*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My '96 150 Custom LWB High Top

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: My '96 150 Custom LWB High Top

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:11 pm

And... my soldering failed. Before it did there was a small improvement in the mid range bit nothing dramatic enough to be worth the effort.

It decided to set fire to itself yesterday (nothing to do with my wiring work), the cause is a complete mystery...
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dirtydog » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:46 pm

Not too much damage to the van I hope?
2006 Mk7 115 350 lwb, med high top
2006 Mk7 110 350 lwb, high top camper
dirtydog
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:06 pm

nope

I might have been a bit hasty in my opinion of the rough and ready tuning

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:14 pm

Okay, so I left my house with this van on Monday 22nd and got back a few minutes before midnight last night.

Approximately 1800 miles with the original "unreliable" lucas epic pump with over 200k on the clock, without missing a beat (other than the small fire about 5 miles after leaving home).

A lot of mucking about and then Transitmania. Nothing ususal/different there... except I left, dumped a few bits at the workshop and drove straight to dover to meet up with some members of the transit van club, where we camped on Marine Parade virtually on the beach ready to get on the 5.50am ferry to Calais.

On the ferry we had my van, a mk7 swb (Brett and Donna), Peter Lee (+debs) steve stringer mk2 van, a mk1 Jennings Road Ranger (Paul and Mark), A 66 mk1 camper (stu) and a mk3 frisky camper (Janet and Simon - Freddyvan on here).

Photo taken at about 3.45am

We got of the ferry and drove in convoy to Lommel in Belgium for a nice lunch where we were met by Bridget (a Lommel resident who is a member of the NSVA who has a connect and an econoline) and we went to Fords Proving ground (which is not open to anyone who doesn't have a valid business reason to be there) where we had an excellent presentation about what they did, and were taken around and over the test courses in a mk8 bus (very impressed with that btw) and then a high speed run (circa 240km/h) around their high speed test track and a high speed trip around their handling circuit. They were running tests all the time we were there prototypes etc being tested the whole time we were there. An absolutely fantastic experience - but obviously because of what and where it is there are no photos (except the official group ones which will probably appear on the TVC website at some point) as we had to sign secrecy disclamers. The photo is in the carpark in the center of Lommel

We then headed in to Germany... where we stayed the night in a campsite run by a very friendly german couple. 1 night, currywurst with extra chips, 2 beers (250ml) cost me a grand total of 12E60.

We left the next day we left the campsite at about 7am and headed to the Ford factory in Cologne (Also the european headquarters) where we were made excessively welcome. We were met at the factory by a number of other transit vanners (unfortunately i can't remember all their names) with mk1 and mk2 vans. We were given a presentation about the plant and the history of Ford in Germany and then given a (very good) guided tour of the fiesta plant. Once that was done we were given lunch IN the heritage area where were shown a good selection of the german heritage collection with an excellent guide. The monument is the Henry Ford monument erected on the bank of the Rhine in memory and signed by Henry Ford Junior.

We then took photos etc, and were invited to a small meet at Getrag transmissions where there were all sorts of vehicles including, mustangs, volvo amazon, 2cv, austin healy sprite, even an old caravan. Again everyone was incredibly welcome and we were given pudding (a bit odd bu there we go!) We then went to the next campsite which was excellent.

The next day was a "filler" and we spent the day in cologne having a mooch around and a few beers in the town. We went back to the campsite for a bbq and a few more beers - where we met a nice couple from manchester who had been touring europe for 4 weeks in their (very well done)self built ex city link 11 plate jumbo. One of the other campers said we were on German breakfast telly as a result of the plant trip!

We then headed out to the supernats in Schutterspark in Holland for a van meet, where we met up again with Bridget (in the econoline this time) where once again we all had a fantastic time with live music and plenty of beer and chips!

No good photos as I forgot... sorry

Some of the vans had some small niggles on the trip, but nothing massive. The only problem that actually caused our convoy to stop for a short while was a radiator hose popping off!

Its been the best fortnights holiday I have had - absolutely fantastic. If you had the chance to go on the German trip and didn't you massively missed out! The Transit Van Club meets are often hard to beat, but this has been the best yet!

And once again - this van is brilliant!

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby angusp » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:17 pm

Good write up & photos, enjoyed reading that, thanks.
2000 mk5 100 swb, going.
2005 mk6 350 lwb, not going.
2005 mk6 280 lwb, gone bang.
1996 mk5 190 lwb, gone.
1998 mk5 80 swb, gone.
angusp
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby derv23 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:50 pm

A great read that. Some cracking vans there. Love them Mk 1's & 2's. Geeeorgeous. I'm very envious of your trip , the test proving ground sounds amazing , 150+ mph? Was that in the Mk 8 bus ?
Is that an original pop top on the Mk3 frisky ?
I may just have to pencil in a trip to Germany on a future holiday.
Weather looked great. That camp site was mega cheap, digs grub n booze for just oor a £10 spot! Mental, ha.
Again great read, thanks for uploading.
MK5 Tourneo.
derv23
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:43 am

Yes the friskys pop top is as fitted when new.

I'm not sure I can say what the high speed run and handling circuit was done in (confidentiality agreement) but it was a ford car.

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby transitandy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:06 am

A very good read with some nice piccies too.
well done matt :D 8)
TRANSIT M8, SAY NO MORE YOUR IN...... FORD THROUGH TO THE BONE......
transitandy
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby RustWidow » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:04 pm

Thanks Matt, I enjoyed reading and seeing :)
Old Fords Never Die - some fool keeps repairing them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:09 am

Well I have had my 2nd little (non self inflicted) problem with the EPIC system on the van (1st was tbe faulty ESOS plunger)...

The ECU failed. Not sure why but I suspect it may have been condensation (I will take it apart at some point and check).

I tried putting another ECU in and coding it all up, no luck it just won't play...

I found my spare ECU/PATS/Key Combo and that won't work because the PATS module has a different plug...

So I have done what any sensible person would do... put a Non PATS ECU in until I can get round to sorting it out properly

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:40 pm

Ahhhh nuts!!!

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:08 pm

Errrm... how????

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ned » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:57 pm

Ebajesus how did that happen :shock: N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:28 pm

No idea... changing gear at 50ish mpg. Lost drive, no bang, no noise

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby RustWidow » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:11 pm

MinorMatt wrote:Errrm... how????

Well I never, I've never seen one do that for no Reason! It must have been made wrong.
Old Fords Never Die - some fool keeps repairing them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!