*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 LWB Hi Roof RWD Van to Camper in far to many steps

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Mk6 LWB Hi Roof RWD Van to Camper in far to many steps

Postby Justsomebloke » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:49 pm

So last week I purchased a lovely 51 plate LWB Hi Roof RWD Transit with 117k miles up it that I intend on turning into a Camper that I can actually fit in, I am 6ft 5 by the way. :D

After looking /watching/Bidding & losing on loads of other Transits I finally won this one & paid £1320 for it, think I won this Auction because of the location, The van was in Faversham which for anybody that knows owt about Traffic black spots knows that Faversham is at tuther end of about 5 horrible traffic black spots, **** all that I thought so I bid & won. Getting there meant going down the M1 round the M25 past the A12 turn off, Crross over the Dartford crossing then down the M2, complete **** of a journey but I didn't care I was going to get my Transit. :D

Bought the Transit off a lovely bloke a Carpenter so the Van hadn't been completely Buildered/Monstered & going by the seat & teh cab & around the Van the 117k miles seems Genuine :shock:
Started as soon as I looked at the key let alone turned it & cutting a long story short I was on my way home cruising along at a steady 60 taking it easy as she was new to me, took her up to 70 & she hums along, Van drives Mint, Got home chuffed to bits.
First pic - Love at First Sight :lol:

Right Brucie Bonus her having a window either side, Previously a Gas van or summit so she had 2 seats in the back as well both with there own seat belts built in. Nice seats to flog on. Windows have frosted glass but on a second look it's only stick on tat so once the conversion is done I'll pull it off & have some nice blinds there.

Van ran mint on the trip back & started & run sweet the next day so no time was wasted I put my LPG Focus up For Sale on Gumtree that evening, Sold it in 50 minutes, Yep 50 minutes, That's a record for me. Also sold all my fishing gear which has been laying about unused for nigh on 2 years, Took an hour & 15 mins to sell the tackle I was on a roll.
Next day my motorbike sold as well so plenty of cash about for my conversion.

First job when home was to clean clean then clean some more, Then I bought an old caravan off a mate for 180 quid.
Then I boarded the van out & installed my insulation, I used that Celotex (Sp?) White poly stuff with tough silver foil either side of it & packed it out with some loft insulation. Then I went a bit mad with the Sealant & filled every join/crack or crease I could find then finsihed off the final bits of boarding & tied it all up.
I've used the bench seats & cushions from the caravan to make my benches in the van & have sorted out the central piece to make up the bed, That's all sorted & ready to go just got to put a few eyelets along for the tie ups on the cushions.

Then I picked up a small unit for 8 quid from Wickes or B&Q & I also bought a decent kitchen unit some nice doors etc, It's for the space opposite the sliding door so I wanted a real decent piece there that looked as pro as poss. I got a 1 metre unit & a pair of nice doors, I framed the top with some spare wood & installed my 4 ring burner & sink in the top, I also have a drainer that sits nicely on top of the sink I can use to drain or as a handy work top. I intend on having my fresh water tank above the drivers head so I will get a natural gravity feed down to my sink, I'll have a pump as well obviously but no point wasting the positioning, I can have the fresh tank above & to the left & the waste directly under the sink, Even if I have no power at all I will still get a feed from the fresh tank.

Gas for the rings will come from a bottle under the bench right down back by the drivers side rear door for ease of changing bottles.
Portaloo will be on tuther side under bench by the door for the same ease of change/emptying. I am going to have a big privacy curtain that will cut off the back of the van from just behind the rear side windows, Curtain will be slid over if me or the Doris needs to use the Chunder box & for night time for a full on Black out.
Retaining boxes need making up for my Gas bottle & Chunder box.

Today I did my Lining Carpet, On my own & I'd never even seen anyone put one up let alone had a go myself before, Being honest though all this is new to me I really am making it up as I go along.
I still have the bench faces to line but I've done most of the rest & it doesn't look to bad at all really, I know I could do it a lot better next time but this was my first time doing it so I'm going to say I am pleased with how it turned out.
Overall it looks fine, Once I have kitted the rest of the van out with Blinds & stuff I'll be more than happy with how it looks.

