*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Minibus 2.2 140PS 2011 DPF

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Transit Minibus 2.2 140PS 2011 DPF

Postby Richard J C » Sun May 27, 2018 8:33 pm

I wonder if anyone can shed some light. I have read about successful DPF forced regens using ForScan, but it isn't working for me and I am confused as to why.
The vehicle is a 2011 Transit Minibus, 2.2 l (euro V), 140 PS. The powertrain light came on towards the end of a motorway run and "engine malfunction" on the display. It has been present on every startup since - and limp mode (forced restricted power) is enabled. I bought a ELM327 USB interface and downloaded ForScan. The error codes were mainly to do with DPF soot accumulation and one relating to vaporiser glow plug circuit. Needless to say, the regen would not proceed. I was told that the vaporiser glow plug was a dealer only part. The dealer offerred me a vaporiser assy complete, saying the glow plug alone was not available (contrary to information on Ford-Etis). Anyway, after spending close to £270 and three days trying to undo the vaporiser mounting nut, I managed to replace the vaporiser. Ran ForScan, cleared DTC's and re-ran diagnostics. Pleased that the vaporiser glow plug circuit error had cleared, I was left with only the codes relating to DPF soot accumulation and restricted power. I took the vehicle for a short run, to warm up the engine somewhat quicker than just by idling. Upon return, hooked up the interface and laptop and proceeded to start the forced regen. It did not proceed, informing that engine temperature and exhaust gas temperature are too low. I took the vehicle on a 50 mile run down the motorway maintaining an almost constant 70 mph. Upon my return, attempted the forced regen. Exactly the same cause of interruption!! The coolant temperature was above 80 degC (otherwise Forscan would have reported it). ForScan indicated that the oil temperature was 91 degC. I can understand that the exhaust gas temp sensor might have been reading low due to soot (??) but why would the engine temp sensor suggest below 70 degC when both the coolant and oil temperatures were well above that? What is the location of the engine temp Sensor? Performing a self test with Forscan did not highlight any faulty sensors. Anyone got any suggestions? Many thanks.
Richard J C
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Transit Minibus 2.2 140PS 2011 DPF

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:41 pm

If you still have faults logged it wont do a regen :wink: If its still reading a blocked dpf only you may be able to fool it and doing a regen by programming it has a new dpf fitted.If not a dpf clean or a new one :(
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Richard J C » Sun May 27, 2018 10:06 pm

Can you please enlighten me as to how I fool it into thinking a new DPF has been fitted? The only fault codes relate to the DPF and the restricted power. Thanks
Richard J C
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby p2thed » Thu May 31, 2018 9:21 pm

have you checked the 20 amp fuse was not blown in the engine bay for the fuel vaporiser, does the regeneration process stall at the start or half way through using the scan tool.???
p2thed
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Richard J C » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:25 am

p2thed wrote:have you checked the 20 amp fuse was not blown in the engine bay for the fuel vaporiser, does the regeneration process stall at the start or half way through using the scan tool.???

I couldn't determine, from the info' available to me, which fuse pertained to the vaporiser - so I checked them all! None were blown.
Under ForScan, the process starts and checks that the coolant temp is above 80 degC. Then states "please wait 30 secs" That is when I get the message about engine temp being below 70 degC and exhaust gas temp being too low. The actual log is as follows:

(OK) [15:55:57.540] Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Static Regeneration has been started
(OK) [15:56:27.650] Please wait...30 seconds
(ERR) [15:56:55.362] The vehicle conditions are incorrect
(ERR) [15:56:55.363] Possible causes:
- Engine is cold, please warm it up (to 75°C)
- Exhaust Gas Temperature is too low
The engine speed must rapidly change from approximately 2500 to 3500 RPM to achieve the required engine and exhaust gas temperatures during the engine warm up procedure
Perform a self-test to identify any diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs)

An "on demand self test" only indicates error codes relating to the DPF and restricted power. Incidentally, nothing appears to be happening during the 30 sec wait. I don't know if the software should be revving the engine at this time? Thanks
Richard J C
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby p2thed » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:33 pm

i have never used forscan only IDS
what are your exhaust temp sensors reading on live data when the coolant reaches 80 degrees.
can u carry out a prime test on the vap pump and here it running. the regen process wont begin until temp sensor 1 sees around 300 degrees. im just wondering if you have a faultyexhaust temp sensor.??
what is the actual soot load on live data??
have you tested the coolant temp sensor (located on the thermostat housing) grey 2pin connector
visually inspect the temp sensors for corrosion or damage

