*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Corrosion on '65 LWB - need your thoughts please

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Corrosion on '65 LWB - need your thoughts please

Postby KevofCov » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:03 am

Below are my sump pan and crossmember. I was surprised by the corrosion and rust. Nearly out of warranty so I asked my local dealer for their thoughts and all they would say is ‘they are all like it’. I found this answer really disappointing. Any thoughts would be welcome.
x.jpg

y.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Corrosion on '65 LWB - need your thoughts please

Postby andz327 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:50 am

3 year old van and your worried about that ...... really...... Dont drive it in the wet and definitely don't take it out in the winter
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:04 am

All is good perfect 8)
Have you considered slapping a bit of paint on it ?
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Punto443 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:18 am

It’s a transit! :lol:

Typically
Rusty
And
Normally
Shagged
Injector
Trouble
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:56 am

:lol: trouble is ..
Some owners are not fit for purpose
A 64 plate earlier today
One must show some responsibility it's actually your van you know
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby KevofCov » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:05 pm

Thank you for your thoughts gents. I’m really surprised by the resignation of you all. Is this product so poorly built that Ford and we the customers just shrug our shoulders. ‘They are all like it’ - so that makes it ok?
I am well able to clean off, rust treat and paint however why should I on a £22,000 vehicle this age?
Just say’in.
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:23 pm

I feel sure if you wanted to pay £25000 the manufacturer could give an extra coat of paint to the front subframe
But by the time that has rotted through the rest of the van will be shadows and dust anyway
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby twin wheel camper » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:26 pm

KevofCov wrote:Thank you for your thoughts gents. I’m really surprised by the resignation of you all. Is this product so poorly built that Ford and we the customers just shrug our shoulders. ‘They are all like it’ - so that makes it ok?
I am well able to clean off, rust treat and paint however why should I on a £22,000 vehicle this age?
Just say’in.

Your 100% correct with all the modern rust proofing available and in the very limited increase in the cost to ford it would be money well spent in the long run,there reputation though van owners just talking between themselves would sell more vans and get people to buy the product with better resale value and also better presentation on the road/workplace.
Of course they aren’t going to change as long as they still can sell vans and by the amount on the road they certainly are still able to sell them.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:05 pm

22k is very cheap
How much could you make one for ?
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:55 am

KevofCov wrote:Thank you for your thoughts gents. I’m really surprised by the resignation of you all. Is this product so poorly built that Ford and we the customers just shrug our shoulders. ‘They are all like it’ - so that makes it ok?
Just say’in.

The trouble is....they are all like that....even new ones that are still sitting in dealer yards for sale are rusted...poke your head under one and have a look.
Unlless you're in down under land...they don't rust down here as a rule....mine is 10 years old now and has nowt in the way of rust to speak of.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby loot » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:02 am

Despite the surface rust on those components the van will still be mot able for years to come, Ford won't spend a penny on making them last longer as they need the continued revenue.
The main dealers in all honesty are not Ford, they are just franchises with the badge on. Their profits are not made by keeping Ford owners happy, they try but anything more involved than a simple service or regular repair job and it's usually a no :-(
Warranty work it's probably a dealers headache, costly and waiting to see if Ford will cover it etc.
Ford warranty is also overstated, 12 year corrosion on a new transit. Well yes out all sounds good but in practice you have 2 chances.

Still sounds good when seeking them.

My sub frame was damaged so I replaced it, I wire brushed it and painted it Matt black.

I'm going to clean under my van and then seal it. I'm toying with the idea of 2k acrylic lacquer. :shock: might work might not but I think all those little day to day stone chips get through what little protection there is and the water too. You can wax oil it or shutz it but it looks messy and horrid and I thought the 2k would keep it looking new and clean :-)
My van is also 65 plate :-)
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby jamie182 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:24 am

i know that is only very light surface rust, but ford could do better if they wanted to. nowadays rust just isnt the problem it used to be, for the simple reason that engines don't last like they did. most will end up in a breakers or a scrapyard cause of the massively complex engine electrical system.
not like the good old 2.5DI if serviced occasionally will outlast the van about 10 times over

if it makes you feel any better this was my MK5
20170725_161313.jpg

took over a month to do all the welding on that!
jamie182
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:49 pm

Ironically the later Ford tdci engine has few electronic connections.

4 injectors is 8 wires
Cam sensor is 3 wires iirc?
Crank sensor is 2 wires.
Scv is 2 I think.
In theory that's all it needs to get it running, but you have lots of other connections to get it running optimally like the cht sensor and then emissions control and possibly other things I'm not thinking of.

In fact, I'd say it it's a very simple engine to control, the mk6 tddi pump arrangement in principle was more involved and also the fuel pump itself with all the electronics on it was just a stupid idea in the heat and wet and vibrations :?
That said though they seemed to last a few years before randomly just breaking, you might say it was a built in failure :shock:
Did I go there?
:lol:

But you are correct in that the later engines were prone to failing, usually due to over fueling from the injectors, a better method of measuring fuel flow into the bores would have been good, probably used in the euro 5 but then that used the extra burn of more fuel to generate the heat to burn off the nox/dpf soot whatever, but then that would make matters worse wouldn't it in over fueling situation.

So maybe the euro6 engine setup is the way forward, adblu isn't flammable so it would cool nox(possibly) and detract from over fueling scenario which is good, plus get the suckers to pay for it rather that it being an own fault meaning warranty??

Am ia Negative Nelly? :lol:

I'm not tally familiar to these new mk6 engines though and could be talking nonsense. :oops:

Bloody rust eh :-)
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby loot » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Jees loot the op only said look at my rusty undercarriage :lol:
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Return to Technical Problems & Questions