*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rover V8 to Transit MT75 Gearbox Adapter

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Rover V8 to Transit MT75 Gearbox Adapter

Postby thegreathowardo » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:00 pm

Sitting in a Campanile Hotel in Evreux tonight, fuel consumption is around 10 miles per gallon of gas, financial equivalent of 15 to the gallon... not great but with that frontal area and weighing 3500 kg? not bad. We are the weight of 3 cars and the frontal area of 4!!! Video footage to follow when we return from Austria... no, flying there not driving!
thegreathowardo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby thegreathowardo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:38 am

There has been a small problem converting to gas, I am running Rover P6 cast iron exhaust manifolds and I am not entirely sure why but both have cracked across the top of the join between the branches in the middle... excessive heat from gas in the middle or poor heat disipation? Who knows... I had a spare set that I have put on but if it (when it) happens again I'll go tubular, P6 manifolds aren't as common as they used to be, P38 Range Rover ones seem cheap I'll just need to modify the route on the driver's side due to the starter bulge on the gearbox and the steering column (power rack steering on this model of Transit). Other than that she runs very smooth on gas, picks up without any coughs or splutters.

Other updates on the van itself, new lower balljoints, track rod ends and shock absorbers, new front tyres and the tracking sorted. This has highlighted the fact that the vigorous shaking at over 65 was not wheel balance but I am almost sure is the prop bearings being shot, the prop tending to do an impression of a skipping rope. This most probably sodded up the last gearbox. Keeping the speed down to avoid the skipping until I can change them.
thegreathowardo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Leeday » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:20 pm

Love this thread.....
Might buy another mk3 and put a V8 in, but this time do it right :D not use my works van as the conversion vehicle... will get a 2nd van and convert it :D
Cool van ... wolf in sheep's clothing..... nice 8)
1989 Mk3 swb, 3.0 V6 Essex, 5 Speed Manual: http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 3&t=142054
---------------
2005 Mk6 2.0 Duratorq 100 T350 MWB Semi High
---------------
DON'T CHANCE IT.......... TRANSIT!
---------------
Leeday
MK3 Massive

Postby nomadbill » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:14 pm

I've been away from the forum for the best part of a year. Finally managed to log in & catch up. Loving the build. Could I get to talk to Dieselhead and or thegreathowardo for some help advice please?
2003 Transit 280 SWB RWD 2.3 petrol/lpg - broken!!
2007 Vivaro 2.0 CDTi - expensive headache!!
nomadbill
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby thegreathowardo » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:16 pm

nomadbill wrote:I've been away from the forum for the best part of a year. Finally managed to log in & catch up. Loving the build. Could I get to talk to Dieselhead and or thegreathowardo for some help advice please?

Fire away!
thegreathowardo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby thegreathowardo » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Long time since any updates. The gas system seems to crack the old P6 manifolds, well 3 out of 4 seems a poor ratio. So I have fitted Range Rover P38 tubular manifolds. The passenger side is great fits straight on and has no fouling anywhere. The drivers' side has a few issues... 1. it is longer in its down pipe so this needs to be cut ane rewelded to match the passenger side pipe and 2 it needs spacing out from the head so as to clear the old starter bulge on the bellhousing and adaptor plate. This was done ingeniously by getting some slabs of 15mm steel laser cut in the profile of an exhaust flange. I got 12 cut but only needed 8. Obviously a gasket goes in every gap and long studs were cut instead of bolts.
The last pic shows the route of the belt, original Transit steering pump with a Discovery pulley, straight swap. Serpentine engine you will notice has a reverse-spin waterpump!

thegreathowardo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dieselhead123 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:13 pm

Glad the old girl is still plodding on Howard :D

Good news about the P38 headers, they always looked a good option, (relatively cheap pre-used and an efficient design), your ingenious way of clearing the gearbox is sound and deserves credit!

So a single 30mm spacer, one on each port would suffice to clear the gearbox?

Looks like there might be a 4.6 joining the happy RV8 owners soon, your manifold mod should help there.

Keep the progress reports coming,

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby pelmetman » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:20 pm

Is cracking of the exhaust manifold a problem with Essex V6 conversions to LPG? :? ........

Just asking as I'm thinking of going the LPG route........

Seeing as my Fanny's fuel gauge seems to be in a race with the speedo and is currently winning :shock: ........
TOWIE Transit club member .......

Fanny a 99 LWB Semi high roof MK 5......Essex V6 auto
Horace a 90 SWB Ford Travelhome MK 3....2.5 diesel manual
pelmetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Guy88 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:21 pm

as tim said there will be a 4.6 joining the club in my MK1

Keeping the full GEMS ECU and DIS 8)

225 hp and 407Nm befor its chipped
2005 Ford F250 Super Duty
1992 MK3 ambulance
1980 A Series crew cab
1984 A series RB44

REMAPPED BY http://WWW.VANTUNER.COM HE IS THE WAY FORWARD

LIVIN' LOUD
Guy88
Site Moderator

Postby thegreathowardo » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi Tim,
Yes a 30 mm spacer per outlet will do the trick, not sure how the laser boys would be able to cope with 30 mm of steel !... mind you, your water cutting boys may be able to help.... speaking of which, managed to jetwash my thumb the other day, not a good idea, just like a cutter, but healing now.

The down pipes were then blended back into 38mm pipes pointing backward but at least this time along side the gearbox rather than under the crossmember. This should keep the pipes out of the weather and hopefully less hot/cold fatigue. The L P G convertion is fantastic though, starts on gas too, very recommended.

My Range Rover 4.0 HSE is on gas as has the same manifolds as the van now, and there is no evidence of any cracking so I am hoping this will solve the problem once and for all.
thegreathowardo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby layalog » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:04 pm

Can anyone tell me how much you have had to cut of the end of the out put shaft sleeve so it doesn’t touch the clutch drive plate
its not leaking, its just another tear
layalog
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby layalog » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:11 pm

I’ve come back 4yrs from the future
its not leaking, its just another tear
layalog
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby thegreathowardo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:34 am

Yes, Dieselhead has 2 of my old 'boxes so he can measure one for you...
thegreathowardo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!