*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Offroad MK3 Camper

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Offroad MK3 Camper

Postby axxez » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:19 pm

Those days I took care about the security and insulation of the van. Not finished yet, as the OSB will get painted and I will put some styrodur on the plates, but it works as designed :)

axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:21 pm

A little offtopic, but here is my 4-in-1 tool for on the road:

1. Drill
2. Angle Grinder
3. Jigsaw
4. Nibbler (when handle is bolted over the jigsaw, so the tool is flipped upside down)

Of course running on 12V battery :D

I actually build my whole van with only those 3 electric devices, although I used 220V tools.

If anyone is interested in this Westfalia tool:

https://www.westfalia.de/shops/werkzeug/saegen/stichsaegen/stichsaegen_zubehoer/1430232-westfalia-blechknabber-und-stichsaege-vorsatz.htm?art_nr=853370&gclid=CJThyqjmztACFckaGwodimkISg&utm_medium=1.+SEA&utm_source=Google%C2%A0Adwords+WWC+Produktdaten+DE%C2%A0%C2%A0%C2%A0%C2%A0%C2%A0%C2%A0%C2%A0&utm_campaign=Google%C2%A0Adwords+WWC+Produktdaten+DE%C2%A0%C2%A0%C2%A0%C2%A0%C2%A0%C2%A0%C2%A0
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:24 am

I got f*** tired of constantly destroyed electrical pumps and weak plastic mixing taps. After some research I found a mechanical foot-pump that works absolutely great! Not cheap for what you get in the end, but it's solid and nice. With a short bit of practise it's easy to create nearly constant water flow in the desired quantity.

Stupid idea: Maybe it is possible to get hot water by putting a candle next to the copper-pipe :D

Here are the pics:

For those who are interested:

This is the pump "Whale Baby Foot MK2":

Those can be found in boat-shops like this:
http://www.segelladen.de/Inhalt-untergr ... pumpen.htm
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:50 pm

Cleaned up a little and made my van ready for a trip. So here is what it looks like when I travel. I will put another net to the left side. It is a solution for the annoying bed-sheets that did't find their space all the time.

I finally extended the led-stripes, what I planned for a long time. First I bought the wrong leds (24v instead of 12v) and now I just bought "warm white", as the rest of the stripes are "cold white". I decided that this was on purpose and for making the van unique, not by mistake.

axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:52 pm

So... For the heating I needed an oven. I built one, which was in the pictures some pages earlier but this one didn't work proper and had some problems. So finally I went for a tent-stove made in England :)
For redundancy or better, a backup I bought a gas-stove for outdoor use and modified it to fit into the tent-stove. Works nice in my testing environment. The deadly fumes are going where they should: through the stove-pipe.
I hope I will survive my crazy ideas... Of course it won't be used during sleep!

axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ceurieusneus » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:52 am

Good work and transformation, congratulations
Pitty I only found this topic when my ambulance was 95% completed. :?
But there is quit some resemblance. 8)
I suspect we are a lot older, so I made our door in between drivers compartment and camper maximum size, for easy acces, even when driving :wink:
Some day ...(time) I will post pictures of mine
Writing was not invented to look for spelling errors :wink:
Ford Anglia '62, Mercedes 200 '86, Transit ambulance/camper '88, Mercedes CE300 '89, caravan Puck '75
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:47 pm

Hey cool, I would love to see some pics! Same van with different interior is always nice to see! Sadly the few of them that appear on ebay from time to time are mostly not well made. They just take out the ambulance-stuff and fit some bed and maybe kitchen (not all of them) which is kinda boring to me.. Insulation: not existent. Most annoying thing before the conversion: the fan in the roof! Actually a nice fan, but there was always a bit of water coming in when it rained. I think it is the same effect that I noted when having my roof-windows a bit open during rain: The rain is falling down and rebounds in an angle from the roof to the inside of the van and falling down again. Nice when you sleep with slightly open windows and get woken up by that.. It is avoidable with the windows, but with this fan it was just bad!

How did you do the door? Maximum size can mean different things. By design, due to the high-top and ambulance conversion there are the following parts over the seats: a white wooden board, which is the first storage over the seats, and then the "old" original metal roof of the van and on top of that the actual fibreglass roof. Did you take any or all of that out? Aren't there also some metal-bars in the way? I didn't touch any of this, as it feels saver in case of the car rolling. It also stopped me from my first idea of creating a bed in the roof.
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:11 pm

Another question: did you change the clutch and / or the rear break-shoes for one reason or another? I just cannot find the exact part number of those two things.. For the clutch there is a small one and a reinforced one, for the break-shoes there are two different 70mm shoes for a big drum or a bigger drum (can post the exact numbers if you or anyone can help). Even my Ford distributor could only break it down to those two break-parts.
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ceurieusneus » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:16 am

transit 003.JPG
As soon as I found out the exact sizes of shoes and cilinders (Transit 100L) I will let you now :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ford Anglia '62, Mercedes 200 '86, Transit ambulance/camper '88, Mercedes CE300 '89, caravan Puck '75
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:37 am

Ok, that's just a little bit bigger and still not too comfortable I guess but more than mine. I like your drivers seat by the way :D
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ceurieusneus » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:19 pm

axxez wrote:Ok, that's just a little bit bigger and still not too comfortable I guess but more than mine. I like your drivers seat by the way :D

I know its not enormous, but for 70 year old, whatever extra is helpfull :D
The drivers seat was only used to shift the van on the property... easy in and out to work :wink:
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:10 pm

Worked on the car again today. As the roof-rack tends to move from left to right, thanks to the big height, I installed some extra aluminium rails. Most roof-racks that you can buy for high roofs do have punctual brackets, for which I would fear they might destroy the plastic roof. I hope it works with those rails, although the load might be also a bit punctual around the mounting-points. But let's see, it feels right and the rack is nearly not moving at all anymore.

I also fired up my new oven for the first time with wood. Works great!!! The heat around the pipes is decent and the fire burns well without smoke going in the wrong direction (when the door is closed). The duct which is originally made for tents got a little bit modified by me, so it should / will work great on the roof of my car. Maybe I can find time to install it tomorrow.

axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:12 am

Theory vs. practice... Looked like an easy job, as usual but then became more complicated. A part of the roof-rack was in the way and also there was an old, closed hole for an antenna that was luckily in the radius of the hole I started to create. So I redesigned the cap.
The locking mechanism doesn't work as designed, as I forgot to calculate the 2mm roof :(

It's not done completely, an inside cover and duct needs to be done. But anyway it works and tonight I will check if it survived the rain.

axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:19 am

Worked on the stove vent today and then tried it out on wood, which is a bit tricky.. The car gets smoked very fast, so for starting a fire it's necessary to open all windows and maybe the door. The heat-shield that I build works good and things are not getting too hot after around 30 minutes of burning. It really doesn't need a lot of wood to produce enough heat for the small room. Tomorrow I might do a longer test run. Fire-extinguisher and enough water always nearby by the way!
I also bought a CO-detector(as well as a smoke detector) and tested it out by holding it directly over the stove-pipes. Works good and would interfere any sleep. Still I would never want to sleep next to it without stopping the fire and cleaning the glow.

axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:58 am

Some more exessive testing led to the conclusion that before things around the stove heat up too much, the heat and air in the car is no more bareable. Outside it was 8 °C and inside I got 24-26 °C, maybe 30-40 °C on the furniture nearby.

axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!