*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Alternative to 2.5 DI banana engine

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Alternative to 2.5 DI banana engine

Postby sugs750 » Thu May 31, 2018 6:33 pm

Hi all.... I'm in the process of buying a camper that had a banana engine fitted, the engine has been removed and disposed of for reason's unknown.... The gearbox is still intact and what I believe to be MP75......
My query is, Is there an alternative engine that would readily drop into place mating up to the engine mount's and g/box???????
I've heard the banana is a good strong reliable unit but can be sluggish and noisy and as I'm going to have to source a complete engine just wondered if there may be something a bit quieter and livelier out there? If not I'l settle for a banana.....
Thank's Pete
sugs750

Re: Alternative to 2.5 DI banana engine

Postby twin wheel camper » Thu May 31, 2018 9:06 pm

Get a TD transit engine unfortunately it will still be noisy but will have much better power and be so much nicer to drive than a 2.5 non turbo, it basically the same engine so will drop onto the engine mounts the gearbox the lot 8)
Only thing is the injector pump on this age transit TD is a electronic pain in the backside but it is very easy to fit a mechanical pump from a non turbo like the type that is missing from your van :( but they aren’t hard to get. Do a search it well covered on here.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby sugs750 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:15 am

Many thank's for that, will investigate..... Cheer's Pete
sugs750

Postby dumper » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:05 am

At one time London taxi cabs had the di fitted to them I read somewhere that they wear putting a Nisan engine in them when the di needed replacing
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dieselhead123 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:51 pm

sugs750 wrote:Hi all.... I'm in the process of buying a camper that had a banana engine fitted, the engine has been removed and disposed of for reason's unknown.... The gearbox is still intact and what I believe to be MP75......
My query is, Is there an alternative engine that would readily drop into place mating up to the engine mount's and g/box???????
I've heard the banana is a good strong reliable unit but can be sluggish and noisy and as I'm going to have to source a complete engine just wondered if there may be something a bit quieter and livelier out there? If not I'l settle for a banana.....
Thank's Pete

There is a conversion kit available to fit the Duratorq engine to the Di Mt75 gearbox, the development thread can be viewed here;
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=165049

The adapter plate is available with provision to fit the crankshaft position sensor, this enables the factory Tddi/Tdci management system to be used. A fair bit of wiring is required to install the management system but the installation process is simple enough for a competent owner.

Here is a picture of the adapter plate, CNC cut from our own CAD drawings.
TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Technical Problems & Questions