*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 Starter Motor on SMF

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk6 Starter Motor on SMF

Postby James_Currie » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:23 pm

Hi Guys, some help needed :)

I have fittted (2mnths ago) a Solid Mass Flywheel Kit on my ex RAC Mk6 (52) SWB RWD 2.4TDi due to DMF failing and killing 2 starter motors!

I fitted SMF & clutch kit, new slave cylinder and new starter motor, cleaned the bell housing out of all DMF dust - looks brand new :) and clutch feels brand new too :D

BUT 1 PROBLEM! :evil:

my starter motor is making a whining/grinding noise when trying to start engine :twisted:

most times it starts first time no problem, but there's times (gettin more frequent in past week) when it can take 2-10 times to start, this is when the whining/grinding nosie happens.

It's not the sound that the DMF dust causes (I found this made a different whining/high pitch nosie after the engine had started - gear on starter motor not returing quick enough, or somethin like that)........This sounds like the start motor gear isn't engaging on the ring gear and grinding the teeth! :( in a way it sounds like the gear is spining to quick to locate on the ring gear :?

Any Idea's on what it causing this? :?

I have not had chance to take starter motor off yet (due to snow) to check the teeth on both gears, but I was told when I bought the starter motor that the SMF kill start motors by smashing the heads (gear) :shock: is this true? :?

any help would be much apriciated :D

Cheers
James
ex RAC (52), T330 90, SWB, RWD, 2.4TDi
Tinted Windows,Apline Head Unit,2x JBL GTO 12" Subs,Amp & 6x9,Power Capacitor,220ah Aux Battery (50kg!),10.4" in-dash touch screen- 1.5Ghz Windows XP Pro,3G,Bluetooth & DVD Player :)
James_Currie

Re: Mk6 Starter Motor on SMF

Postby ake » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:12 am

The starter pinion may need some grease on it, its sounds as if its dry and struggling to engage
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby winterheating » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:08 pm

were was the starter from :?: , could be a crap one.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby James_Currie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:03 pm

Hey guys, thanx for the replys, much apriciated :)

sorry about the late reply, I have been on holiday :D was planning on taking starter motor off when I got back but it's snowed again! :!:

ake wrote:The starter pinion may need some grease on it, its sounds as if its dry and struggling to engage

cheers for this reply as I do recall the starter pinion dry/having no grease on it when I bought it, I will try this when I get time :D I will let you know my results

winterheating wrote:were was the starter from :?: , could be a crap one.

I got it from MANCHESTER AUTO ELECTRICAL LTD in Salford which I found through ebay......BRAND NEW = £60, which I though it very cheap as I paid £125 for my previous starter motor from my local Parts Shop :? I picked it up as I live near Manchester and it was them who told me about SMF smashing the heads of the pinion gear :shock:
it could be a crap one but my previous starter motor did the same thing (reason why I bought new one as I thought it was the DMF dust :? ) but there again my previous starter motor could have been crap, but I had no trouble with starting the DMF :?

Could it be a problem with SMF? or the ring gear?

I bought the conversion kit of TRANSITPARTSUK again through ebay cost £172.45 (inc P&P) could this be a crap one? I remeber seeing VALEO (which I understand are a good aftermarket) stamped into the release arm but that was it :? apart from the starter motor I have no other trouble with the SMF i.e no excesive vibrations, etc which I have heard and read that people encounter when switching from DMF :)
ex RAC (52), T330 90, SWB, RWD, 2.4TDi
Tinted Windows,Apline Head Unit,2x JBL GTO 12" Subs,Amp & 6x9,Power Capacitor,220ah Aux Battery (50kg!),10.4" in-dash touch screen- 1.5Ghz Windows XP Pro,3G,Bluetooth & DVD Player :)
James_Currie

Postby Pete33 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:07 pm

what happened? iv got exaclty the same symtoms after changing mine to the smf!
Pete33

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:25 am

Pete33 wrote:what happened? iv got exaclty the same symtoms after changing mine to the smf!

Ummm.....this thread is 7-1/2 years old..! Doubt the OP will still be around..!

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby wilks » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:00 pm

REf my MK6 2.4 RWD 2005yr ...

I know this is a old thread but i'm having the same problem, changed to SMF approx 2 yrs ago and have changed starter motor 3 times, so the clutch was done 2 yrs ago with a SMF fitted.

I checked when I re-placed the starter a few days ago and the teeth on the ring wheel are a third was across on some teeth missing, half ground down.
Starter sometimes engages/sometimes not and can here the grinding unconnecting sound. Just orderd another ring gear but saw the thread and thought i would ask why his is happening, if it doesnt start I rock the van in 2nd gear and it must shunt the flywheel and it starts.

The starters have come from Schmitz Rotary Engineering nr B/ham and when i check the teeth seem to be ok, a bit more play in the shaft on the old one..paid approx £60.

Unless the starter I bought when this first happend approx 2yrs ago caused this when starter died, it could have been the starter then that knackerd the ringwheel from another supplier but can't check that as I don't have it as its nearly two years ago. basicly i kept repalacing the starter thinking it was that.

Maybe with a new ring gear fitted next week with the new starter it might sort itself out??

How long should it take to dissmantle and re-build a ring gear /heating up and placing new gear and re-build

Any ideas on any of above??

Cheers
Wilks
wilks
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:22 am

wilks wrote:REf my MK6 2.4 RWD 2005yr ...

Maybe with a new ring gear fitted next week with the new starter it might sort itself out??

How long should it take to dissmantle and re-build a ring gear /heating up and placing new gear and re-build

Any ideas on any of above??

Cheers
Wilks

Didn't know the ring gear was available separately..?? Where did you get it from??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions