*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 gearbox bearings

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk7 gearbox bearings

Postby myvanhatesme » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:09 pm

I have a 85ps mk7 swb 260. A few garages have quoted me quite steep prices to replace my gearbox bearings as it makes a racket on idle. Can anyone reccoment someone who is a decent price and who actually knows what they are talking about to do the work in the black country area please?

Or does anyone know how difficult it is to do it myself as I have access to a lift and tools?

I'm totally sick of being dicked around by garages trying to pull my pants down. Any help appreciated please. Cheers, ad.
myvanhatesme
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk7 gearbox bearings

Postby EeEk » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:37 pm

it makes a racket on idle

Is it front wheel drive? Some front wheel drives rattle like nothing on earth.
EeEk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby myvanhatesme » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:00 pm

Yes it's a fwd.

One person says it's a DMF, one says it's solid, one says release bearing, one says gearbox bearing.

Just totally racked off with it all. I just want an honest answer from someone who actually knows what the bloody hell they are on about.
myvanhatesme
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby EeEk » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:03 pm

Front wheel drives do rattle when idling, I wouldn't bet on it but I'd go for the solid flywheel ones will be the ones with gearboxes that rattle as thats one of the reasons for having a DMF :D ..... cant really tell you without hearing it!! :shock: but....the usual rattle will not be fixed by bearings, if the gearbox is quiet when driving, no whine, rattle, then its probably fine.
The ford answer for a rattling gearbox - drain the oil and check for metal particles, if there are particles, repair box. If oil is clean, refill with new oil, no fault found, return to customer.

release bearing...probably not unless you drive with your foot on the cluch all the time
EeEk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby myvanhatesme » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Thankyou for your reply.

I went to ford and they said the same, to change the oil. So I did but no metal particles in there and sounded exactly the same as before. After looking on here I concluded it was a solid flywheel but I've got a wobble when my foot rests on the clutch but how can it if it's a solid one? Even ford said it was a solid one and they recon that the noise is the first gear bearing.

This is the first new shape I've had and I'm finding it hard to tell what is acceptable noise from it. Seems like there's a whoooshing sound coming from by the air box area so I guess that's just the air intake as it's quite big? But could it be the gearbox bearings also? It drives nice with no whining of gears and such so I'm totally lost!

Think I might get a push bike.
myvanhatesme
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby RickLeeds » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:58 pm

Does the rattle go when you depress the clutch?
RickLeeds
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby harriec » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:29 pm

I'm having exactly the same problem from my 09 110 swb. Drives fine but loud rattle in idle until you depress the clutch then it's fine. The gearbox had just been re built. May have to go back.....
harriec

Postby TheTransitCentre » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:53 pm

So we can't help? This should be a doddle for my lads. When can you drop round for a free Forum Members consultation?

You also get an honest Black Country opinion. (Whether you wanted it or not!!)

Drop me a PM or ring me Monday after 11. You'll be lucky to get through before.

Pete
Just a Newbie! Learning about Transits but I have some men who know nothing else. If you phone us just remember I'm a messenger.

www.thetransitcentre.co.uk
01384 240933 Please leave contact number. Mention this Forum or http://www.thetransitcentre.co.uk/html/contact.html
TheTransitCentre
Registered Trader
Registered Trader

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:07 pm

harriec wrote:I'm having exactly the same problem from my 09 110 swb. Drives fine but loud rattle in idle until you depress the clutch then it's fine. The gearbox had just been re built. May have to go back.....

That will just be the release bearing

init booshaka
Bing bong
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby harriec » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:20 pm

Hi, just resurrecting this post. Ive been driving the transit around with this rattle. There is now a small leak from the bell housing.(inbetween the box and engine) and im also getting a nasty whine in 5th. Garage said dmf but im not sure. Any help would be great??
harriec

Postby knobby1 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:03 pm

harriec wrote:Hi, just resurrecting this post. Ive been driving the transit around with this rattle. There is now a small leak from the bell housing.(inbetween the box and engine) and im also getting a nasty whine in 5th. Garage said dmf but im not sure. Any help would be great??

So 12 months on and you've done nothing about it..? :?

5th has a nasty whine...?? I'd be getting the box out quick smart before it leaves you stranded on the side of the road many miles from home. If there's actually oil coming from between the engine and gearbox, it's either gearbox oil from input shaft oil seal....or engine oil from the rear main oil seal. Are you sure it's oil and not clutch fluid?? If it's clutch fluid it'll be the internal clutch slave leaking.... You mentioned before that it had a SMF...?? DMF has no oil in it so it won't be from that if you have one....but they do rattle when worn though.

My guess is that the throw-out bearing was possibly on it's way 12 months ago, you mentioned you could feel it when your foot was on the clutch..!

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby sil15a » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:33 pm

Mate just book it in to get it looked at,unless your going to remove the box yourself and tackle the repair.
sil15a
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions