*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit cuts out at any speed under load.

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Transit cuts out at any speed under load.

Postby PeterTourneo04 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Help to solve my puzzle and wallet please.
I have a Transit Tourneo 2litre diesel 2004reg that starts perfectly in the 7 months that I have owned her, does not smoke, revs up easily to K4 in the garage, has 154K on the clock but
freaks out when I put my foot down to overtake and the engine stops/dies and I have to start it again while on the move. I have to drive it like a Grandad with slow gentle pressure on the accelerator.
Mechanics have changed the main fuel filter and holder, changed the Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve on the end of the Rail, connected their analysers under the steering wheel which sometimes shows a P0251 and recently a P1211 reading and another reading which I will get tomorrow from a bigger analyzing kit to update this puzzle.My 1st Transit is trying to be a nightmare - can an expert help please?
PeterTourneo04

Re: Transit cuts out at any speed under load.

Postby jay » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:55 pm

could be water pump slipping on the splines or cylinder head temp sensor.. does the heater get hot when it starts to cut out?
get the codes reset and take it for a thrash then get them reread post the numbers up.
sure p0251 and p1211 is low fuel pressure..I would also get the fuel filter checked as it also could be drawing in air which can get these codes
someone had same codes here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55847
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby KH_Towbars » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:56 pm

PeterTourneo04 wrote:Help to solve my puzzle and wallet please.
I have a Transit Tourneo 2litre diesel 2004reg that starts perfectly in the 7 months that I have owned her, does not smoke, revs up easily to K4 in the garage, has 154K on the clock but
freaks out when I put my foot down to overtake and the engine stops/dies and I have to start it again while on the move. I have to drive it like a Grandad with slow gentle pressure on the accelerator.
Mechanics have changed the main fuel filter and holder, changed the Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve on the end of the Rail, connected their analysers under the steering wheel which sometimes shows a P0251 and recently a P1211 reading and another reading which I will get tomorrow from a bigger analyzing kit to update this puzzle.My 1st Transit is trying to be a nightmare - can an expert help please?

Mine does that but only when im really p*ssed of an give it a boot, goes into limp mode, I think it the accelerator pedal as is a common fault but im not saying go & buy 1 just a suggestion - i have a new 1 ready to fit but it running ok for now so if not broke i say don't fix it lol - have had problems before goin into limp mode on tickover but since i sprayed inside the pedal with electronic contact cleaner (solvent) it has been sound, just the odd occasion now
2016 CUSTOM LIMITED LWB Shadow Black
2010 VW CADDY MAXI 1.6TDi
SOLD VW T5 102 SWB
R.I.P MK6 FWD 2.0TDDI Duratorq, EGR mod, K&N air filter, 16"alloys
KH_Towbars
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby taz666 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:11 am

to have them 2 codes i take it its a common rail 125ps? more thn likely its an injector problem, get a leak back test done to see if any injectors are leaking back too much fuel and causing loss of fuel pressure as thats what the 2 codes have detected
taz666
Ford Technician

Postby PeterTourneo04 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:52 am

Mechanics have changed the main fuel filter and holder, changed the Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve on the end of the Rail with a SECOND HAND ONE, connected their analysers under the steering wheel which sometimes shows a P0251 and recently a P1211 reading and another reading which I will get tomorrow from a bigger analyzing kit to update this puzzle.29/09/11 My 1st Transit is trying to be a nightmare - can an expert help please?
Latest reading on 29/09/11 is P1211 and P0251 and thanks Jay I will check to see if the heater gets hot although the temp gauge on dashboard stays just below half.The old waterpump seized and was replaced 3months ago.I will find and check the cylinder head temp sensor.
Thanks KH-Towbars, I sprayed the pedal connections with electronic contact cleaner and no difference.
Thanks Tazz666 will get the injectors checked for leak back. Crossing fingers.

PeterTourneo04

Postby PeterTourneo04 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:58 am

PeterTourneo04 wrote:
Mechanics have changed the main fuel filter and holder, changed the Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve on the end of the Rail with a SECOND HAND ONE, connected their analysers under the steering wheel which sometimes shows a P0251 and recently a P1211 reading and another reading which I will get tomorrow from a bigger analyzing kit to update this puzzle.29/09/11 My 1st Transit is trying to be a nightmare - can an expert help please?
Latest reading on 29/09/11 is P1211 and P0251 and thanks Jay I will check to see if the heater gets hot although the temp gauge on dashboard stays just below half.The old waterpump seized and was replaced 3months ago.I will find and check the cylinder head temp sensor.Fuel filter checked and minimal air in glass push button view chambers on fuel pipes.
Thanks KH-Towbars, I sprayed the pedal connections with electronic contact cleaner and no difference.
Thanks Tazz666 will get the injectors checked for leak back. Crossing fingers.

PeterTourneo04

Postby taz666 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:45 pm

in future dont let just anybody mess with this fuel system, it requires the utmost cleanliness and the idea of changing the fuel rail sensor with a second hand one makes me shiver, they are not meant to be changed without changing the whole fuel rail :!:, when the leak back test is done it should be run for approx 1 min to check leak back, my guess is that one or maybe 2 will leak back loads, dont just replace the ones that leak back the most, change all of them otherwise the others will fail soon after
taz666
Ford Technician

Postby PeterTourneo04 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:48 pm

Many thanks all and Tazz666 I will get the full minute testing done and let you all know later this week asap.THANKS AGAIN.
PeterTourneo04

Postby Pikeonhisbike » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:10 pm

Hello..... What was the outcome of your van? Didn't you find out the problem?...I'm haveing a simular problem... Cheers pike
Pikeonhisbike
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:36 pm

Pikeonhisbike wrote:Hello..... What was the outcome of your van? Didn't you find out the problem?...I'm haveing a simular problem... Cheers pike

Sadly, one of the many unanswered threads on here.
The OP hasn't logged on since the time of his last post, and as it was over 6 years ago, I guess he's not coming back anytime soon.

If you haven't done so already, I would start a new post detailing your problem, and see what updated information is out there :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Technical Problems & Questions