*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Van charging

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Van charging

Postby Transits felixstowe » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi, ive got a 2013 transit which is not charging. Ive just fitted a new alternator but still not charging. The new alternator is reading nearly 15v coming out the back of it when engine running, but the batterys are showing less voltage than before starting, anyone got any ideas? Thanks
Transits felixstowe

Re: Van charging

Postby rebuilder86 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:10 pm

15 volts? im not an auto electrician but that doesnt sound right. I think the max should be 13.8 or something. unles ur voltimeter is just an analogue one and is off a bit perhaps?
There may be a simple explanation, like perhaps the wire to the battery from the alternator is broken, perhaps leading to an unregulated output voltage, whcih probabyl means there was nothign wrong with your original alternator, just a wire broken or come off sor somethign like that.
im just farting out my thoughts, dont get fixated on anything i say, just check all the wires involved with a good eye.
rebuilder86
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Van charging

Postby knobby1 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:51 am

rebuilder86 wrote:15 volts? im not an auto electrician but that doesnt sound right. I think the max should be 13.8 or something. unles ur voltimeter is just an analogue one and is off a bit perhaps?

Charging voltage across the battery should be in the 14.4 volt range....0.1v or 0.2v either side of that will be ok.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions