*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

P00BD - Mass air flow too high - ONLY WHEN WARM

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

P00BD - Mass air flow too high - ONLY WHEN WARM

Postby paule3d » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:52 pm

Hi.

Does anyone have any idea why this code would show up only after the engine has warmed up?

I've tried a different MAF sensor, and Intake Air Temp sensor - no change. There's no *obvious* air leaks.

As mentioned only happens when engine has warmed up.

It has had EGR delete by Vantuner, and I've blocked EGR, in case that might be relevant.

Thanks for any advice.
paule3d

Re: P00BD - Mass air flow too high - ONLY WHEN WARM

Postby knobby1 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:25 am

paule3d wrote:Hi.

Does anyone have any idea why this code would show up only after the engine has warmed up?

I've tried a different MAF sensor, and Intake Air Temp sensor - no change. There's no *obvious* air leaks.

As mentioned only happens when engine has warmed up.

It has had EGR delete by Vantuner, and I've blocked EGR, in case that might be relevant.

Thanks for any advice.

You still may have a split boost pipe or intercooler...they can be hard to find sometimes.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby paule3d » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:50 am

Thanks, Ive bought a load of washing up liquid, I'll set about all the pipes with it looking for bubbles!

The weird thing is, I had a massive air leak at the manifold EGR pipe hole, turns out the o-ring went missing after wrestling to get EGR pipe in manifold.
That flagged turbo underboost error at first.

I then tried a generic o-ring - it was better but could feel slight air leak at idle.
Ordered a proper ford one - still minor air leak ffs so I used both o-rings and then it was fine (no air leak - *at idle).

But Ive just realised. It will idle all day without issue. Maybe when I accelerate uphill, more air is forcing some out. How the heck to test that without having my hand in engine bay to feel the air when driving uphill :/

Think I'll have to get manifold off and bodge something to block EGR hole!
Some plate steel that wont bend in middle when screws done up tight with layer of rubber as a gasket maybe. At least then the b*stard EGR pipe wont be a big hassle to get back on after engine maintenance. (It's RWD - maybe its easier on FWD).

Cheers
paule3d

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:14 pm

i confess that i don't quite know what these pipes will be doing at tickover not knowing much about turbos ..but i would have thought they will be pulling as vacuum at tick over, and you would be testing with brake cleaner ..squirting it on ...and looking for change of rpm as the cleaner gets sucked in through the point of leakage.
at higher rpms ..it would change from a vacuum to a positive pressure as the turbo comes into effect...that's my understanding.
As far as i know most sensor signals are ignored until it gets to a certain temperature, this is how the system runs, when its cold its called "open loop" ignoring the signals and using its ECU data base to keep engine running, once warmed up it goes closed loop and uses the information from the sensors to adjust things. works out if the sensor signals are within spec ..if not, puts a light on in the dash to tell you so, followed by limp home mode if serous error.

i don't mind being corrected on this ..

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby paule3d » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:47 am

Thanks, I'll use some brake cleaner spray, thats safe for the turbo then?

Regards
paule3d

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:27 pm

Well you are not going nuts with the spray ..you are sort of putting small amounts on where you suspect the leaks are ..wait a few seconds for rpm increase..if nothing ..move onto the next area

you could increase the rpm to say 1800..then it would be positive pressure and you could then use the soapy water test.

but if you ask me ...myself ...
the following is a a job that should be done on these vans at least every couple of years or 15,000 miles, what ever comes first

I would be taking all the pipework off including intercooler ..and giving it all a really good clean inside and out ..during the clean you can inspect each piece individually for damage or cracks..or rubber sealing gaskets ..ripped, torn , deformed etc ...
What you will find ------- lots of oily gunge..
I use very strong solution of biological washing powder...sort of 1 cup full to every pint of boiling water ..intercooler has to be taken out...it will probably take 2- 3 pints

block one end ...pour it in let stand for five mins ...shake it ..pour it out and flush with hose.

you could use paraffin , jizer or petrol ..but that would be far more expensive than cheap lidl / aldi washing powder.

note your "Mass air flow sensor" is in the pipework ..this may be gunged up ..use a paint brush with soapy water to clean it .

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby paule3d » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:04 pm

Thanks for the tips. I still havent got round to it as have a lot of other higher priority issues in life at the moment!

I'll hopefully have a chance in a few days and try remember to update here.

Regards
paule3d

Return to Technical Problems & Questions