on IDS FDRS the warm up forces is the same 80 degrees must be reached, as soon as it does the pcm takes over and raises the rpm to 2500. once temp sensor 1 is happy and sees around 300 degrees the pcm activates the vap pump and glow plug but this can take around 10mins after the rmp is raised to reach this point.After the dosing has started both temp sensors rise and settle at about 550-600 degrees at this stage the pcm raises the frequency of the pump to inject more fuel as the burn off process begins and it continues like this until the soot load has dropped.
p2thed
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Richard J C » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:49 pm

p2thed wrote:i have never used forscan only IDS
what are your exhaust temp sensors reading on live data when the coolant reaches 80 degrees.
can u carry out a prime test on the vap pump and here it running. the regen process wont begin until temp sensor 1 sees around 300 degrees. im just wondering if you have a faultyexhaust temp sensor.??
what is the actual soot load on live data??
have you tested the coolant temp sensor (located on the thermostat housing) grey 2pin connector
visually inspect the temp sensors for corrosion or damage

on IDS FDRS the warm up forces is the same 80 degrees must be reached, as soon as it does the pcm takes over and raises the rpm to 2500. once temp sensor 1 is happy and sees around 300 degrees the pcm activates the vap pump and glow plug but this can take around 10mins after the rmp is raised to reach this point.After the dosing has started both temp sensors rise and settle at about 550-600 degrees at this stage the pcm raises the frequency of the pump to inject more fuel as the burn off process begins and it continues like this until the soot load has dropped.

Thank you so much for this comprehensive reply. I am new to ForScan, so am still finding my way around it. I will check to see what live data I can pull off.
I haven't checked the coolant temp sensor - mainly because the gauge is reading normally and ForScan doesn't report any DTC's associated with this (nor, for that matter, for the exhaust or any other sensors. Also, if the coolant temp is below 80 degC when a forced regen (under ForScan) is started, an error message pops up informing that it is below 80 degC. I removed both temp sensors from the DPF / exhaust line and cleaned off what little soot there was on them. Before replacing them I did a resistance check. Both read around 5 Megohms at room temperature, dropping to around 3.5 Megohms when warmed in my hand. Using ForScan "gauges", when the engine was warmed up (ie. coolant above 80 degC) the oil temp was 91 degC and exhaust gas temp somewhere around 180 degC.
I don't understand how Forscan can report that the engine temp is below 75 degC, if the coolant and oil temps are higher than this. I will try and get some more readings tomorrow.
Richard J C
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby karl » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:58 pm

thought the 2.2 came out in 2012 which is a euro 5 engine

if all your glow plugs dont work it will never regen

p.s I hate these engines they worse then the euro 4 :evil:
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby Richard J C » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:59 am

1. I can confirm it is definitely (December) 2011, 2.2 L, euro V.
2. There are no DTC's relating to fuel delivery and - other than the restricted power - it runs nicely.
3. I believe IDS is the Ford proprietary software. I haven't found a vap priming facility in ForScan, but will keep looking. I am currently waiting for the engine to cool down, as had to run an errand this morning. I will collect some live data and post again.
Richard J C
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Richard J C » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:26 pm

I have now collected some live data through ForScan. Unfortunately, I know that all my efforts to format the data in a table are wasted, because the formatting will be removed when I hit the "submit" button. Anyway, the data follows:

Name Description Value Value Value Value
T Time readings noted 13:40 13:52 14:07 14:24
AAT Ambient Air Temperature (degC) 28 28 29 31
CATEMP11 Catalyst temperature Bank1 Sensor1 (degC) 63 108 114 120
CATEMP12 Catalyst temperature Bank1 Sensor2 (degC) 63 108 114 120
DPF_LOAD DPF System % of Max Soot Loading Inferred Closed Loop (%) 167 167 167 167
DPE_SOOT_ DPF System % of Max Soot Loading Inferred Open Loop (%) 289 289 289 289
DP_DPF Exhaust Gas Differential Pressure (kPa) 0 3.4 3.5 3.6
DP_DPF_2 Exhaust Gas Differential Pressure (kPa) 0 0 0 0
ECT Engine Coolant Temperature (degC) 50 56 73 84
EOT Engine Oil Temperature (degC) 46 56 74 84

I am alarmed by the soot % figures, which I am seeing for the first time! Incidentally, the times were not logged by ForScan - I just kept a note to get an idea of elapsed time. Needless to say, an attemted forced regen at 14:25, with coolant and oil temperatures at 84 degC, ended in exactly the way described in earlier posts. Also, the readings at 13:40 are just before starting the engine. Any further suggestions, please?
Richard J C
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Technical Problems & Questions