*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Alternator problems

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Alternator problems

Postby free&addicted » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Hi all,

Looking for some advice. Battery light is showing on my mk6 transit, I've had the alternator replaced less than 6 months ago, starter replaced at the same time and battery is only just a year old. I've checked to see if the alternator is charging and it's reading just over 12v so assuming it's not. Recently a whining noise has started from the engine bay, and the pulley on The alternator looks to be loose and not spinning straight causing the belt to vibrate randomly, it also sounds as though there's a problem with the bearing in the alternator. Wanting to know if its usual for the pulley to be replaced with the alternator (I would assume so) and weather it could just be the pulley causing it not to charge and all the noise etc.

Any advice is much appreciated

Cheers
free&addicted

Re: Alternator problems

Postby andz327 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:31 pm

free&addicted wrote:Hi all,

Looking for some advice. Battery light is showing on my mk6 transit, I've had the alternator replaced less than 6 months ago, starter replaced at the same time and battery is only just a year old. I've checked to see if the alternator is charging and it's reading just over 12v so assuming it's not. Recently a whining noise has started from the engine bay, and the pulley on The alternator looks to be loose and not spinning straight causing the belt to vibrate randomly, it also sounds as though there's a problem with the bearing in the alternator. Wanting to know if its usual for the pulley to be replaced with the alternator (I would assume so) and weather it could just be the pulley causing it not to charge and all the noise etc.

Any advice is much appreciated

Cheers
If its same idea as mk7 it'll Need new pulley, they have a clutch mechanism built into pulley, that'll be why it's not charging
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions