*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

We need axle info!!!

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: We need axle info!!!

Postby manandvan » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:47 pm

FAO sven type 51= six stud single wheel
52= twin wheel
53= twin wheel a series (different mounts,wont fit transit) :D
manandvan
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby manandvan » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:49 pm

ps a series with 14" wheels a0406 model = type 53 axle
manandvan
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby nokites » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:11 pm

Transit 1995 (08/1994-07/2000)

Axle Type
34 Timken (less L.S.D)
51A Heavy Salisbury (less L.S.D)
53 Heavy Salisbury (less L.S.D)
34 Timken (with L.S.D)
51A Heavy Salisbury (with L.S.D)
53 Heavy Salisbury (with L.S.D)

Axle Ratio
OLD CHINESE PROVERB

Man who works for nothing and women who f****s for nothing ---------ALLWAYS GOT PLENTY TO DO
nokites
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby miller » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:24 pm

Antonio Masiero SpA (http://www.masiero.com) make aftermarket diff gears for the some of the transit diffs.

I have the 6 stud in my 190, and needed to get rid of the 5.14 for something more highway suitable. Genuine Ford was not an option due to cost so I got a 4.63 Masiero gearset fitted. Done over 100000 kms on it, good as gold, and was able to get the speedo spot on with a genuine Ford gear as well.

Hope this is relevant. :wink:
miller

Postby stevie+ » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:27 pm

so is the 5.14 ratio best for towing
stevie+
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:08 pm

Yes, it gives good pulling power but will mean that the engine is revving hard at 70mph
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Eugene Speed » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:26 pm

Need help with rear axle info on my 1991 County. As far as I can work out from the identifying info presented in the Haynes manual I have a 'G' type 53 axle (six stud, twin rear wheel). I am guessing that the County would use only the lowest diff ratio, can anyone confirm this? I am looking at replacing or overhauling the rear axle so would like to know what identifying marks I am looking for so if I get a replacement from another van I get the same ratio as I already have so as to match the front diff.

The reason for wanting to do a change/overhaul of the axle is that there is a very slight sideways free play on the pinion shaft/propshaft flange, and evidence of axle oil starting to weep from the oil seal, not by much but it is evident. Is there any way of adjusting out the free play, or replacing the bearing on the pinion shaft? The Haynes book explains that the oil seal can be replaced with care, but no mention of adjusting or replacing the bearing. Any advice on how to work on this axle would be appreciated, as I have never owned a twin-wheel axled Transit before.
91 Transit County 4x4
88 Transit 130 armoured van
99 Transit spec lift
90 Fiat Panda 4x4

http://facebook.com/eugene.speed
http://tuffcomputercompany.com
http://transitcounty4x4.co.uk
http://truthsearchersuk.org

Member of the Mk3 Massive! :)
Eugene Speed
MK3 Massive

Postby alun74 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:45 pm

hi
well i have two countys one has a front axle ratio (clearly marked on the i.d. plate on the left hand side of the front of the front diff housing) of 5.83 the other has 5.89!!! i`m sure another guy on here said this 1990 model had a 4.63in the front and 4.55 in the rear from new has standard!!!!!! and the front rear are ment to be different?! (both of my countys are also 1990 models) so YES more info please,.
thanks
alun
alun74

Postby jnwferguson » Tue May 04, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi guys has anyone fitted a jag axle to there transit I know the front axle comes on a subframe so should be an easier fit than a lot of other axles also you can get a fitting kit for the rear I was considering this for my mk2 change both axles and have full independant suspension and power steering and most jag axles are 58" wide.
cheers jim.

mk2 camper
mk2 4x4
mk2 ci travelhome camper

the devil is in the detail
jnwferguson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Eugene Speed » Wed May 05, 2010 6:15 pm

jnwferguson wrote:Hi guys has anyone fitted a jag axle to there transit I know the front axle comes on a subframe so should be an easier fit than a lot of other axles also you can get a fitting kit for the rear I was considering this for my mk2 change both axles and have full independant suspension and power steering and most jag axles are 58" wide.
cheers jim.

