*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Connect Radio / Stereo issue - please help!

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Transit Connect Radio / Stereo issue - please help!

Postby Mechagran » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi, ive just registered to prevent me growing a stress tumour from this bloody van....!

In short, I have searched your forums but I have a fairly specific question that I hope someone can help with. Bear with me.

Background

The new owner of van I have just sold is picking it up in a week, and asked me if I could replace the 12v centre console because it was not working. It was a big deal to him and I had always intended to do it so I said "no problem".

I replaced it with a little one I bought off the 'bay and after a few hours (!) of frustration trying to get the old one out, I managed it. And it works - superb.

Now the plot thickens because in doing so (over a period of 4 hours and popping inside to watch Russia somehow win) - I blew several 15A fuses in the cigarette lighter seat trying to get it to work. I also attempted to remove the fascia around the lighter section but to no avail. I have to say it was driving me a bit mad as the lighter thing came out half way but some plastic sleeve was preventing it coming all the way. I tried to be delicate

I finally perhaps in a moment of madness tried with a very thin knife to remove the head unit of the stereo hoping I could access the cigarette lighter that way because I didn't have the special whatsists to di it. I didn't force it, but just wanted to see if I could get it out.

Anyway, predictably that failed and in the end I cut the cigarette lighter out and as I mentioned above that bit is working GREAT.

Problem

However, the problem I now have is that the radio refuses to even turn on. It has worked for 3 years every day, so I'm going to assume there is a correlation here between me tw@tting about and it dying.

I have checked the two fuses in another thread I saw - which suggest that the glovebox fuses relate to the radio - both appear to be fine.

What I would like to know is - is it possible ive buggered up the radio for good? Or am I missing something so obviously stupid that I could sort it out by next weekend?

Finally, I have bought some removal tools and a an ipod jack thing off the 'bay so if I need the unit to come out I should be ok to do so by Thursday.

PLease, please help this idiot. :roll:
Mechagran

Return to Technical Problems & Questions