*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Van Hunting Under Load

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Van Hunting Under Load

Postby danwatson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:53 am

Hi guys,
I have a 04 350 MWB with the 2.4 duratorque engine in it. It has now done 100,000 miles.
The engine has started to hunt/surge at 2500 revs and is very sluggish on aceleration and struggles to get over 3000rpm.
When it is running idle the fault is not apparent, it revs high and fast as it always has.
The mechanic in the workshop next to me serviced the van just before i started to have probs.
I have checked acc and clutch pedals, changed the fuel filter again and added injector cleaner.
Diagnostics show no fault codes.
Please please please can someone help me as its driving me nuts now. :evil:
danwatson

Re: Van Hunting Under Load

Postby GPM01 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:04 pm

Did you use a genuine Ford fuel filter, as I found my Mk6 didn't run very well on the aftermarket types?
If you want a real van.......You gotta get a Transit!!!!
GPM01
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby danwatson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:01 pm

no, i used a unipart filter, spoke to someone today who said the egr valve could be jamed open because he could hear a low humming noise. Will clean the valve, then fit the proper ford filter.
danwatson

Postby jay » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:23 pm

GPM01 wrote:Did you use a genuine Ford fuel filter, as I found my Mk6 didn't run very well on the aftermarket types?

gen ford is usually just the same filter just with ford stamped on it (motorcraft is usually what ford use with just ford logo on them) as long as the filter is a good make and unipart is a good type(been using the filters from them(before they was called partco)and never had a problem.. just blank off the egr valve and see if it has cured it.. I doubt the filter is at fault either..but might be a idea to check you fitted it correctly as if fitted wrong it will draw in air.
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby danwatson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:27 pm

well, cleaned out egr, couldnt believe how much cr*p was in there. it was like shoe polish in the tin!! didnt cure the prob though, put diagnostics on again and got two faults. 110 (air flow) and 235 (MAP sensor). disconnected wireing from the air flow meter and tried the van, it didnt hunt at all, was really sluggish to reach 2500rpm but great after that. Had a spare sensor so put that on, connected wire and it was hunting again. gutted. dont know what to check next
:x
danwatson

Postby taz666 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:47 pm

could be the wastegate rod on the turbo has siezed or the vacuum pipe to the wastegate is split or detatched, or blocked air filter
taz666
Ford Technician

Postby danwatson » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:42 pm

thanks taz, the wastegate moves with a lever but is very stiff, how tight should this be????? no splits in pipes and new air filter, still got map senser discommected so driving in limp mode. Had enough of the kangerooing!!! :)
danwatson

Postby taz666 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:04 am

it should be a little stiff, however if you take the pipe off the wastegate vacuum actuator and i think its either pull a vacuum or supply pressure to the actuator and see if the rod moves, if you cant pull a vacuum or pressurerise it then i would say the actuators goosed but you can only get it complete on a ford turbo but may be able to find one at a scrappy, another thing have you done a boost test on it, transit turbos produce about 0.7 bar boost
taz666
Ford Technician

Postby winterheating » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:23 am

danwatson wrote:well, cleaned out egr, couldnt believe how much cr*p was in there. it was like shoe polish in the tin!! didnt cure the prob though, put diagnostics on again and got two faults. 110 (air flow) and 235 (MAP sensor). disconnected wireing from the air flow meter and tried the van, it didnt hunt at all, was really sluggish to reach 2500rpm but great after that. Had a spare sensor so put that on, connected wire and it was hunting again. gutted. dont know what to check next
:x

Air flow :?: :?:
What power engine :?:
do you have a 6 speed box :?: :?: :?: :?:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby shebdon1 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:21 pm

got exactly the same problem with one of our vans, did you cure the problem ?
shebdon1

Return to Technical Problems & Questions