Ford Fair 2014 - click here for details of the forum's stand!


ford transit, loss of power

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

ford transit, loss of power

Postby robjm » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:01 pm

Hi all,
I have a 55plate jumbo 135/350 tdci, six speed, the van was running fine until last week, when I noticed that when I was driving on motorway I accelerated quite hard to overtake someone, a puff of black smoke came out of the back and also a loud noise like a blast of air was noticeable from under the bonnet, like someone turning the heater blower on full,( it would stop if i took foot off the gas) since then every time i accelerate this what i can only describe as a blast of air happens, mainly at higher speeds, seems to be ok around town unless I need to pull away quickly, then same noise and puff of black smoke,
it doesnt smoke on normal running just that first accleration, someone has suggested it may be the egr valve and someone else said it may be the viscose fan and fan assembly which appears to be a little loose not too bad though.
before I start laying out my hard earned cash, just wodered if any of you guys had any similar experiences, any help at all would be greatly appreciated :D ,
many thanks for taking the time to look at this post.
robjm
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:04 am
Location: Liverpool

Re: ford transit, loss of power

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:36 pm

Does the glowplug light come on?

I would have a look at the turbo pipework
Transit 120 Turbo'd DI Manual. 1/4 in a smooth and leisurely 18.82s. Now where's these faster Automatic Di s?

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
User avatar
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 16303
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:53 pm
Location: Church Stretton

Re: ford transit, loss of power

Postby robjm » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:59 pm

MinorMatt wrote:Does the glowplug light come on?

I would have a look at the turbo pipework



#hi thanks for quick reply,
the glowplug light comes on when ignition turned on but go's out when engine starts,
I will check turbo pipework and get back to you
thanks again
robjm
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:04 am
Location: Liverpool

Re: ford transit, loss of power

Postby robjm » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:16 pm

robjm wrote:
MinorMatt wrote:Does the glowplug light come on?

I would have a look at the turbo pipework



#hi thanks for quick reply,
the glowplug light comes on when ignition turned on but go's out when engine starts,
I will check turbo pipework and get back to you
thanks again


Just had a quick look at turbo pipework, all seems to be ok, mind you I'm no mechanic, but all seemed ok.
thanks
robjm
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:04 am
Location: Liverpool

Re: ford transit, loss of power

Postby taz666 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:57 pm

have a good look at the hose that comes up from the intercooler to the egr valve, about 2-6 inches down from the egr valve have a good feel around the pipe and check for a split, had loads do it, or take the pipe off and check it
taz666
Ford Technician
 
Posts: 3311
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:56 pm
Location: in a wibbly wobbly world of my own

Re: ford transit, loss of power

Postby robjm » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:59 am

taz666 wrote:have a good look at the hose that comes up from the intercooler to the egr valve, about 2-6 inches down from the egr valve have a good feel around the pipe and check for a split, had loads do it, or take the pipe off and check it




Hi, Thanks for info,
I have checked all hoses and pipes this morning, no splits :| , any other Ideas?,
thanks very much for your reply
robjm
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:04 am
Location: Liverpool

Re: ford transit, loss of power

Postby snakey » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:10 pm

Check the Inlet Manifold. Mine split on the outer seam and made loud induction roar on hard accelleration. Had someone rev it while I felt around manifold. Flat broke at time so I did temp repair with superglue on face and drilled to fit very small screws and nuts.
snakey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Wirral

Re: ford transit, loss of power

Postby robjm » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:16 pm

snakey wrote:Check the Inlet Manifold. Mine split on the outer seam and made loud induction roar on hard accelleration. Had someone rev it while I felt around manifold. Flat broke at time so I did temp repair with superglue on face and drilled to fit very small screws and nuts.



thanks very much to all who have helped me :D :D :D , turns out it was 2 thing's wrong, split in turbo pipe ( thanks minormatt) and small split in inlet manifold, (thanks snakey) I could not see the split in turbo pipe because its at the back of engine :( :( , and split in manifold was found by having a friend rev while I felt for leaks, have ordered new turbo pipe which I will fit tomorrow, ( or more than likely, "my mate will") and have used some gun gum on small split which will hold (I hope) until I can get it sorted,
Once again thanks to everyone who has replied to my problem, couldn't have done it without you guy's
robjm
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:04 am
Location: Liverpool


Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]