*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

rust/corrosion - thoughts - haven't had a rust bucket before

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

rust/corrosion - thoughts - haven't had a rust bucket before

Postby Niccapotamus » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:21 am

the "new to us" old girl (1996 transit autosleeper) is going up on a ramp next week for a service and a poke around.

She looks in really good nick - a few bubbles here and there esp on wheel-arches and sills, a few near the odd weld.

Hopefully nothing that needs welding in the short term and the prev owners did a nice job of keeping her looking pretty damn good.

what's the general advice re this stuff?

waxoyl (are there any how to guides?), leave it until the MOT tester grumbles? or try and sort as many as possible (ie go looking for trouble) -

I'm just after general thoughts really :) Haven't owned a potential rust bucket since my 20's (Mid 1980's) so i'm rusty on these topics :D

ta
Niccapotamus
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: rust/corrosion - thoughts - haven't had a rust bucket be

Postby dumper » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:36 am

Definitely waxoil it on mine in the past I’ve also sprayed gear oil inside the box sections and when I did a oil change sprayed that in as well and used waxoil on the outside underneath plus in the doors and under the bonnet
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ABA » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:00 pm

underneath wire brush ever thing then ether wax oil or Shultz and cover everything use it sparingly my transit was starting to get surface rust underneath a couple of years ago did mine on the front yard up on heavy duty ramps borrowed a large compressor purchased a Shultz gun and Shultz underseal lathered it every where last 2 mots went straight through next mot next month will wait and see
ABA
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:56 pm

For me I don’t trust Shultz it dries to form a skin and looks nice and just covers up any rust that’s there wax oil never really sets wasit oil is good but makes a real mess on the driveway I’ve always like gear oil as at work we had a h reg transit service van which really back then had no real rust protection at all we used to have a engine oil and gear oil pump strapped to the osr of the van it used to leak oil every wear when it came time to replace it it was really ruff underneath apart from the osr it was like new when the muck and oil was wiped off
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions