*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.4LDuratorq D1 starter problem

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

2.4LDuratorq D1 starter problem

Postby beginner » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Unable to start engine. I have a Ford Transit lwb hi-top diesel used as a camper van. Purchased 2005. About 35000 miles on the clock. Used very gently throughout it's life.Two days ago engine started first time after being idle for over a year. 48 hours later engine turns over with healthy battery but motor will not fire up. The tachometer LED flashes normally with transit at rest. When ignition key is inserted and turned to first position ready to start engine the LED flashes rapidly for some 30 seconds, then goes out, then flashes twice, goes out, then flashes three times. This sequence of two flashes, then three flashes repeats while ignition key is left in position. Are these LED codes indicative of where the fault lies? If so can anyone point me into areas where the fault lies. All the electrics appear to work and plenty of fuel in the tank. I ask because I do not want to spend enormous amounts of money getting a breakdown removal firm in to move camper to local Ford garage where it has been suggested I might be facing a four figure repair bill if for instance the engine management module needs replacing. It may be time to scrap the camper if the cost of repair is high!!
beginner

Re: 2.4LDuratorq D1 starter problem

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:28 am

Yep...she has logged at least one fault....you'll need to get the codes read.

This seems to happen quite frequently when they sit for extended periods...not all but some.
Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby beginner » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:53 am

Thanks knobby1 for your input. Excuse my total ignorance but will reading the codes entail hooking up tech gear to the camper and if so can that be done with an engineer from Trust ford calling at my home?
beginner

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:00 am

beginner wrote:Thanks knobby1 for your input. Excuse my total ignorance but will reading the codes entail hooking up tech gear to the camper and if so can that be done with an engineer from Trust ford calling at my home?

Forscan or IDS are your best bet.....many of us have them for diagnostic purposes....Ford charge an arm/leg/testicle just to plug in let alone fix anything.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby APH » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:13 am

Your key code has been lost from the imobiliser system, hence the flashing when you turn the key and code 23 being shown. You can try getting the key/s re programmed in, and it may well work ok, however bee prepared for it to be short lived, as it usually indicates the start of a dying fuel pump EDC, as this ad the vans engine ECU make up the imobiliser system.

Andy :D
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby beginner » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:06 am

Hi APH, Your diagnosis was spot on. Had a Ford engineer visit and run diagnostics, (not much option here but to use Ford as I am not aware of any local techies). Also, I am not averse to using our local Ford dealer; they provide a good service and I guess have to cover their overheads which are bound to be higher than your techie working in his home garage or backyard. Engineer confirmed fuel pump had lost comms with my key. As I understand it, diagnostics allows you to tell system you have fitted a new pump which then allows you to reprogram the comms link. All very clever and way above my intellect level. I am an octogenarian and gave up tinkering with engines when feeler gauges became redundant. Engineer suggested I have fuel pump changed since he reckons 9 out of 10 faults similar to mine are fixed in this way, and, as you suggested he feels the current fuel pump is on the way out and not to be trusted.
Many thanks for your input. It was good to have your diagnosis coincide with that of the visiting Ford engineer.
beginner

Return to Technical Problems & Questions