*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Custom 120 SWB 1993 Project..

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Transit Custom 120 SWB 1993 Project..

Postby ghost » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:59 am

I got this van a year ago as a spares donor.Was sat on a houseproud ladys drive for a while with a starting problem.(Starter motor & battery.)It drove well so it's been on the firm.
We've used it a few times and been borrowed out a few times.Local peasants mullered door lock & ignition but never got away in it due to flat battery.
MOT is out and tax end of March so thought I'd better get it sorted out.
Engine bay and engine was smothered in oil & grease so I spent a few hours over the weekend with it up on ramps blasting it off with the jetwash.Did all the underside & wheel arches too.Neighbours in yard were well pleased with my river of oily mud.

Underside is good,some peeling seam sealer but nothing major.Usual wings & arches + dents.Steps are good,doors are rot free but plenty of dings.Gash in passenger door.Rear doors scruffy but not rotten.
Had a 50000 mile head with new guides fitted today(was very smoky)& oil/air filter & rear shoes & starter motor.Starts first time and drives great.Will re MOT this week.
Going to order the panels next week(wings & 4 arches) and start the rest of the bodywork hopefully this week...
More pictures when I get the chance to get stuck in...

ghost
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Transit Custom 120 SWB 1993 Project..

Postby rover » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:58 am

Good on ya :D

Another Petrol Transit not going to the scrappy :D

Sure it will be a nice van again!

Rover.
rover
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby madmark » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:50 pm

8) 8) 8) 8)
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby intransit89 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:36 pm

iam gona keep watch on this :D
I'am the only man with no dad as i was created in a chemical spillage in a factory
intransit89
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Gurj51ngh » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:49 pm

done a good job on that engine bay mate! 8)

Construction, Bespoke Joinery & AV fit out services.
Gurj51ngh
Forums Loudest Van!

Postby ghost » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:33 pm

Thanks for your comments....
love a clean bay!Obsessive with the jetwash...
I've parked the van next to my workshop where I can't ignore, so if I get any time the weekend (Yeah right)I'm going to remove the board from the floor of the rear and see what's going on under there.If it's all good I'll give it some more obsessive jetwashing & scrub clean,dry,key-up & stonechip the floor and replace the board.
I've also got a bulkhead with glass & grill but can't make my mind up if I'm going to fit it.
Went through the MOT without drama,tester noticed some scuffing on ns front tyre so I'll get the tracking done.Got 3 very good tyres from a scrap Ducato :twisted: .
And...got 1 G reg Transit to collect Sunday(driving ban victim.) & 1 potential if the customers messer E Bay bidder don't turn up to collect it.It's a 1996 diesel,loads of miles & rust apparently but a few goodies to swap over.I'd like a spare engine for my recovery Transit (http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15776&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=60) so if it's a dog I'll break it.
Hopefully have some anorak progress pictures to post by Sunday...
ghost
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby intransit89 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:49 pm

ghost wrote:Thanks for your comments....

Hi can i ask when you do jet washing on the engine will it be ok after with all the wires? :idea: as i might do mine :wink:
I'am the only man with no dad as i was created in a chemical spillage in a factory
intransit89
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ghost » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:30 am

intransit89 wrote:

Hi can i ask when you do jet washing on the engine will it be ok after with all the wires? :idea: as i might do mine :wink:

All my sales cars get a steam under the bonnet,punters get scared when they see any oil so it has to be done.
I'm careful with modern cars electrickery,do the scary bits carefully with Jizer if needed.I should bag up important stuff really but rarely do.Only ever had 1 car that would not go for a while,immobiliser problem on a Golf.Old diesels get a soaking if needed,this petrol did too.Dried out distributor,sprayed some ignition sealer inside and it's on the button...
Go on,get stuck in....
ghost
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby intransit89 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:34 am

ghost wrote:
intransit89 wrote:

All my sales cars get a steam under the bonnet,punters get scared when they see any oil so it has to be done.
I'm careful with modern cars electrickery,do the scary bits carefully with Jizer if needed.I should bag up important stuff really but rarely do.Only ever had 1 car that would not go for a while,immobiliser problem on a Golf.Old diesels get a soaking if needed,this petrol did too.Dried out distributor,sprayed some ignition sealer inside and it's on the button...
Go on,get stuck in....

I throught it was other way round.
cars get a steam under the bonnet,punters get scared when they see clean :? i perfer to see oil :wink: but if it was ok be then its ok to me :lol:
intransit89
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby the gardener » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:36 am

..IT89 note... he said 'steam' not 'jet', fundamental difference, steam gets the dirt off without a powerful jet of water which is liable to get inside everything. I clean dashboards and upholstery with a Polti medium size domestic steam cleaner but I also have a high pressure nozzle for it which will take stickers and badges.
the gardener
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby intransit89 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:41 am

the gardener wrote:..IT89 note... he said 'steam' not 'jet', fundamental difference, steam gets the dirt off without a powerful jet of water which is liable to get inside everything. I clean dashboards and upholstery with a Polti medium size domestic steam cleaner but I also have a high pressure nozzle for it which will take stickers and badges.

good idea 8) i got a steamer
intransit89
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby intransit89 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:00 am

any up dates on this yet?
intransit89
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ghost » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:37 am

intransit89 wrote:any up dates on this yet?

Not as much as I would have liked.
Picked up a disapointing donor,(Now on its way to china)very short MOT,cracked screen,dents/rust in every panel.got a drivers door with a lock,used lock but door ain't great so I'll end up filling the dings in my own door.Donor had plenty of wood & MDF lining in the back which will get used.
Had an alarm/immobiliser fitted with a loud blue flashing LED in the dash so at least it's fairly secure now.
Topped the tank right up with petrol from a couple of scrappers and used it to get around for a couple of days & delivered a load of tyres.
See if I can get some stuff done the weekend...
ghost
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ghost » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:17 am

Started cleaning back out today.Removed the heavy lump of MDF,swept and vacuumed the worst of the dust/lumps out.Noticed that the rubber floor covering has had hardboard fitted underneath by a kind owner.If it's been done early in its life the floor should be good...Hoping to see tomorrow or sunday.Easiest to strip cab & back out together to clean properly.Seats need a good blast too,full of dust.
Going to remove side boarding too as it wastes space,I'll use the wood to line properly again in the gaps Ford left for us.Thinking of using black carpet tiles to cover.

ghost
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby intransit89 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:51 am

any more up dates on this yet? :wink:
intransit89
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Next

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!