*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Random engine cutting out

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: Random engine cutting out

Postby KevofCov » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:30 pm

Thanks grumpy

I too have appeared to have resolved the problem!!!!

The first and only thing I have done is remove and clean the engine to body earth strap. (I also reached up and felt only, the wires running above the starter motor)

I've held fire as long as can just to be sure but this appears to have done it :D

Kev
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby jay » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:56 pm

that wire thats rubbed through goes to the glow plugs..Mines a bit rubbed through as well so u have taped a bit of rubber hose over the cable..
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Grumpy ol' man » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:36 am

jay wrote:that wire thats rubbed through goes to the glow plugs..

Thanks Jay, I wondered what it was. All seems fine with mine too, funny how it affected the running of the engine as it wasn't touching anything conductive. Now all I've got to do is sort out all the gunk in the manifold that I discovered when taking it apart.
I drive a T350 LWB MR mk7 for work and a T260 SWB LR mk6 for pleasure, (who doesn't?) S-type 3.0 and a 1959 Norton Dominator. http://www.structural-element.co.uk/
Grumpy ol' man
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby rogerw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:29 am

[/quote]

you must have had a small battery :?: orwas it a holder for 2 batteries :?:[/quote]

no not really the battery was shorting out to the underside of seat that's all. Did it on sleeping policemen (bumps in the rd). Very dangerous too as he says, on a highway.
rogerw
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jay » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:51 pm

there should be a plastic cover over the battery that will stop that happening
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby johnz » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:23 am

Grumpy ol' man wrote:Right, mines been running ok now for two days since I had variouse bits off and on. I only found one thing obviously wrong which was the trapped and worn wire
(circled middle right of picture,) between the top of the intake manifold and bottom of the
air intake resonator, (box that has Dura Torq on it.) I haven't found
out what it's for yet as I've been too busy to check but after repairing it and moving it to
the side, the van has been fine since, touch wood.

mines been running ok at last has been good as gold cant belive the garage said to me it was fuel pump it had me going for a while after filter back leak valve was blocked on pump and cleaned out egr and inlet man and in the end it was water thermo stat whould have gone mad iof i paid out to have pump done and still done the same even fords said pump and other fords said check water pump
johnz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby winterheating » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:27 am

have you put a thermostat back in yet cos without one it will never get to operating temp.
plus its more than likely the water pump is slipping, the splines strip from the pas pump that connect to the water pump.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby KevofCov » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:45 pm

Just a quick update.
Everythings been fine for a while but then bugger me it started doing it again - cutting out but would restart if tried.
I realised that the fuel filter was way way overdue for change. Problem solved!!!!!
Hugs and kisses Kev xxx
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby KevofCov » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi
its now six months later and all has been fine until last week. The radom cutting out started again, exactly as before :(
I swopped the fuel filter for a new one and all is fine again. The brand was Wix and both filters were brought at the same time, bad batch?
Kev x
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ronandkate » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi Kev

Did the new fuel filter sort your problem - we've got same thing going on....

Cheers

Ron & Kate
ronandkate
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby KevofCov » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:29 am

Yep it did. I am fully expecting the fault to reoccur around xmas. I will be straight down to the Stealers and get a genuine replacement this time to see if that helps....

Kev
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby KevofCov » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:27 am

Hi all

bugger me its gone again after another few thousand miles of sweet running. Wasnt driving but am told it just cut out on the M6. Now it will turn over and either run for a short while or not start at all. I'm down the stealers for a genuine filter this morn - watch this space

Kev
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ronandkate » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:50 am

Hi there

Did you see our pm from a couple of weeks go? We solved problem ourselves (new filter did nothing) - it was the wire loom running from diesel pump and travels around back of starter motor. It gets rubbed on back of starter and the wires can be eroded. This is what we found (just put some tape around the bared wire and pull it away from the starter and has run fine for 350km when before it was breaking down every few metres in the end! Worth a quick look - just get under van at front , find the pump and you'll see the bunch of wires covered with fabric type casing.

Here's the link from the posting that alerted us to the problem:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39393&p=359007&hilit=pump+wiring#p359007

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Kate & Ron
ronandkate
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby KevofCov » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:42 am

Hi Kate /Ron

Its now Sept 2010 and this is turning into a blog. Yes my wires were rubbed through where they pass over the starter motor! The problem has now gone :D Time will tell. Ive sold the van now but its to somebody I know so what this space....

Kev x
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ronandkate » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:13 am

Hi Kev

That's great news! It's a great feeling to find the problem isn't it? Shame we didn't look at the forum before we spent heavy at the garage for nothing.

We've done about 1000 miles now without a problem so we're assuming it's cured and we've gone from saying we'll sell the bloody thing to we'll keep it forever! Your mate got a good deal!

Did you get another transit?

Cheers and "au revoir"

Kate & Ron
ronandkate
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Problems & Questions