Think that's about it for the mo but a fair Kick off post I reckon. :D

Few pics of how its going;
There is a matching sink under the drainer

Bare in mind I am a complete Noob to all of this so any advice tips & help is greatly appreciated. :D
Does this Rag smell like Chloroform to you ?
Justsomebloke
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk6 LWB Hi Roof RWD Van to Camper in far to many steps

Postby BigMonty » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:06 pm

Bloody bargain.
bloody good start. You have done more in a few weeks than i have done in a few years.
"You'll never beat a fool with logic or facts but you can demolish anyone with sincerly spoken nonsense"
BigMonty
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Justsomebloke » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:15 pm

I've done it all & am doing it all on a Main road as well. :D

That pic has just reminded me to lag/insulate/carpet under the benches. So many jobs to do this is easily the biggest project I've ever undertaken. :o
Justsomebloke
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Kedishen » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:31 am

Looking good so far. Nice colour too, should fit in at the local layby well.

Whats your plans for the future? Can't help notice you sold all your wordly possession.
Livin' in me van in Portugal.

'93 Mk4 TD 150L Hitop Custom Camper
100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Justsomebloke » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:24 am

Kedishen wrote:Whats your plans for the future? Can't help notice you sold all your wordly possession.

Well the whole project revolves around me wanting more quality time with my Grand kids, Living alone with my dog Frank my visits down South are restricted by how long I will leave Frank on his own, I've always thought it fair to leave him for 5-6 hours but no more than that.
It takes me 2 hours & 5 mins to get to my Daughter/Grandkids so I'm only left with a couple of hours play time with the kids. Frank is 13 now so I won't have him much longer & my Doris has been dropping in to Dog sit over the years but she has had Cancer twice before & has just got it back again. :cry:
Her health is up & down quite badly at times so it's hard to plan anything but we also just don't want to sit about moaning.

So the Camper idea goes, I load up the Van & go & find a nice place to plot up for a night or two & my Doris can manage to drive her little motor to come find me & whilst out in the Van she won't have to do anything just sit there & enjoy.

Also I can load up the Van with Me & Frank go down my Daughter/Grandkids & have some quality time with them, Crash in the Camper then get up & have the morning with them as well.

My Doris is not up to much physically at the mo but mentally she is still as active as ever, She'll be able to sit in her little deck chair & still be fully involved in the Trip out.
I'm going to get her a Kindle HD & she'll be happy as Larry reading the Classic whilst I make fire & Burn things. :lol:

Will be awesome to see my Grandkids without the Clock hanging over the visit. 8)
Justsomebloke
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby glider » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:39 pm

Nice looking van, you did well. Can I suggest that you might want to rethink putting the water tank above the drivers head for a couple of reasons;
1. Unless you have a tiny tank it will be a pain to lift up into position or you will have to fill it from a second, smaller tank and then you've got the problem of how to get at it from above.
2. Having that weight up high,(1kg/litre), will not be ideal for handling.
3. You've got the problem of running pipe work over the door and past the rear window.
On my high top I've got the tank by the back door, (only have to lift to knee height), and a drop in pump (£10). I keep a spare pump in the box of bits I always take away but only had to use it after letting the old one freeze up one winter! If you're worried about the battery fill a 2 litre bottle as a standby.
glider
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Kedishen » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:39 pm

Basically I said the same as glider, but I am post whoring so :F

When I was in my last van I put 3 x 5litre bottles of fresh water in the area above cab... Even with high centre of gravity pack fitted to van you could really feel the difference... Even though it wasn't bad, made cornering feel hairy!

Maybe the location is fine when you are parked, but I can't recommend it when moving.

For the gravity fed taps... You would have to remove pipe from pump (no electric, no water) and give the tap mouth to mouth to get it going. You could acheive the same thing by placing the water container on kitchen units and having a 2nd lid with tap built in.

But unless you are worried about having left your laptop on for too long and have no water in middle of night, u needn't worry. Those pumps pull barely anything electric wise since how often you use for for more than a few seconds anyway?

100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Justsomebloke » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:18 pm

I agree with you both on both points & will mount my water tank under the bench drivers side which is tuher side to the Derv tank, Should help with balance, as you say power draw will be minimal so why not use a pump. 8)
Justsomebloke
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:44 am

Justsomebloke wrote:I agree with you both on both points & will mount my water tank under the bench drivers side which is tuher side to the Derv tank, Should help with balance, as you say power draw will be minimal so why not use a pump. 8)

The whale pumps are dirt cheap anyway, and they make life much easier :)
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Justsomebloke » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:51 pm

Just been sat writing out my list of jobs to do to Finish, When I say finish I mean finish enough for usage, I don't think I will actually finish it properly for a fair few months, I'm going to get what's needed for me to use the van & have that done by end of week, Sunday.
Then I can use the van to get my more frequent & longer visits with my Grand-kids & in use I'll know what other bits are a priority & which I can leave & do through winter.

Had a run down to the Kids today which took 4 & a half hours to get there instead of the usual 2 hours 5 mins, M1 had been closed over night so all the South bound traffic had shifted to the A14 dual carriage way which can't take the normal traffic let alone the extra, Rain storms were torrential as well which made me so glad I run a big van.
Arm rest down tunes on & cruise mode engaged to avoid getting drawn into the Rage of Doom. :lol:

It'll be head down arse up now till I get the van to a usable state then I am going to get as many nights out as I can before my Frank staffy dog refuses to go out in the Cold. :mrgreen:
Justsomebloke
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Justsomebloke » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:56 pm

I've been doing loads of little bits that you only notice when they are not done. :roll:

One thing else though I got nicked for speeding :shock: My daughter & Grand kids live a 2 hour 5 minute drive away from me & I have done the journey in all sorts of motors & even big motorbikes but the one time I get pinched for speeding is in my Transit :lol:

I'm laughing now but I weren't when I opened the Police letter tuther day. :oops: Am hoping I get the chance to do a SAC test/day thing ??? Not had points for over 15 years easy be a bummer to lose my clean license over this.

Was doing 46mph in a 40mph Temporary speed limit on the A14 which is normally a 60. :?

Really hope I can avoid getting any points.
Justsomebloke
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Kedishen » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:17 pm

Was the speed camera a flash cam or an average speed camera?

Appeal and request proof in photographic form because [insert plausible reason here] you are "not certain of who was driving at the time".

Also check the date that letter is postmarked and if it is more than 14 days after the 'incident' then they have no legal right to prosecute you.

You are also entitled to request a calibration certificate of the camera in, question, to check that it's been maintained and was working properly. If they cannot supply it, they cannot prove you were speeding.

Good luck :D

100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Justsomebloke » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:04 pm

I already filled the form out & sent it off hoping for a SAC thing, Bang to rights I s'pose & considering I have done the journey hundreds & I mean hundreds of times over the 20 years I've been up in the Midlands I've not done bad even if I do end up with points & a fine.
Am gutted obviously to be caught doing 46 in a Temporary 40 on a road that is normally 60 but being fair they will just say the restrictions are for the workmen that may or may not have been there.
I've always taken my punishment when due, It's my own stupid fault & as the day went it finishes off the way it started.
Took me 4 & a half hours to get down there that day instead of the usual 2 hours 5 mins, M1 had been shut that night which shifted traffic to the A14 on top of that the rain was torrential.
Coming home was actually a nice mellow run back without much traffic & making good time, Kin temp limit caught me out I s'pose so hands up & just wish for one of those Safety courses instead of points.
Justsomebloke
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Justsomebloke » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:56 pm

So I'm pulling the last bits together so I can get out for a night here & there in this good weather that's s'posed to be coming. :D

Loo & Table bits & bobs & maybe half a dozen other bits & bobs I will need. It will be a Bobby basic first night out but I'm pretty sure I can make myself comfortable with what I will have by the end of the week.
Can't wait for my bits & bobs to arrive as it's the last little bits that are the fun bit, Got a nice camping set of pans, nice kit of cutlery that sort of thing.
Also ordered a nice big dog cage as I don't want my Frank staffy dog bouncing around the van when I'm driving or owt. Will also be well handy on sites & when I am popping in somewhere for supplys. Got a nice big one so he''ll be as cozy as me. 8)
Most of the stuff I've been getting off Amazon as it's an easy 1 stop shop & finding stuff elsewhere is a right grind, At least with Amazon I can get just about everything without having to hunt each individual item out in one shop after another. I used the caravan shop online as well, Bloke was well patient with me on the phone.
So that's it really, Wait for my parcels, put in everything I ordered into the van, Sort & tody up, Load up with Water, Food & Stuff, Hit the Road. :D
Only going up the road for a night out as that's the only way I will know exactly what I will need & what I won't.

Once there I'll have my sliding door open & will be Chilling Wild style. :lol:
Justsomebloke
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Kedishen » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:50 pm

Graveyards for water if you need it.

If theres no chemicals in your toilet, then lift a sewer somewhere secluded and tip away.

Have fun :D

100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!