*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Changing Glow plugs

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: Changing Glow plugs

Postby jay » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:23 am

@campervan1..Thats going to be garages problem now unless they said further work would be paid for by yourself... most transit glow plugs wont be working by now and unless u got a TDCI if you got cold start problems its very unlikely to be glow plugs its more likely fuel filter head problem or fuel pump solenoid leaking fuel making air enter when the engine isnt running... Mine starts at minus 15 last year when on holiday with no problems minus 18 was a lot of turning over and colder needed eberspacher heater to be left on as it wouldnt start by then and my glow plugs havent worked since I had the van.. my old van they didnt work and it made no diffrence, they was fitted to help clean up cold starts emmisions more than anything else.. When I worked at fords we very rarely replaced any glow plugs and ones we did we thrashed van up and down duel carrageway till it was hot and then a bit of extra heat on each glow plug before even attempting to remove them..
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Andy P » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:23 am

I replaced mine a while ago along with the mains lead which was burnt, just put a socket on them and they came out no prob no heat needed, was an easy job really, I do keep hearing that they do give grief to come out, guess I was lucky
Andy P
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Campervan1 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:34 pm

We have finally got the van back after 4 weeks in the garage. I suspect they started the engine causing damage. They had to have the valve seats repaired by an engineer.
It does start well now but we are not sure if any other damage has been done.
Wait + see I guess. :(
Campervan1

Previous

Return to Technical Problems & Questions