*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Passenger side door lock

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Passenger side door lock

Postby FrustratedMe » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi all, new member here.

I've had a Ford Transit for just over a year now, with only minor problems. Occasionally I'd receive a beep from my vehicle after pressing the lock button on the key fob. I'd check all doors were closed, click it again, then it'd seem to right itself & lock as normal.

Tonight is the first time I've been unable to lock it. It keeps beeping at me, and since I'm in dense suburbia at the moment, it being around 9pm here, I'm a little peeved.

I'm already well past the established insanity check, having pressed the same button, somehow expecting different results.

I'll repost with my Vehicle's make & model when I overcome the urge to curl up into a foetal position.
FrustratedMe

Re: Passenger side door lock

Postby knobby1 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:34 pm

It beeps because it thinks a door is open. You've probably got a duff door lock mechanism or the wiring/loom to it isn't well.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby FrustratedMe » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:35 am

Update:

Shortly after posting, I decided "I can't leave this here, unlocked on the street all night"

So I had dinner, a cup of coffee, & drove a couple of hours to my rural home to the comfortable security of isolation, big fences & dogs. As soon as I unloaded the vehicle, I tried the lock, and it worked. After some internal swearing, I tried the lock several times & I was beeped at several times.

So I went to bed.

This morning, I called the local ford dealer.

He suggested it could have something to do with the actuator, suggesting I remove and replace the battery, incase of a bad connection. He then quoted the part price being somewhere in the 150-300 dollar mark.

This prompted some more internal swearing.

I was also more than a little disturbed when he suggested giving the door a solid kick if that failed.

So I unscrewed all the screws on the interior lining of the passenger door, hoping to have a look at what was wrong. Then I couldn't figure out how to remove it, as there was still something keeping the lining firmly attached.

So I went away, had some tea, came back, sprayed some WD40 into both the locking mechanism & inside the interior handle, went away again, had a bikkie, came back, tried the lock, and it worked.

I unlock & lock half a dozen times, and it worked.

I'm about to head outside again and have another go at it. I'll take a squiz at the engine plate & come back with the model and year
FrustratedMe

Postby FrustratedMe » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:14 pm

I finally found the engine plate, located on the inside rim of the driver's door, and apparently it's a 2013 12 seater bus version of a ford transit. Manual, Diesel, 2WD.

I'm sure I was given all the details when I bought it, but who remembers these things?

I'd like to find out what was wrong, rather than happily & blissfully obliviously potter along until it happens again. There's something just wrong about spraying fish oil on to make it work.

Any ideas?
FrustratedMe

Postby knobby1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:30 am

FrustratedMe wrote:I finally found the engine plate, located on the inside rim of the driver's door, and apparently it's a 2013 12 seater bus version of a ford transit. Manual, Diesel, 2WD.

I'm sure I was given all the details when I bought it, but who remembers these things?

Any ideas?

I can't believe people own vehicles for over a year and don't know what they have...how do you order parts etc...?

As I mentioned before, it's probably a duff/sticking lock mechanism, just replace it and be done with it.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions