy start.
I'm at a loss as to why it refuses to start

You've fitted priming bulb in wrong place. It's pointless fitting it between filter & pump due to air in diesel filter.
Priming bulb should be fitted between diesel filter & main fuel line from from fuel tank
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D

IDS & GM GDS2 services

paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby connect-driver » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:19 am

You've fitted priming bulb in wrong place. It's pointless fitting it between filter & pump due to air in diesel filter.
Priming bulb should be fitted between diesel filter & main fuel line from from fuel tank

Ah ok, I've tried it both sides of the filter and that's where it is now between tank and filter. I've noticed there is a ball valve/one way valve on the filter that the return line tee's onto, can this release any air in filter? Thanks again for replying

connect-driver
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby connect-driver » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:58 am

What I can't understand is I've undone the injector unions on #1 and 2, cranked over engine for good 20 seconds whilst pumping bulb and nothings come out.
Normally the primer bulb will fill a litre bottle with 10 squirts so there's more than enough gone through... And its going somewhere
-but is there some valve between pump and injectors that is not opening?
Is the triangular thing a distributor of some kind?
Thanks again for replies

connect-driver
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Chug » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:10 pm

Have you got fuel coming from the fuel filter outlet to the pump when pumping the primer?
Untill all air is removed from the filter and you get a good fuel flow out of the filter outlet it will just turn over forever.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby connect-driver » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:12 pm

Chuggy wrote:Have you got fuel coming from the fuel filter outlet to the pump when pumping the primer?
Untill all air is removed from the filter and you get a good fuel flow out of the filter outlet it will just turn over forever.
Yes I'm positive all air is out of filter. I undid the pump fuel intake banjo and bled out any air like you would on a brake caliper.
connect-driver
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby paul2012 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:08 pm

connect-driver wrote:What I can't understand is I've undone the injector unions on #1 and 2, cranked over engine for good 20 seconds whilst pumping bulb and nothings come out.
Normally the primer bulb will fill a litre bottle with 10 squirts so there's more than enough gone through... And its going somewhere
Thanks again for replies

As said before. Don't loosen off any unions at injectors or fuel rail (looks like a spider with all 4 injector pipes attached to it.)

There is no valve between pump & injectors. Although there is a fuel pressure sensor on fuel rail.

Looking at your photo you now have priming bulb connected up correctly.
Get DTC's read again clear them. Then attempt to restart engine. Again read DTC's & post them here.
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D

IDS & GM GDS2 services

paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby connect-driver » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:30 pm

paul2012 wrote:
connect-driver wrote:What I can't understand is I've undone the injector unions on #1 and 2, cranked over engine for good 20 seconds whilst pumping bulb and nothings come out.
Thanks again for replies

As said before. Don't loosen off any unions at injectors or fuel rail (looks like a spider with all 4 injector pipes attached to it.)

There is no valve between pump & injectors. Although there is a fuel pressure sensor on fuel rail.

Looking at your photo you now have priming bulb connected up correctly.
Get DTC's read again clear them. Then attempt to restart engine. Again read DTC's & post them here.

paul2012 wrote:...Looking at your photo you now have priming bulb connected up correctly.

Ok, will do. Really appreciate your reply
Regarding the unions, there was just nothing happening and I'd cranked it long enough (plus drag starting) so needed to check the basics.
Its pumping fuel back along the return (as viewed from filter return)... but nothing out of the pressure side Image

connect-driver
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:49 pm

With the TDCi engines, I was under the impression if you undo any of the high pressure fuel lines the pressure sensor "senses" a low pressure and won't allow the pump to activate..?? Is that correct or am I talking rubbish again..?? :?

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby paul2012 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:59 pm

knobby1 wrote:With the TDCi engines, I was under the impression if you undo any of the high pressure fuel lines the pressure sensor "senses" a low pressure and won't allow the pump to activate..?? Is that correct or am I talking rubbish again..?? :?

Lord Knobrot

Your correct engine shuts off. Does the same with worn injectors with excessive leak off 8)
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D

IDS & GM GDS2 services

paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:05 pm

paul2012 wrote:Your correct engine shuts off. Does the same with worn injectors with excessive leak off 8)

So cranking it over with an injector line or main feed from the pump off is basically a waste of time..!??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions