*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2014 Mk8 2.2 engine removal/rebuild

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

2014 Mk8 2.2 engine removal/rebuild

Postby Stuartbrown06 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:27 am

Hi all

Van broke down on the motorway a couple of weeks ago, huge vibrations through the wheel and lost power.
Engine misfiring and oil had blown out of the filler cap and down the front of the engine.

RAC recovered it to a local garage who reckoned the compression was down a little on cylinders 1-3 and none existent on 4. Said it needed a new engine with costs between 4K for a recon and 6k for a new engine.

Decided to take it home on Friday and strip it down to see if I can rebuild it as rebuild kits with oversize pistons seem to only be around £500. A rebuilt short engine from eBay is around £800 so can make a big saving doing this myself in spare time

I have a cordless inspection camera with an 8.5mm head but this wouldn’t fit down the injector holes so couldn’t see into the bores, never tried the glow plugs. I’m dubious over whether the garage actuall did a compression test also as they didn’t charge me to look at it but if they check them at the glow plug holes it’s quite a bit of dismantling to get to and remove them?

What are the common failures on these, I’ve been searching but can’t find a lot of info on them... I’m thinking possibly a cracked or melted piston. I had the van remapped to 185ps about 6 months ago so possibly could have melted the piston if overfuelling?

Does anyone have the torque settings etc for rebuilding one of these?

Appreciate any help!
Stuartbrown06
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2014 Mk8 2.2 engine removal/rebuild

Postby Stuartbrown06 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:45 pm

Got the head off today and had a look, piston is cracked on cylinder 4 with very slight scoring on the bore. Cylinder head and valves all look fine..

Still might go for the full rebuild kit and get the block rebored for the +.5 pistons though, what sort of price would I be looking to pay for a rebore?

Thinking of getting the injectors tested as well, what sort of price should that be?

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stuartbrown06
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:29 pm

Stuartbrown06 wrote:Got the head off today and had a look, piston is cracked on cylinder 4 with very slight scoring on the bore. Cylinder head and valves all look fine..

Still might go for the full rebuild kit and get the block rebored for the +.5 pistons though, what sort of price would I be looking to pay for a rebore?

Thinking of getting the injectors tested as well, what sort of price should that be?

ImageImage

Get the injectors done or it will do the same again :wink: You will get away with either boring the bad cyl and fitting an oversize piston or boring it and resleeving it.You might even get away with a light hone .I would leave the others alone as the crosshatching looks perfect :) Just check the pistons for cracks :idea:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Stuartbrown06 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:32 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:
Stuartbrown06 wrote:Got the head off today and had a look, piston is cracked on cylinder 4 with very slight scoring on the bore. Cylinder head and valves all look fine..

ImageImage

Get the injectors done or it will do the same again :wink: You will get away with either boring the bad cyl and fitting an oversize piston or boring it and resleeving it.You might even get away with a light hone .I would leave the others alone as the crosshatching looks perfect :) Just check the pistons for cracks :idea:

You think the injector caused the crack? I’m hoping it’s not with the remap as I’d like to keep it if possible. Any idea what it costs to get the injectors checked?

Stuartbrown06
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby V184 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:51 pm

i would be tempted to get a set of decent pistons (if such things exist?) if your going to run the remap. Our resident engine expert will be along shortly to tell us (for the 100th time) how 3.2 Rangers melt pistons :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Stuartbrown06 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:11 pm

V184 wrote:i would be tempted to get a set of decent pistons (if such things exist?) if your going to run the remap. Our resident engine expert will be along shortly to tell us (for the 100th time) how 3.2 Rangers melt pistons :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

To be honest I was half expecting this one to be melted when I took the head off. The map had me thinking it must have been overfuelling.. the fact it’s cracked makes me think it may have just been a manufacturing or stress defect.

Some uprated pistons would be a good shout, you never know how far to go though, it’s a work van at the end of the day. I was more interested in some extra mpg and torque than the power increase.

Had a quote of £100 for 4 cylinders bored out for oversize pistons. They reckon it might hone out though if it does then I could either change the one piston or maybe a better quality full set of standard size ones. Working away most of this week so will probably be the weekend before I can finish taking the block out and get it dropped off.

Got a couple of garages to call tomorrow who’ve been recommended to test the injectors.

What’s the craic with 3.2 rangers?

Stuartbrown06
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Stuartbrown06 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:48 pm

Got the block out and took in, scores honed out ok so only needs the one new piston. All the shells and bores etc in really good condition so happy with that.

All 4 injectors failed the resistance tests so need 4 new ones which is a blow at £150 each, explains why it went pop anyway!

Stuartbrown06
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions