*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Single seat base question...

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Single seat base question...

Postby RussRST » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi, from what i understand the singe seat bases are the same passenger or drivers and the same in both mk6 and mk7, is that correct? The next question is if im removing the double passenger seat will the single base fit into the holes that the double used?

Thanks
RussRST
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Single seat base question...

Postby motorman116 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:47 pm

Yes, but you will find that you have to cut down the rubber mat for the single base unit to fit to the floor.
2008 3.2 5 pot diesel Ford Transit GLX Lwb, Hr
motorman116
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby RussRST » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:16 pm

Ok nice one thanks.
RussRST
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby johnenigma » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:28 pm

I think the seat belt fixings are different on loose end and actual seat from memory. My apologies if not correct.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
johnenigma
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnenigma » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:31 pm

Mk6 seats and Mk7 seats look same but are different positions on floor. Unfortunately you can never get a "standard Transit".

johnenigma
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RussRST » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:39 am

Ok so proberbly a safer bet getting a mk 7 frame
RussRST
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby johnenigma » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:08 pm

RussRST wrote:Ok so proberbly a safer bet getting a mk 7 frame
I would have thought so. The upholstery will match the front seats as well.

johnenigma
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby serenmor » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:53 pm

I recently took out the double bench seat from my Mk6, and fitted a single passenger seat, thereby giving easy access to the rear from the front (part of a basic camper conversion). It was an easy job, just remove the four bolts and the single fits exactly.

One tip, if you can fit a proper single passenger seat, that is easier than adapting a driver's seat to work as a passenger seat, as in this case you will need to change the seat belt mounting. I found a single passenger seat from a scrapyard so it was an easy job.
serenmor
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:13 am

Mk6 will fit mk7 , it's mk6 i used on my mk7
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby mistericeman » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:10 pm

serenmor wrote:I recently took out the double bench seat from my Mk6, and fitted a single passenger seat, thereby giving easy access to the rear from the front (part of a basic camper conversion). It was an easy job, just remove the four bolts and the single fits exactly.

One tip, if you can fit a proper single passenger seat, that is easier than adapting a driver's seat to work as a passenger seat, as in this case you will need to change the seat belt mounting. I found a single passenger seat from a scrapyard so it was an easy job.

I just swapped mounts over onto the drivers seat I used as a single passenger on our Jumbo

All the holes were already there and swapping the lot including fitting swivel base.
mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Snottygobble » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:05 am

In Australia where i am , it appears that all earlier transits were imported from the UK with double passenger seats & there are now so many of these for sale online its become a joke so only drivers seats from WRECKERS yards are available! I have acquired a seat on a swivel to go in , but need a driver`s seat base to attach it too! What year does Mark 6 end because there is a 2001 available but my model is Mark 7 ( 2020)
Snottygobble
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Johnno » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:25 pm

My Mk7 has 2 single seats, it is kind of rare. I was told at the time of purchase ( I bought it new 2012 ) It was a " Professional pack " which is 2 single seats, a passenger air bag, a leather gear knob and steering wheel. I got something of a deal as the guy said it was ordered like that and the buyer baulked for some reason. He reckoned they were harder to sell. Suited me fine, one of my sons is generally in the passenger seat if anyone is and I'm somewhat fond of them, I'm happy to have an air bag there.

I bought a second bulkhead from a Mk6 for $100 bucks. I wanted to try and make it slightly more quiet ( meh kinda is ) but reduce the chance of a motorcycle hurtling forward in the event of a crash.

Now, I will " camp " in my van but it'll never be a camper. For safety sake I'd love to be able to just get behind the wheel and GTFO of a bad situation if I were camped in the back. The bulkhead obviously won't allow that. It was cool to just to be able to freely walk into the back but, I also like having a much smaller area for the A/C to have to deal with.
Johnno
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Snottygobble » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:56 am

Are you in Australia Johnno ? I have found that almost everything here for camp conversions is either not available at all or extremely expensive, & still hard to get! When you look at the kitchen kits for instance manufactured in Germany (96 wizzbangers) site plus shelving & other great modifications to choose from in the UK & Europe , we seem so far behind considering that our climate is so much more conducive for van living than most other countries where cold weather creates so many heating & condensation problems!
Snottygobble
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Johnno » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:14 am

Yeah mate, I'm in QLD.
My van is low roof FWD, it wouldn't make much of a camper. I've got a dual battery set up and a Bushman Traveler fridge between the seats. I'm planning on a trip across to Perth soon with just a swag and simple cooking gear and either my push bike or dirt bike in the back. Couple spots I want to spend time at I'd stay at a pub or on site cabin at a van park. I'm not high maintenance. When I was a kid I worked out west dawn till dusk living in tent cooking on a fire. I want to be able to park anywhere, travel quickly and if I'm sensible get 40 mpg. That's kind of important now. Nullabor Roadhouse today is $2.99 a litre for diesel..

My brother bought a Toyota Coaster bus, it was still an actual bus when he got it, and converted it himself by scrounging, using facebook market place, using quite a lot of ingenuity and frankly it turned out unreal. It's perfectly livable and has everything you'd want in a camper. For about 11 or $12,000 TOTAL.. Including buying the bus ( $7,000) . He sold the seats off which was cheaper than taking them to the tip.. I'm pretty sure it even has A/C. He showed me around it, he researched a lot and asked a lot of Q's and came up with a plan that suited his needs and budget. He said the mattress was $500 and the hot water system 300.

Now, it has an old non Turbo Landcruiser engine so you have to be patient getting anywhere but he's retired and doesn't care. My point is, it doesn't have to be state of the art. Good friend of mine and his wife just bought a decked out Sprinter that cost 80,000.

It's super nice but, wow that's a lot for something that's gonna spend a lot of the year killing the lawn underneath it until they get a slab poured for it and a roof made. More expense.
Johnno
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions