*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Forscan For Glowplugs

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Forscan For Glowplugs

Postby Simontfs » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:40 pm

good evening all,

Can anyone please give a bit of advice on how to use Forscan to check if glowplugs are working?

Thank you
Ford Transit MK7 2010 115T280 - 2.2 Tdci
EU model - LHD/FWD
Euro 4, 115HP - 6 Speed
195/70R15C 104/102R
Simontfs
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Forscan For Glowplugs

Postby knobby1 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:18 am

Simontfs wrote:good evening all,

Can anyone please give a bit of advice on how to use Forscan to check if glowplugs are working?

Thank you

What model Transit..?? Mk6 or Mk7..?? Euro-3, 4 or 5..??

If they are working properly, you'll not see any fault codes. I'm not aware of any specific glow plug test within Forscan....but Forscan gets frequent software updates so it may have been introduced and I haven't seen it....has been quite a while since I last used it.

Forscan usually just gives a fault code for failed glow plugs, they're wired in parallel so it won't know which one is blown or if more than one are blown....they are often/usually shorted to ground and end up blowing the fuseable link near the engine bay fuse box.

Sometimes the glow plug power bus bar breaks at the power connection point due to corrosion or vibration etc... In that case you may get an "open circuit" fault.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Forscan For Glowplugs

Postby Simontfs » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:28 am

What model Transit..?? Mk6 or Mk7..?? Euro-3, 4 or 5..??

If they are working properly, you'll not see any fault codes. I'm not aware of any specific glow plug test within Forscan....but Forscan gets frequent software updates so it may have been introduced and I haven't seen it....has been quite a while since I last used it.

Forscan usually just gives a fault code for failed glow plugs, they're wired in parallel so it won't know which one is blown or if more than one are blown....they are often/usually shorted to ground and end up blowing the fuseable link near the engine bay fuse box.

Sometimes the glow plug power bus bar breaks at the power connection point due to corrosion or vibration etc... In that case you may get an "open circuit" fault.

Lord Knobrot

Good Morning, sorry about that yeah its a

EU model - LHD/FWD
Euro 4, 115HP - 6 Speed
195/70R15C 104/102R

So I haven't had any open circuit errors, but I will however have a good look at this bus bar as I had the air filter box off the other day and did see quite a bit of corrosion on the glowplug ends that are tucked away under the metal fuel lines so i expect the busbar is not free from corrosion either. good tip. thank you
EU model - LHD/FWD
Euro 4, 115HP - 6 Speed
195/70R15C 104/102R
Simontfs
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Technical Problems & Questions