*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Mk6 with TDCi cutting out erratic

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: Transit Mk6 with TDCi cutting out erratic

Postby andz327 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:44 pm

twin wheel camper wrote:I’m not a mk6 or mk7 fan but from reading on here the tddi is a lot less trouble than the tdci that’s for sure,
And as there is plenty of rotten mk6 transits around maybe that could be the answer considering the tdci WILL come play up again that’s a certainty :(
Why are you wanting a rotten transit ? Why a transit at all if you don't like them
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby twin wheel camper » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:20 pm

The original poster in a earlier reply said he was thinking of returning it to tddi and I was suggesting he could buy a rotten tddi to put his back to original :?
Did you not read all the posts :?:
And I have 2 transits both TD mk5s, I said I don’t like the more modern transits from mk6 onwards, I never said I don’t like transits :roll:
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby jamtey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:52 pm

andz327 wrote:
ned wrote:Also if you glow plug light flashes when trying to start the van it will never start :wink: N
Mr Ned am i missing something here......2001 75hp .....and somebody has changed it to a 130tdci....Eh!

It does appear that the transplant was done reasonably well, the PCM is from a Transit TDCI 125 and the combination is now recognised as a 2001 Transit TDCI by the F-Super reader.
jamtey

Postby andz327 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:16 pm

twin wheel camper wrote:The original poster in a earlier reply said he was thinking of returning it to tddi and I was suggesting he could buy a rotten tddi to put his back to original :?
And I have 2 transits both TD mk5s, I said I don’t like the more modern transits from mk6 onwards, I never said I don’t like transits :roll:
Started reading but my dyslexia kicked in ,
Why bother buying a rotter to start swaping sh!t back over......just buy a tddi thats not rotten and fook all that hassel but whatever takes his fancy
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ned » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:23 pm

andz327 wrote:
twin wheel camper wrote:The original poster in a earlier reply said he was thinking of returning it to tddi and I was suggesting he could buy a rotten tddi to put his back to original :?
Started reading but my dyslexia kicked in ,
Why bother buying a rotter to start swaping sh!t back over......just buy a tddi thats not rotten and fook all that hassel but whatever takes his fancy

Or and its just an idea with the money its going to cost to buy the rotter or engine and associated parts or buy another van just buy 4X reman injectors and get the van running as it should. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jamtey » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:47 am

andz327 wrote:Why bother buying a rotter to start swaping sh!t back over......just buy a tddi thats not rotten and fook all that hassel but whatever takes his fancy

You find me a good straight rust free TDDi (which I have never found near me) at a good price and I might show some interest, even then I'm not in a position to let my unrepaired van go at a loss as spares and simply pay for another one.
I can buy this rotten van with genuine 70k and service history for £300, do an engine/wiring/PCM swap, plus get all the other parts off that my van could do with. Might not be an easy option, but it is an option.

This is a cheaper option than even remanufactured injectors that I then have to pay someone to programme, with every chance that my TDCi engine with no history will play up again, pump might have issues, the turbo has known issues, and on and on.
they are a known unreliable lump, that I have avoided so far until now when I discovered one in this van after I brought it.

Money is tight and I have to explore all options.

Anyhow, just as an update, I have fitted a new cyl head temp sensor as the old one had bad soldering done on the wiring so that the wires were sometimes touching, so that was likely the cause for some cutting out and the fan being on.
Cam sensor has been changed.
Got a new fuel pump pressure valve coming, more for elimination purposes. This will be the last cheap fix I can try before going down the injector change route.
jamtey

Postby andz327 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:14 am

jamtey wrote:
andz327 wrote:Why bother buying a rotter to start swaping sh!t back over......just buy a tddi thats not rotten and fook all that hassel but whatever takes his fancy

You find me a good straight rust free TDDi (which I have never found near me) at a good price and I might show some interest, even then I'm not in a position to let my unrepaired van go at a loss as spares and simply pay for another one.
I can buy this rotten van with genuine 70k and service history for £300, do an engine/wiring/PCM swap, plus get all the other parts off that my van could do with. Might not be an easy option, but it is an option.

This is a cheaper option than even remanufactured injectors that I then have to pay someone to programme, with every chance that my TDCi engine with no history will play up again, pump might have issues, the turbo has known issues, and on and on.
they are a known unreliable lump, that I have avoided so far until now when I discovered one in this van after I brought it.

Money is tight and I have to explore all options.

Anyhow, just as an update, I have fitted a new cyl head temp sensor as the old one had bad soldering done on the wiring so that the wires were sometimes touching, so that was likely the cause for some cutting out and the fan being on.
Cam sensor has been changed.
Got a new fuel pump pressure valve coming, more for elimination purposes. This will be the last cheap fix I can try before going down the injector change route.
Good is never cheapImage
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Acacia » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:15 pm

Hi.

Any outcome to this?
Acacia
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Previous