*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Manual gearbox conversion

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Manual gearbox conversion

Postby fumbduck » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:27 am

I'm at this stage only contemplating to do a conversion from (not so) smartshift to manual but would like to hear from other (more experienced) members before deciding.
I have an MK6 2004 Transit 2.4 TD with smartshift.
Obviously I'd have to get the gearbox and clutch but what else would be required partswise?
Is it a simple reprogram of the ECU or would I need an ECU of an manual van aswell?
Same driveshaft or shorter/ longer?
I've already contacted a company here that does them but they charge about the same as what the van is worth (around $10.000AU) and that's beyond my budget.
Like I said I'm only contemplating it at this stage but any advice appreciated.
Also would the newer 6 speed manual box out of a MK7 fit or are they way different?

cheers fumbduck
2004 VH Transit 125-330 ex postie van
fumbduck
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Manual gearbox conversion

Postby toodamngood » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:32 pm

hi when you say "smartshift" do you mean the van has the Ford ASM system(semi auto set up),if so there should be a tsb about converting it back to a manual
toodamngood
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mobilevanman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:57 pm

u will need gearbox clutch kit flywheel and slave cylinder and hydraulic pipe would all fit without reprograming

tony
why not if u dont someone will
mobilevanman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby fumbduck » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:41 pm

toodamngood wrote:hi when you say "smartshift" do you mean the van has the Ford ASM system(semi auto set up),if so there should be a tsb about converting it back to a manual

Yeah that's it mate, the ASM semi auto shift .
Excuse my ignorance but what does tsb stand for and where could I find that?
fumbduck
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby fumbduck » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:54 pm

mobilevanman wrote:u will need gearbox clutch kit flywheel and slave cylinder and hydraulic pipe would all fit without reprograming

tony

Cheers tony, I forgot to mention the clutch pedal and gearstick (> not sure if the whole dash needs to be changed over aswell?). Would they be a bitch to fit?
Have you done a conversion like this before?
fumbduck
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby toodamngood » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:10 pm

hello mate,TSB is what Ford motor companys send out for verious fixs for verious problems pop into a ford agent and ask them about it,when im back at work ill have a look through our records for this TSB
toodamngood
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby fumbduck » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:56 pm

toodamngood wrote:hello mate,TSB is what Ford motor companys send out for verious fixs for verious problems pop into a ford agent and ask them about it,when im back at work ill have a look through our records for this TSB

Cheers mate, much appreciated. So I gather TSB stands for something like Technical Service Bulletin?
It's very hard to get to talk to someone in the know at my local Ford agent. All they want you to do is make a booking and charge like a wounded bull which doesn't go to well with me being as tight as a fishes arse . lol
fumbduck
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mobilevanman » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:19 pm

hi mate yes i did 1 converstion u will need a blank for the dash and change the pedal box but it is do able i woulnt bother as the semi auto is far nicer to drive personal taste i dont want a 1000 people telling me im rite or wrong just personal taste

tony
why not if u dont someone will
mobilevanman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby silverfx » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi mobilevanman,
Is there anything needed to be done in respect of the computer, change wiring? etc?
TIA
Tom
silverfx
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby AndyG » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:15 pm

Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Transitmaninavan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:39 am

I had my Transit van converted from ASM to a full manual conversion at a place in Bayswater Melbourne called grant walker parts. I must say they did a wonderful job removing the steering wheel, buttons on the dash and installing a manual gear stick and removing the horrible asm system out. What a relief after having to spend close to $4000 3 years ago on a reconditioned pump.
Transitmaninavan

Return to Technical Problems & Questions