*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Half shaft seal?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: Half shaft seal?

Postby karl » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:11 pm

ballihoo wrote:Yes used a genuine one.
I thought maybe the hub nut wasn’t torqued enough so have tighten that up. But it still leaks. The only thing I can think is to try again with a cheaper one.
Just hassle and wasted time though.

if it still leaks after changing them you havnt seated the correctly, how did you knock them in ?

idealy you need a big socket to knock them in flush thats the same size as the outer edge
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby ballihoo » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:46 pm

Hi,
I just taped it in with a hammer. It went in nice and square and went all the way in.
I borrowed a mates torque wrench, that I thought was suitable for left hand thread, to check that it wasn’t just the hub nut.
Turns out it wasn’t suitable and so now I’m worried I’ve over torque the nut and damaged the bearing. The torque wrench broke so it’s over the 450nm unless it was faulty to being with.
Turning into a pain in the arse
Mk7 2.2 t350 tipper 2014
ballihoo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby karl » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:56 pm

ballihoo wrote:Hi,
I just taped it in with a hammer. It went in nice and square and went all the way in.
I borrowed a mates torque wrench, that I thought was suitable for left hand thread, to check that it wasn’t just the hub nut.
Turns out it wasn’t suitable and so now I’m worried I’ve over torque the nut and damaged the bearing. The torque wrench broke so it’s over the 450nm unless it was faulty to being with.
Turning into a pain in the arse

i dont torque them mate i just tighten up then back of quarter of a turn :D
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby ballihoo » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:36 am

That’s good to know. Been looking at the cost of torque wrenchs that are big enough and work in both direction. Wasn’t sure I could bring my self to do it
Mk7 2.2 t350 tipper 2014
ballihoo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Technical Problems & Questions