*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

exhaust fumes in cab

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

exhaust fumes in cab

Postby transitnz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:47 am

Hi, I've just bought a 2001 260SWB and I think there's a lot of exhaust fumes coming into the cab....I can't see any visible smoke anywhere but it smells and am getting a sore throat when driving it!! I don't think it's just when the heater is on, altho I have had it on a bit....

The van's just been MOT'd...and as I say there's no visible smoke anywhere - I noticed that the seals around the top of the rear doors are pretty perished...could it be coming in the back doors (and could i fix it maybe by just sealing up the interior of the cab!?) or are there other likely places I could easily check?

thanks!
transitnz
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: exhaust fumes in cab

Postby AlanN » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:31 pm

Need to get those seals changed, fumes roll behind the van :( No smoke from the breather cap or anything like that? could be sucked into your vents at the top of the bonnet
Ford Transit MK3 1989 2.8i V6 Auto Member of the MK3 Massive

R.I.P Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby kerker21 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:35 pm

i had that problem a few months back and suspected the doors so i taped them up still stunk in the cab i checked the exhaust i checked everything no gaps anywhere then a small exhaust blowing noise appeared but no holes in the exhaust , thaught i was going mad as i took it to ATS and thay couldnt find anything wrong with it , then one day a lot of noise i tracked it doen to a small hole in the EGR pipe just as it comes of the back of the engine fitted a new one hay presto no fumes in the cab at all , its dificult to spot as the EGR pipe is covered in a heat proof mesh it drove me bonkers for weeks trying to track it down .
good hunting john...
kerker21
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby transitnz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:58 am

hi - yes indeed it was the back doors. Not so much the seals at the top, but noticed some gaps at the bottom where something's obviously been dented.

Might be somewhat unorthodox but some stick on "draught excluder" from HomeBase worked a treat.....even if I did double and even triple it up where the biggest gap was.

Thanks for all the help!
transitnz
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby AlanN » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:10 am

Good to see you got it sorted
Ford Transit MK3 1989 2.8i V6 Auto Member of the MK3 Massive

R.I.P Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby THEMADHOME » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:49 pm

Hi. Although this question was posted some time ago, hopefully this may help anyone else searching answers for the same question. While driving and sitting my brand new 2016 UK ford transit only 700 miles, after experiencing fumes causing headaches and chest pain, I have just been informed by my company's mechanic probably caused by the battery under the seat overcharging (@15Volts when tested) causing battery over heat giving off TOXIC fumes that aren’t being vented out properly. He said overcharging more likely caused by a defective regulator on the alternator. FORD HAS NOW ASKED FOR THE VAN BACK IMEDIATLEY.
Now awaiting official report
THEMADHOME

Postby TheseFumes » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:24 am

THEMADHOME wrote:Hi. Although this question was posted some time ago, hopefully this may help anyone else searching answers for the same question. While driving and sitting my brand new 2016 UK ford transit only 700 miles, after experiencing fumes causing headaches and chest pain, I have just been informed by my company's mechanic probably caused by the battery under the seat overcharging (@15Volts when tested) causing battery over heat giving off TOXIC fumes that aren’t being vented out properly. He said overcharging more likely caused by a defective regulator on the alternator. FORD HAS NOW ASKED FOR THE VAN BACK IMEDIATLEY.
Now awaiting official report

Hi please can I ask if you received a report. We have a 2016 Ford transi wheelchair accessible van. We have had similar issues. There’s 20k on the clock but for the past 9 months the van has intermittently and randomly filled with toxic fumes.
No one seems to no why, the battery was suggested but we were told it was unlikely and the only other thing recently was the DOF filter 95% blocked. I’ve just bought a carbon monoxide detector to see if it shows anything.
Motability who own the vehicle have agreed to take it back but we need to find a replacement first. I’m worried it’s nit safe to drive at all.. thank you
TheseFumes

Return to Technical Problems & Questions