mk2 camper
mk2 4x4

Once fitted a Jag rear axle to a V8 powered Mk2 LWB, wasn't too tricky to fabricate suitable mountings but had to get uprated springs and dampers fitted. Also had to make a handbrake system for it, which consisted of an aluminium 'brake disc' sandwiched between the prop and diff flange, and a caliper from a motor scooter which was attached to the handbrake cable, made a very effective propshaft handbrake. Some 14" slot-mags and fat Hoosier tyres made sure the arches were filled nicely!
91 Transit County 4x4
88 Transit 130 armoured van
99 Transit spec lift
90 Fiat Panda 4x4

http://facebook.com/eugene.speed
http://tuffcomputercompany.com
http://transitcounty4x4.co.uk
http://truthsearchersuk.org

Member of the Mk3 Massive! :)
Eugene Speed
MK3 Massive

Postby ginsambo » Wed May 05, 2010 6:34 pm

Anyone have any info on a heavy duty custom twin wheel axle swap for a Mk5-7 chassis cab without the diff casing bottoming out?

These are my findings...

What I gather is Merc Sprinter (Dana?) axles can be loaded with spares from America, but still they're a little narrower track than a Transit.

Pre 2000 Iveco 35 10 etc. axles are also a little narrower than the transit rear track.

Even an F350 is slightly narrower than a Transit twin axle...now I'm just being obsessive eh!
F250 F150 way too narrow and load rating not sufficient.

Anyone any info on a wide track load rated dually axle?
My Mk5 was biodegradable and disintegrated with time.
Ford. Committed to the Environment

Finally entered the 21st Century and bought a MK7. Oh Dear.
ginsambo
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby County4x4 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:40 pm

ginsambo wrote:Anyone have any info on a heavy duty custom twin wheel axle swap for a Mk5-7 chassis cab without the diff casing bottoming out?
What I gather is Merc Sprinter (Dana?) axles can be loaded with spares from America, but still they're a little narrower track than a Transit..
Even an F350 is slightly narrower than a Transit twin axle...now I'm just being obsessive eh!
F250 F150 way too narrow and load rating not sufficient.
Anyone any info on a wide track load rated dually axle?

ginsambo
With the diff hitting the chassis, sounds like stiffer and/or longer(leaf/coil) springs and/or a lift. How much narrower are the 350 axles ? With loads of sites in the US covering 4x4 mods and Dana you might get some feedback there. Rich at Complete Off Road was really helpful, even if yours ins't 4x4 they all have rear axles.
Having said that I'm not trying to teach granny to suck eggs.

Finally got the quotes to work. . . .
:( :oops:
County4x4
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jamesl » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:38 pm

Luke wrote:Rolo's idea - look here for origanal post!!!!

We need to compile a usefull information thread on rear axles - what fits what and whats on what!!! :D

I think it will take more than 1 person to do this so add as much info in this here in this thread and i will sort it all out to one post!! :D

make sure you use the mk or the year so we know what were talking about!! look here to find which mk is which!!!! :D and also state if its SWB or LWB single or twin your talking about!!!! :D

so basically post any info you have on rear axles here :lol:

Thanks for teh link I am also after this information.

James
jamesl

Postby conrod » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:08 am

Heres one I have recently bought for my Mk1 LWB. It is a "hybrid" axle made by welding the axle tubes, complete with brakes from the Transit into a Ford 9" centre section. The axles/shafts are stock Transit items, and I am guessing the side gears must be custom made to accomodate the Transit splines.( I will pull it apart when I change the CWP and have a look)

This gives a bomb proof rear end, with endless choice of ratios and LSD's etc. :D

conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby peaktboo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:11 pm

Thanks to info i got on this site to understand on my transit specs ; mk5 1999 190l ,engine ED 2.5 TD 115PS, INTERCOOLER
TRANSMISSION MT75 5SPEED WIDE RATIO 4.17,
REAR AXLE TYPE 51a HEAVY SAILSBURY (LESS LSD)
DIFF RATIO 4.63
single wheel rear on 15" rims.
BODY Hi CUBE EXTENDED FRAME, EX MOD AMBULANCE.
Theres the info high spec i think what performance was this set up for with the gearing, any body let me know who under stands the ins and outs of it all?
peaktboo

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Problems & Questions