*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

trouble starting .....

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

trouble starting .....

Postby jawjzs » Sun May 25, 2008 9:52 am

hello all, I've a 1999 petrol LWB transit which only recently has started giving me trouble starting.
It used to start within the first few cranks then idle up whilst warming up, however the problem I have is that I can sit there cranking for ages without even a glimmer of hope. It does eventually start but only after frustrating minutes of cranking. If nothing else, Ive a great battery.! :wink:
Ive gone through all the electrical connectors and re-sat them. Sprayed carb cleaner into the air manifold hot wire in case there was a build up and checked the air filter....all good. If I could only get to the spark plugs, I'd check them to, however the access is nigh on impossible. Any hints on that task?
When it does finally start, it runs "normally" and you would'nt suspect there was a problem.
Im guessing the fuel pump is not working .....

Anyone got any clues or suggestions please......

cheers
jawjzs
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: trouble starting .....

Postby bigdazz » Thu May 29, 2008 12:26 pm

fuel pump or the injectors could be air in the line or the fuel relay
2007 350 115
see me see the sea i love the sea me
bigdazz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby shug » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:18 pm

I had the same problem on an Audi 80 years ago, it turned out to be a faulty earth to the fuel pump. Most intermittent electrical faults turn out to be a poor earth.
shug
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jawjzs » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:42 pm

thanks for the replies to date, the wife took it into a mechanics and after alot of mucking around they found an intermittent ecu relay ..... go figure. Starts first time now.
cheers
jawjzs
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby et0 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:26 pm

OK, this sounds like my problem! Anyone know where the "ECU relays" are?
et0

Postby jawjzs » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:04 am

going through old posts ... heres what the problem was. It was a seized fuel pump ! I was able to locate the fuel lines in the engine bay ( coloured red and white .... white is fuel supply and red is return )
So irrespective of the replaced relay ... wherever that was ... the pump was on its way out as well. I had to cut an access hatch into the floor just inside the sliding door to gain access to the fuel sender/pump assembly.
It was that or dropping the tank ... not an enticing thing to ponder.
All good now !
jawjzs
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby DodgeRover » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:07 pm

First thing to check would be the spark plugs the gaps can open up with age, they are a service item anyway so need replacing on a regular basis.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Technical Problems & Questions