*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Auto Conversion

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Auto Conversion

Postby spontaneocus » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:50 am

Im a disabled driver looking to buy a second hand transit for conversion to a camper (so I can travel and have somewhere to sleep if I get tired).

Automatics are way too pricey at the mo, so I was thinking about a conversion to auto from manual.

Im just looking for someone to confirm if my assessment is right or wrong here.

By my understanding, all transits are Auto Shifting Manual (ASM), and the gears are actually changed by a motor attached to the gearbox. As I understand it (and I have only been able to find info on manual to auto, not the other way around) I don't need to change the entire gearbox, just the motor on the gearbox and the gearstick from manual to auto. Is this correct?
spontaneocus

Re: Auto Conversion

Postby dumper » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:56 am

http://www.davidrelph.com have a look at this website maybe an idea they have a hand clutch control system.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby spontaneocus » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:27 pm

Hi Dumper,

Thanks for the link but its not a disability modification I am looking for. Im only licensed to drive class B auto and a hand clutch would still be classed as a manual - but thanks anyhoo.

dumper wrote:http://www.davidrelph.com have a look at this website maybe an idea they have a hand clutch control system.
spontaneocus

Postby knobby1 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:36 pm

spontaneocus wrote:By my understanding, all transits are Auto Shifting Manual (ASM), and the gears are actually changed by a motor attached to the gearbox. As I understand it (and I have only been able to find info on manual to auto, not the other way around) I don't need to change the entire gearbox, just the motor on the gearbox and the gearstick from manual to auto. Is this correct?

You've not told us whether you have a Mk6 or Mk7 or whether FWD or RWD.

Not "all" transits are ASM, only a very small % of RWD Mk6 Transits are ASM, all FWD and the the vast majority of RWD Mk6's are manual...."all" Mk7's are manual. The Mk7 was never available in ASM or auto.

Getting a RWD manual switched to auto is possible but not easy. I've not heard of a FWD being converted.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jay » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:35 pm

knobby1 wrote:
spontaneocus wrote:By my understanding, all transits are Auto Shifting Manual (ASM), and the gears are actually changed by a motor attached to the gearbox. As I understand it (and I have only been able to find info on manual to auto, not the other way around) I don't need to change the entire gearbox, just the motor on the gearbox and the gearstick from manual to auto. Is this correct?

Not "all" transits are ASM, only a very small % of RWD Mk6 Transits are ASM, all FWD and the the vast majority of RWD Mk6's are manual...."all" Mk7's are manual. The Mk7 was never available in ASM or auto.

Getting a RWD manual switched to auto is possible but not easy. I've not heard of a FWD being converted.

Lord Knobrot

err yes the mk7 was available as a auto but super rare VMT6 and automatic 6-step. see transit centre page at the bottom.
https://www.transitcenter.uk/transit-mk ... cation.php
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:42 pm

jay wrote:err yes the mk7 was available as a auto but super rare VMT6 and automatic 6-step. see transit centre page at the bottom.
https://www.transitcenter.uk/transit-mk ... cation.php

VMT-6 is just a normal FWD 6 speed...The Euro-4 130/140 FWD's and "all" Euro-5 Mk7 FWD's are VMT-6 6 speed gearboxes.....we've "never" seen a factory auto Mk7 here on this forum.

There's no mention of an auto gearbox for a Mk7 in any of the Ford workshop manuals or parts catalogues.

https://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l ... aGE9PTM%3D

https://workshop-manuals.com/ford/Trans ... fullindex/

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby spontaneocus » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:21 pm

Hello. I don't have any. Im planning to buy the van to match my needs. But the price for autos is through the roof.

knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot
spontaneocus

Return to Technical Problems & Questions