*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

headgasket blown? advise need, please...

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

headgasket blown? advise need, please...

Postby adamandy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:53 pm

Hello, for last three days I need to top up coolant 2 litres per day, and today just found that when engined running for some time, a steam is coming from the point indicated by RED ARROW on the photo below, is that head gasket blown? :( I have added K-seal but no help. Please advise! Thanks!

adamandy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby FredTransit » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:00 pm

That's a core plug. May be it needs replacing.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby adamandy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:04 pm

Thanks... Can I do it myself? or may be I can just dry it and put something like quickstill on top? Or pressure is too high and any epoxy will be blown away?

FredTransit wrote:That's a core plug. May be it needs replacing.
adamandy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MrMPuk » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:05 pm

Just knock the core plug out and out a new one in with a bit of Hylormar on it.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby adamandy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:04 pm

Drove few more miles around (2.4 litres of coolant gone in 20 mins), and steaming, looked again with proper torch, looks steam was going from somewhere underneath, could it be bottom gasket (if such exist)?

Also, anyone can advise how much would cost to change bottom gasket in an average garage? thanx!

MrMPuk wrote:Just knock the core plug out and out a new one in with a bit of Hylormar on it.
adamandy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MrMPuk » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:05 pm

No gaskets just change the core plug.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jamieo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:06 pm

Core plugs are easy to change and are very cheap.

EDIT: The last core plug that I changed was on a capri about 8 years ago and it only cost 47p from a ford dealers.
Blue 1998 Ford transit 2.5di 70ps 120 swb low roof Mk5 with 5 seats. 1.5 turns on pump, egr butterfly removed and a stainless steel Urban X funnel air filter fitted. Now happily burning SVO.
jamieo
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby adamandy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:22 pm

Cool, I would try (already found some core plugs ebay)...

Stupid question -- how do I knock old plugs out, Haynes manual has no info whatsoever :(

Can I do from outside? or shall I disassemble something?

jamieo wrote:Core plugs are easy to change and are very cheap.

EDIT: The last core plug that I changed was on a capri about 8 years ago and it only cost 47p from a ford dealers.
adamandy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MrMPuk » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:30 pm

You can get the core plugs out by deforming them with a screw driver, then knock the new one in with an appropiate sized socket. Looks like you will need to take the manifold off to do this though.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Nighthawk » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:36 pm

are you sure thats where the leak is?

the water pipe can get a tiny hole in it and put a fine spray onto the exhaust manifold, that'll evaporate and make it look steamy in the area without soaking things.
Transit.........Job done
Nighthawk
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby gardener68 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:21 pm

Nighthawk wrote:are you sure thats where the leak is?

the water pipe can get a tiny hole in it and put a fine spray onto the exhaust manifold, that'll evaporate and make it look steamy in the area without soaking things.

the pipe on my van got a hole where it goes round the back of the rocker cover.
real tricky to suss out because the water leaked out and ran back along the head gasket joint to the front of engine and made steam everywhere.

smear some grease or similar round the coreplug and if it gets blown away then thats where the leak is.
gardener68
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby adamandy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:13 pm

No, am not sure that namely core plugs are leaking, good idea about the grease, I will try tomorrow morning!!! Thanks!

gardener68 wrote:

the pipe on my van got a hole where it goes round the back of the rocker cover.
real tricky to suss out because the water leaked out and ran back along the head gasket joint to the front of engine and made steam everywhere.

smear some grease or similar round the coreplug and if it gets blown away then thats where the leak is.
adamandy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby motorwise » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:23 pm

I agree, the stains are clearly on top of the manifold and the core plug doesn't look corroded at all - check the heater hose above it thouroughly
Ford Transit - Backbone Of Britain
http://www.motorwise.net
if you want to get on in life, its not what you know, its not who you know, its what you know about who you know
motorwise
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby adamandy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:35 pm

Will do when sun rise, cause drained batteries on all my torches looking for hole... All hoses seem to be dry, just mystical leak... Will report tomorrow, if find the hole...

BTW, good info about installing plugs
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/09 ... oPages.htm

===========================

motorwise wrote:

I agree, the stains are clearly on top of the manifold and the core plug doesn't look corroded at all - check the heater hose above it thouroughly
adamandy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

sorted

Postby adamandy » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:03 am

Many thanks, everyone! found leak this morning, it was a hole in heater return hose but just on the corner, when hose turn right, see pic of the bandaged place (red arrow).

thanks for your help!

motorwise wrote:

adamandy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions