*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rover V8 to Transit MT75 Gearbox Adapter

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Rover V8 to Transit MT75 Gearbox Adapter

Postby thegreathowardo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:01 pm

This week I have changed the water pump and had the engine running... although the oil pressure seemed down, metallic 'dust' on the oil filler being a bit of a give away and the noisy tappets. I ordered the high pressure pump kit for the P6 engine, essentially longer oil pump gears and a sandwich plate. Plug and play... not. I had to sand the gears ever so slightly to get the pump to rotate without it being clamped by the oil pump base. I reckoned that the oil pressure relief valve had stuck open so I gave the oil pump base a good clean out.

I had to reclean both carbs out as the crap had settled in the base. I also found that I had set the carbs way too lean and so it wouldn't rev, once I had wound the screw in on each carb a couple of turns it all seems fine. Bodywork tomorrow and hopefully MOT next week.

thegreathowardo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby thegreathowardo » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:31 pm

Saturday 26th April 2014...
The exhaust... this is a new old stock silencer from a 3 litre Peugeot 604. I bought two from LCP in Ashford for 40 quid. They were in a pile upstairs of old exhaust parts, unlikely to sell. I used one and then advertised the other. A nice chap from Holland gave me 100 quid for it! Result! Chassis needs a buff and a paint with Hammerite but that will be after the MOT...

From the front it doesn't look too outrageous, the bumper is spaced out by around an inch or so from where it would have been and the grille is around the same... as can be seen here. In real terms this is a lot easier and cheaper than moving the engine and box further back in the chassis.

The dashboard is looking good with its Spitfire style starter button, fuel and ignition switches. Other switches sort the tail lift, radiator fan, panel lights, ignition coil, interior lights in the back and reversing camera. We have oil pressure, water temperature and rev counter mounted on the top of the dash. Original radio, clock, cigarette lighter, heater controls and fog lights are all incorporated. The choke gives the game away that this isn't a nasty diesel powered Transit.

The pegs are holding the vinyl cloth to the dash as the glue sets... and yes the driver's seat is from an XJS, a lot more comfy than the standard Ford item.

Stay tuned folks as the MOT is on Monday 28th April, which means that in two weeks... having sorted any problems, she will be legal. If the engine is just a bit too smoky the replacement will go in, just getting that rebuilt at the moment just in case.
thegreathowardo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby V184 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:17 pm

How bigs your fuel tank ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby thegreathowardo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:34 pm

Well on my recovery truck V8 Transit I fitted a long range Ford Cargo lorry tank, which I think is 25-odd gallons. I averaged around 12-13 miles to the gallon with that BUT it only has a direct 1:1 top gear, the Luton conversion uses Dieselhead's adaptor so you can use the MT75 gearbox with its overdriven 5th gear... maybe good for 15-16 mpg? Hopefully I'll find out in a couple of weeks with its first French trip. I will of course get it LPG-ed soon anyway. By the way that 12-13 mpg was with a Holley 4 barrel, the Luton is running twin SUs...
Last edited by thegreathowardo on Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thegreathowardo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby V184 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:39 pm

Quality :roll: . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby thegreathowardo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:51 pm

...the fuel gauge doesn't work on the large tank so I had to use a long steel ruler and dip it!!! :lol:
thegreathowardo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dieselhead123 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:54 pm

As fuel is cheap in France, the bigger tank you have, the more cheap fuel you can 'import' :wink:

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby thegreathowardo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:03 pm

The weather today 27th April was supposed to be rubbish so I didn't plan too much. I have fitted one of these to the V8 Luton and it works very well... I have wired it in to a switch so I can see whats behind me and watch their startled expressions as I streak away from the lights leaving 4 black lines!
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-wirele ... reen-a11lb
thegreathowardo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby thegreathowardo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:05 pm

dieselhead123 wrote:As fuel is cheap in France, the bigger tank you have, the more cheap fuel you can 'import' :wink:

TIM

Yes, always fill up in Calais on the way back... :P
thegreathowardo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby V184 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:28 pm

Dont think theres a lot in it, petrols dearer than diesel in europe, they havent been "turned over" by a labour gov like us !
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby thegreathowardo » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:16 pm

Ok, MOT failed and hardly surprising as you couldn't see from one end of the unit to the other with all the smoke! It doesn't smoke when driving it but it does when left to tick over. So plan B fit the spare engine, no great shakes, it probably take a day once I have built it. There were only a couple of other issues on the MOT which won't take long. So within 2 weeks we will be up and running and booking that ferry!
thegreathowardo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dieselhead123 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:15 pm

thegreathowardo wrote:Ok, MOT failed and hardly surprising as you couldn't see from one end of the unit to the other with all the smoke! It doesn't smoke when driving it but it does when left to tick over. So plan B fit the spare engine, no great shakes, it probably take a day once I have built it. There were only a couple of other issues on the MOT which won't take long. So within 2 weeks we will be up and running and booking that ferry!

Good news with the mot mate, shame about the engine but at least you have a spare.

Feel free to pop up to the works tomorrow and pick up another spigot bearing and sleeve, you can even have the 'insertion tool'.

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby andypdq » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:38 pm

thegreathowardo wrote:Well on my recovery truck V8 Transit I fitted a long range Ford Cargo lorry tank, which I think is 25-odd gallons. I averaged around 12-13 miles to the gallon with that BUT it only has a direct 1:1 top gear, the Luton conversion uses Dieselhead's adaptor so you can use the MT75 gearbox with its overdriven 5th gear... maybe good for 15-16 mpg? Hopefully I'll find out in a couple of weeks with its first French trip. I will of course get it LPG-ed soon anyway. By the way that 12-13 mpg was with a Holley 4 barrel, the Luton is running twin SUs...

SU's are good for economy, I found them better than Strombergs, a pair of 1 3/4 " SU's from a Jag will give you more go than standard, but are heavier on the juice. I never came accross a 4 barrel, that didn't drink like Oliver Ried. The Rover V8 is my favourite engine, of the ones I've ever owned, I'd love a Chev, or even better a Chrysler Hemi :twisted: The only reason people like V6s is because they've never owned a V8. Windows down and boot it through every tunnel, who needs a radio :lol:

Well done, sir.
The first Mk 6 mechanical TDDI, giving electronics the finger, since April 2013

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNypVH ... dKUN5eJDyQ
andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby thegreathowardo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:13 pm

Today I rebuilt the bottom end of the spare 3500S motor which has just celebrated its 41st birthday. I bet it didn't think it would get a new lease of life, burning up and down the roads in France!!!! This will replace the 'for shape only' V8 that is in the van as it has a serious smoking habit. Many, many thanks to Dieselhead for his time yesterday, the whole experience of his V8 conversion has been a journey of discovery and with all the fine details logged, subsequent V8 conversions will be a lot easier.

Here is the replacement bottom end, it had had a +020 overbore and -010 regrind, I have stripped it and cleaned out all the gunge and carbon but overall a very tight motor.

thegreathowardo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andypdq » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:39 pm

What CR pistons did you go for?
The first Mk 6 mechanical TDDI, giving electronics the finger, since April 2013

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNypVH ... dKUN5eJDyQ
andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!