*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ford Transit Mk6 2.4 TDCI 135 T350 - Orange coil flash P0208

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Ford Transit Mk6 2.4 TDCI 135 T350 - Orange coil flash P0208

Postby Adds666 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:49 pm

Afternoon Chaps,

Problem occurred yesterday on my Mk6 2.4 TDCI 135 - Orange coil light was flashing and van seemed to be in a limp mode.

I discovered the Diagnostic mode online - Press and hold clock reset then turn ignition to position 2. Can then scroll through functions and codes with reset.

Believe I'm reading a DTC code of P0208 (However looks more like r0208, next code looks like rn0208)
Some googling showed this to be https://www.obd-codes.com/p0208 'Cylinder 8 Injector Circuit Malfunction'
Confused as I've a 4 cylinder engine? Van runs fine, starts fine, (some white smoke which was not present before) and no ridiculous engine shakes.

The van has smelt strongly of diesel for a while and some oil / fuel gathers around the injectors. Assume this is bad leak off pipes as no High Pressure leak can be seen. Thought maybe I've had too much fuel around the electrical connectors and its shorted out etc.

[*]Removed high pressure pipes from Common rail and injectors, removed leak off pipes, removed electrical connectors.
[*]Cleaned area around injectors with Brake Cleaner, removed injector seals, cleaned and re-seated.
[*]Replaced leak off O Rings - old were purple and looked fine - new are green and looked very slightly smaller (don't know whether makes difference?)
[*]Measured each injector with Multimeter and read 1.2, 1.2, 1.1 and 1.0 Ohms respectively (working from front of van to back)
[*]Cleaned electrical connectors with Brake Cleaner, dried thoroughly and ensured Orange seal was present, good and seated correctly.

Refitted everything, ensuring leak offs / electricals seated nicely, ran up van and engine runs fine still expect for orange coil and r0208 (assumed r as P) fault code.
Ordered NOID meter from ebay, only to use my brain and see what would happen when disconnecting electrical connectors.

All 4 cylinders changed the note, vibration and engine noise of engine - implying all 4 cylinders are firing their injectors and when disconnected, are not.

So I guess a few questions:

[*]Am I reading the codes correctly? (Query because diag mode displays dtc none (see below))
[*]Why would it flag up the 8th cylinder which I don't have?
[*]Do I need to clear the codes?

Read out from diag mode:

Test Gauge
all the 8888s
r 0208
nr 0208
EE01
dtFFFF
CC89
CF100
CF200
CF300
CF400
dtc none
E0000
ts nc
tr nc
Many more......

If I'm barking completely up the wrong tree - What does an orange coil light mean? Are my Glow Plugs simply on the way out?

Thanks for any help - its appreciated.
Adam
Adds666

Re: Ford Transit Mk6 2.4 TDCI 135 T350 - Orange coil flash P

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:19 am

You need to get the codes read properly...IDS or Forscan...

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Ford Transit Mk6 2.4 TDCI 135 T350 - Orange coil flash P

Postby amlav » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:24 am

Not sure but it could be the "Service" notification light . There is a procedure for resetting the "Service" notification as follows :
Make sure bonnet and doors are closed
Turn ignition on but don't start the engine .
Press Brake and Throttle pedal fully down and hold till service light flashes .
Switch ignition off .
amlav
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Technical Problems & Questions