*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

veg oil

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: veg oil

Postby stuartadair » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:32 am

Hi,

There wont be any issue with fuel lines. I did renew a piece when I installed the heater and just used standard 9mm fuel pipe.

From reading posts on the web having the heater fitted would be the minimum mod. I've often wondered why people would go to the trouble of a duel tank system as you would only use a sniff of diesel to start before moving onto veg oil, certainly not enough to clear down the fuel lines of one fuel and move to the next.

I agree with you about the warrenty. No doubt Ford would invalidate any warrenty if they found out. Just part of the great process designed to keep us in the pocket of the petrol companies and governments - My god I'm sounding like David Icke now :shock:
Cheapest veg oil prices at www.vegoil.me.uk
stuartadair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby stuartadair » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:38 am

Yep, direct injection same as you.

I did once post a question on here about ring gumming and had a response back with pics of an engine that had SVO for a long while and it was clear as a whistle.

I've certainly not had any issues.

Stu :mrgreen:
Cheapest veg oil prices at www.vegoil.me.uk
stuartadair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby WarthogARJ » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:46 pm

stuartadair wrote:Hi,

There wont be any issue with fuel lines. I did renew a piece when I installed the heater and just used standard 9mm fuel pipe.

From reading posts on the web having the heater fitted would be the minimum mod. I've often wondered why people would go to the trouble of a duel tank system as you would only use a sniff of diesel to start before moving onto veg oil, certainly not enough to clear down the fuel lines of one fuel and move to the next.

I agree with you about the warrenty. No doubt Ford would invalidate any warrenty if they found out. Just part of the great process designed to keep us in the pocket of the petrol companies and governments - My god I'm sounding like David Icke now :shock:

Hi,
Maybe this thread is too old, but i think the idea behind the dual tank/hybrid system is for cold weather, as well as being able to use quite viscous svo.
A guy in Colorado uses a dual system to start up in sub zero conditions, warm up the engine, and send hot coolant through the warming lines to the svo tank, wrapped supply line and heated filter. He runs 5-10 minutes on diesel at start and then at the end.
And i think you would need quite a long period of diesel flow through lines that had svo in them to really clear them. The diesel flow rate is not very big, and the pipes are quite big for the flow in most cases. So the flow velocity is quite low, and at cooler temperatures i think it might take quite a while to really flush out the svo.
WarthogARJ
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Technical Problems & Questions