*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Indicator problems (which i might have caused myself)

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Indicator problems (which i might have caused myself)

Postby AmatureAdventurer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:37 pm

Hey guys, hows it going, first time here and i’m in need of some help!

So here’s the thing:
Both indicators on the left side have stopped working, along with the dash light for them.
My first thought was fuse, but the manual doesn’t list any fuses being for any of the indicators as far as i can see (if anyone knows which one(s) they are id love to know aha)

I have recently been converting the van into a camper so there’s a chance i could have hit the loom when attaching cladding to the passenger wall, but everything else in the rear left cluster works fine.
i would have assumed that if this had been the case it would have only taken out the rear indicator, not all three, but then again i know sod all about this stuff.

So my question is this: would cutting one of these cables take out all three lights? Or would it work more like a blown bulb?

Bonus facts:
When i first noticed the problem the front one was still flashing but at a very low brightness and at normal speed.
There is a strange squeaking sound coming from somewhere near the fuse panel behind the glove box when i do turn the indicator on (and no satisfying clicking)

i have taken down the cladding and inspected the easiest to get to holes and made sure they’re nowhere near the loom (it rides on the clips all the way along) and i cant see any damage, thought id ask all yall before tearing the entire thing to shreds

The Van:

2008 mk7 swb 280

Any advice/knowledge/insults welcome.

Any suggested garages in Bristol, UK are very welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Touring sound engineer, currently converting a swb mk7 into my new adventure vehicle!
AmatureAdventurer

Re: Indicator problems (which i might have caused myself)

Postby Altransit » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:18 pm

This happened to me on my mk6 when I accidentally trapped the indicator link wire (the one that connects the O/S indicator to the N/S tow bar wiring) behind the ply lining. It was OK until I screwed the lining down tight, at which point exactly the above symptoms happened.
As soon as I took the screws out again, it started working properly, so I re-routed the link wire.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Technical Problems & Questions