*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Starting problems!

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: Starting problems!

Postby ake » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:22 am

The solenoid costa around £250, and takes a few hours to fit, however in the long run its probably cheaper than constantly replacing starters :!:
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby safetymatman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:57 am

New battery i this morning in the freezing cold and so far so good.

New starter motor and battery for christmas - what else can go wrong!

Thankyou again for all your advice and help

Happy Christmas to all!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
safetymatman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby johnz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:12 am

got 05 swb 85T260 aprox 97000k starter motor seied up took it off water came out of it one thing is leading to another problem first fuel filter put new one on air lock thought it was clear run it for 6 hours out side turn it off didnot start air in system brought hand primer tow started it went first time went to work next day fine all the way from kildare to donabate left 3 hours eariy in case it stoppede and i can call out the miss to tow me off the road to some where safe and take me to work was nice and early that day for work finished work 10 hours went to van no go air again primed it up and it started drove home fine parked up next morning starter made a loud noise and thats it took it off to day water came out tried it on floor kicks in wont spin turn with screw driver stuck at first but seied need new one why cant thay leve new cars and vans like they was 20 years ago all this modern stuff is a con years ago when i was fitting and on recovery road side repairs was like 99.9 per cent got going now its the other way round after this starter motor god knows what eles will play up next
johnz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:21 am

air in system even fords say do your best and tow the dam thing until it fires up thay say ford part hand primer pump for ford trasit 05 onwards 180 plus vat euros brought primer with pipes 17euro works well gets the dam air out but still have to tow the thing to start it the wife getting good at towing me now was about 5 times a week she evens get the rope ready for me now van has to go when it can start and run on it own who will end up with it nobody knows maybe you ??????????????????????
johnz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby winterheating » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:07 am

safetymatman wrote:New battery i this morning in the freezing cold and so far so good.

New starter motor and battery for christmas - what else can go wrong!

Thankyou again for all your advice and help

Happy Christmas to all!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

so are you just leaving the leaking fuel pump :?: :?:
the stater wont last long.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby winterheating » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:15 am

johnz wrote:air in system even fords say do your best and tow the dam thing until it fires up thay say ford part hand primer pump for ford trasit 05 onwards 180 plus vat euros brought primer with pipes 17euro works well gets the dam air out but still have to tow the thing to start it the wife getting good at towing me now was about 5 times a week she evens get the rope ready for me now van has to go when it can start and run on it own who will end up with it nobody knows maybe you ??????????????????????

if theres water in starter, need to sort the leak out or the van will never start if left leaking coolant. prob water pump leaking.

the easiest way to get air out is to remove filter an fill with fresh diesel, crank for 5 seconds no more, fill filter again crank 5 seconds.... then it will eventually start, the air collects in the filter, air at high pressure side of pump will be pushed out pretty easily through injectors.
thats if it is air thats the problem.

common places for air to get in fuel is connections on top of fuel tank and filter housing.

think of the positioning of the starter as a warning position for fuel leak or coolant leaks :lol:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby safetymatman » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:16 pm

Excuse my rudeness I never replied regarding my leak!

Battery and starter are as before and the van starts first time every time so all ok.

The leak baffles me a little as it is very imtermittent. If I leave the van with at least a half full tank of fuel the leak stops and seems to only start when I run the van very low. I admit to being the type who runs the van on fumes before filling up and even then I rarely fill up very muchso its interesting that the leak 'stops' whne the tank is over half full.

I am going to monitor it and if it needs done I will get it sorted in the summer.

Another oddity is the whining noise which comes from the front off side wheel. I thought it was a wheel bearing as the noise increases as you move the wheel in one direction however has never really increased over the last 3 months.

I had it looked at and one garage reckons its a bearing and another reckons its a drive shaft however I thought if it was a drive shaft it would either run or not.

Anyway I got the drive shafts greased up and will run it for now as it doesnt seem to be getting any worse altho it will need sorted - could it be anything else tho?

More dumb questions - sorry!
safetymatman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Technical Problems & Questions