*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk 7 rear disc brakes binding

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk 7 rear disc brakes binding

Postby Old School » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:33 am

Two faults with the rear brakes on my Mk7. First, they are binding on both sides, second, the handbrake doesnt work.

My reasoning is that the brakes could be binding due to seized calipers, Are there any other typical problems to look for?

Next, the handbrake cables seem to be far too loose, which would account for it not working. Setting it up as described in the Haynes manual locks the wheels completely. Its only when the cables are readjusted to where they were that the brakes release. Is there something that I am missing?

Apologies if these seem like DA qustions, but the last Transit I drove was a brand new Mk1!

Edit: If it helps, pads appear ok, the right brake binds more than the left, and though the outer faces of the discs are perfect, the inners are not. The left being noticeably worse than the right. Obviously, these will be replaced, along with pads, guide pins etc.
Old School

Re: Mk 7 rear disc brakes binding

Postby knobby1 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:15 am

Definitely sounds like binding calipers, you can get caliper kits reasonably cheaply....or complete new ones aren't to expensive either.
Are the cables totally free to slide through their outers??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:09 pm

Cables are slack due to brakes being seized in the on position, when your winding in the pistons remeber one winds in clockwise and other anti-clockwise
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Old School » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:40 pm

knobby1 wrote:Definitely sounds like binding calipers, you can get caliper kits reasonably cheaply....or complete new ones aren't to expensive either.
Are the cables totally free to slide through their outers??

Lord Knobrot

Yes, the cables are free to slide through their outers. The thing that troubles me is that the inside faces of the discs are damaged, and I dont understand the reason why. Its not the kind of damage usually caused by worn pads.

Re winding in the pistons, which is clockwise, and which anticlock? Looking from which direction?
Old School

Postby knobby1 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:35 am

Old School wrote:Re winding in the pistons, which is clockwise, and which anticlock? Looking from which direction?

Left side Anti-clockwise....and right side obviously clockwise.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Punto443 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:59 am

Seal kits area about £20, takes about an hour each side to rebuild.

You can try a just free off the lever without stripping, but it’s short lived.
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Return to Technical Problems & Questions