*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit 350 power loss

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Transit 350 power loss

Postby jonnny_27 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:18 am

I have a transit 350 tipper on a 2005 2.4tdci
While driving it. It has no power in 1st/2nd and in 3rd until 2500rpm and the pulls hard after that once the turbo has kicked in.
Its had recently new map sensor. Egr blanked off (Iv tried it unblanked too makes no difference) New exhaust. New turbo. Full service. New crankshaft sensor.

Any help would be appreciated
Cheers
jonnny_27

Re: Transit 350 power loss

Postby wojciech » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:52 pm

jonnny_27 wrote:While driving it. It has no power in 1st/2nd and in 3rd until 2500rpm and the pulls hard after that once the turbo has kicked in.
s

It looks like broken vacu VGT turbo control system. Turbocompressor should reach max pressure also below 2.500 rpm, but vanes must be in correct position.
In 2,4 tdci it is hard to look, how works vacu servo on turbo. But after all, when you start engine, servo at once (on idle) should move rod to opposite position. It is good to see under car with good light.
Now quick, easy test - still on idle disconnect vacu pipe from servo port - rod shoudl move out immediately to opposit position. And now connect pipe back - rod must move quickly into servo to the end.
Test by hand is rod stopped in both positions in extreme positions.
If servo works indolently and doesn't go to the extremal positions - that's probable cause of your problems. Test do with cold engine - hands burn! (in 2,0 tdci it is much more easy...)

-------------------------------------

Correct diagnosis: - you drive van, and good, conscious diagnostician with IDS laptop on his lap, in real mode, looks for pressure in intake.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby jonnny_27 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:01 pm

It hasn't got a vgt turbo. It's just a standard one. Theres two solenoids beside the turbo could they possibly be a fault? There attached to the egr and turbo actuator.
Cheers
jonnny_27

Postby wojciech » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:36 pm

jonnny_27 wrote:It hasn't got a vgt turbo. It's just a standard one. Theres two solenoids beside the turbo could they possibly be a fault? There attached to the egr and turbo actuator.
Cheers

No... Mk6 2,4 tdci 135HP has VGT for 100%, but it is controlled by vacu system from PCM, first by vacu electric solenoid and later vacu servo with short rod connected to VGT lever in turbo. Vacu VGT servo looks very similar as pressure servo in standard Wastegate turbo...
This two solenoids works one for turbo, second for EGR. It can be fault. Check whole vacu system, is it tight...
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby jonnny_27 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:11 pm

Il check that. The turbo is brand now. So I'm assuming it the solenoid that is the problem. Can you get the solenoids separately? The only place I can find them is genuine ford and their £460 Cheers
jonnny_27

Postby wojciech » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:17 pm

jonnny_27 wrote:Il check that. The turbo is brand now.

But what did you check? If vacu system is it tight, check - after all - turbo. Just if turbo is also checked, try check vacu solenoid...
Is turbo brand new from Honeywel/Garrettl dealer or is it remanufactured in Garrett or regenerated somewhere?

jonnny_27 wrote:Can you get the solenoids separately? The only place I can find them is genuine ford and their £460 Cheers

Try to find it on ebay - not only from Transit, Mondeo Mk3 2,0 tdci has the same vacu sytem.
I don't know British realities. I'm in Warsaw.

---------------------------------------
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby jonnny_27 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:47 pm

Whilst the engine was running I pulled the vacuum pipe off and the actuator moved one way. When I put it back on it moved the other way. Could this indicate a bad pressure valve.
jonnny_27

Postby jonnny_27 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:52 pm

It was a brand new garret unit. Iv just looked on ebay and they look the same on the mondeo valve. Il try and get on nxt week.
jonnny_27

Postby wojciech » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:57 am

jonnny_27 wrote:Whilst the engine was running I pulled the vacuum pipe off and the actuator moved one way. When I put it back on it moved the other way. Could this indicate a bad pressure valve.

It's more likely...

It's that is to low fuel delivery in first turbocompressor working range (up to around 2,500rpm) - this may be:
1. - to low air pressure in inlet, because of broken VGT control system
2. - soft error in PCM
3. - broken PCM

Because of no limp mode - fuel system maybe is ok.

We talk now about first point, but before you start pay next money - you should be sure about problem. Can you find conscious diagnostician with IDS ? During driving in real mode he should control air pressure and temperature in inlet. During you drive van, he looks for laptop on his knees.
It is possible verify yourself by cheap analog boost gauge - but must be done small whole for pipe connector in inlet.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Technical Problems & Questions